U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best place for all activities, weather, raising family, and young adult fun!
Colorado Springs/Denver 6 50.00%
Virginia beach/Willamsburg 2 16.67%
Sarasota/Jupiter,FL 3 25.00%
Northern Virginia 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 05:22 PM

23 posts, read 45,521 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are cosidering a move to one of the following locations: Virginia beach/Williamsburg, Colorado Springs,CO/Highlands Ranch, or lastly Sarasota/Jupiter Florida. My wife is a nurse and Im self employed contractor, and we are having our first child June 17, 2011. We are familiar with living in Colorado, Ohio, and NOVA-Vienna, and are looking for a great family location, fun activities, parks, outdoor fun, concerts, etc- I love the beach, lake, and green and the wife loves Colorado period with Florida close second. I have researched many locations and visited them all in the past, but I have not lived in any except Colorado and Northern Virginia. I hate coming to this post, but I have confused my self to the point of going nuts. Please for those who have lived, visited, or have friends or family Im interested in your comments. I will say those bugs do not bother me, but my wife &about bugs-she will adjust. Again, looking for your opinion for the best place to raise a family that is very active in outdoors sports, conservative, but open to a little fun here and there.

Thanks so very much for your insight and advice,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 07:31 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,532,799 times
There is no adjusting when one is .... about bugs or spiders! Colorado it is!!

Old 05-03-2011, 07:32 PM

4,743 posts, read 4,381,013 times
I live in Colorado and have paid more than a few visits to NOVA (mainly Arlington and McClean). Know nothing about your other 2 choices.

Colorado Springs is very conservative, has few bugs, and is family oriented. It has plenty of parks, including the very lovely Garden of the Gods Park right there on the west side of town. Breckenridge is close by for winter ski activities, and, depending on which part of town you live in, you can be off into the mountains somewhere in less than an hour.

Rents are not too bad, but the economy is suffering like everywhere else. I read elsewhere on this forum that more people are expected to move to Colorado than there will be jobs created for them. Look before you leap if you decide on Colorado.

Good luck!

Old 05-03-2011, 08:23 PM

23 posts, read 45,521 times
Thanks for the information, we will have jobs lined up prior to move to either destination-Keep the information coming!

Old 05-03-2011, 11:22 PM

4,907 posts, read 9,685,472 times
I find it interesting that you are considering three locations on the east coast, two of which are in Virginia, and then one way out west. Is there a reason for that?

Besides your basic criteria, which probably could be met anywhere in the country, is there anything else to take into consideration? Do you have family, i.e., soon-to-be grandparents on the east coast?

Old 05-03-2011, 11:34 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,734,712 times
I'd narrow down the list by first seeing where each of you can find a good job (and a good range of future job opportunities) and then narrow it down from there. From the recent posts here it sounds like CO is not an easy place to find nursing jobs.

You have to do some real soul searching... which of these places do you think would be more fun to visit vs living year round? I find it hard to believe someone could love CO #1 as their favorite place to live and then put FL as #2-- the two couldn't be more different. And maybe your perfect place isn't even on this list...

Old 05-04-2011, 12:08 AM

9 posts, read 29,824 times
Colorado is nice - but Northern Virginia provides a better chance at employment and still is a great family location. Fairfax County School District is one of the country's best, if not the best. There are plenty of outdoor parks there, and not far from the MD Eastern Shore, or the Delaware or S NJ beaches. Much better restaurant selection, too.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:40 AM

1,598 posts, read 2,758,433 times
If you are close to your family, choose the place closest to your family.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:32 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,889,510 times
I spent 16 years living in Virginia Beach (1990 to 2006 ). During that time the population grew from approx 290,000 to almost a a half million people. Traffic got noticably worse and worse each year. I mostly enjoyed my time there, but I was glad to leave. Living in a much smaller town ( Grand Junction - CO ) suits me much better. Be advised that Virginia Beach is very hot and muggy during June, July, and August. Not uncommon to have an overnite low near 80, with very high humidity. I dreaded the summers in Virginia Beach ( I imagine that Florida would be much the same but for a longer period of time. Maybe 6 months instead of 3 ). Parking at the beach is a big hassle, expense too. Hurricanes are infrequent occurrences, but they do happen. Nor easters are far more common.

The Hamptom Roads area is mired in an ongoing identity crisis for national recognition. It's one of the biggest population centers ( 1.7 million metro area ) that most americans have never even heard of. Also be advised that wages tend to be lower due to the pronounced military presence. Many X- Navy guys in their 40s are retired there. They already have a pension income, so cn afford to work for well below top dollar wages. And that will affect your wages too. They are likely to be much lower than you would earn in NOVA, but living in Virginia Beach is less stressful than living in NOVA... all things considered. Housing might be slightly more affordable in VB than NOVA, but not by much. Real estate got very expensive there in the early 2000's, and prices there have likely not dropped as much as they have in other parts of the country. Recessions there tend to start and end later, and not be as deep as other parts of the country. Again, the stabilizing influence of the military presence. The economy is not as caught up in the boom bust cycle that most of the country experiences. The peaks and valleys tend to be much gentler there.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 05-04-2011 at 08:48 AM..

Old 05-04-2011, 08:41 AM

13,241 posts, read 24,459,300 times
Where is Colorado Springs/Highlands Ranch?

Those two are like 60 miles apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado