U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 08:30 PM

9 posts, read 35,581 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My name is Lori i'm 26, married with a 4 year old and we are hoping to move to Colorado we just don't know where.......If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be extreemly greatful!! We are looking for..........

1. Safe/low crime area
2. Best Schools(for my child)/School districts (I am a teacher)
3. Lakes nearby (I love the water)
4. Mountains for hiking
5. close to a major hospital.....my husband is an RN.
6. Family friendly
7. access to shopping (malls preferably)

If anyone has any ideas or can even just tell me where to stay away from that would be great......Thank you much all!!!!

Lori
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 08:49 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,254,348 times
I think Northglenn or Thornton would be good, major highway accessable, several hospitals within a 10-15 min. drive. adams county schools are pretty good from what i hear (my daughter is only 1.5, so i have no experience so far with the schools), within 30 min. from the mountains and trails. There is an entertainment area called Boondocks near by, along with a couple malls, and great shopping centers, lots of parks.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:20 PM

423 posts, read 1,775,047 times
If you are looking for low crime rate anywhere around the Ft Collins area would be good, especially the smaller towns like Wellington, Severance, Windsor, Timnath, and Berthoud. I have many friends in law enforcement and our crime rate is relatively low around here. There was a brand new elementary school just built in Wellington and there is one to be built in the Timnath area very soon. Our population is growing pretty quickly so I don't think you would have a hard time finding a job. Check out Thompson Valley school district in Loveland or Poudre School district in Ft Collins also. As far as hospitals there is Poudre hospital in Ft Collins, Mckee Medical Center, and Northern Colorado Medical center (brand new Level II trauma hospital) both in Loveland. As far as everything else you are looking for we have it all. The major lakes in the area are Horsetooth, Boyd, and Carter lakes. There are many more that these also. For some good hiking we have Rocky Mountain National Park in Estes Park, and Horsetooth Mountain Park just outside of Ft Collins. There are also biking and walking trails all throughout Loveland and Ft Collins. There is also the Poudre River which offers rafting and canoeing. As far as housing prices you are looking at a nice 3 bedroom 2 bath home for the lower 200,000. There is a new outdoor mall in Loveland, and there is a smaller mall in Ft Collins that isnt the best but they say they are getting ready to reconstruct it so it is more up to date. Also Denver is about a 45 minute drive and easy to get to malls there. Hope this helps you out.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:30 PM

84,977 posts, read 98,832,039 times
Close to a major hospital means metro Denver. There is no real "nursing shortage" most anywhere in Colorado. Most of the big hospitals are in Denver; CU and Children's are moving to Aurora; St. Anthony's is moving to Lakewood (both Denver suburbs).

The other criteria can be met in most any metro suburb. If you want to be closer to the mtns for hiking, live on the west side.

This is not major lake country. Other lakes besides what Tom mentioned are Cherry Creek and Chatfield resevoirs. All are resevoirs.

Teaching jobs are competitive. You would do best to apply to many districts.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:34 PM

88 posts, read 400,730 times
Default Check out Parker

Go to the city of Parker web page. All you seek is there.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:44 PM

9 posts, read 28,693 times
Well have you considered the springs? They have just opened one brand new hospital and finishing another one. And there is a YMCA right next to the hospital that just opened on the north end of town. And there is lots of places to enjoy hikes near by. Just offering another place in this great state to live!

Old 08-02-2007, 02:44 PM

136 posts, read 669,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianGrl88 View Post
Hi,
My name is Lori i'm 26, married with a 4 year old and we are hoping to move to Colorado we just don't know where.......If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be extreemly greatful!! We are looking for..........

1. Safe/low crime area
2. Best Schools(for my child)/School districts (I am a teacher)
3. Lakes nearby (I love the water)
4. Mountains for hiking
5. close to a major hospital.....my husband is an RN.
6. Family friendly
7. access to shopping (malls preferably)

If anyone has any ideas or can even just tell me where to stay away from that would be great......Thank you much all!!!!

Lori
If you know nothing about Colorado, what is your motivation to move to the state? Just curious.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:34 PM

28 posts, read 173,206 times
If you want a true colorado town Durango. Housing is high. They are building a new hospital My wife and I lived there 20 some years. All our best friends we met in Durango. Ft. Lewis college is next to town. Crime WE laugh when watching the local news. This town has so little crime...Friendly people. No Crime, Great skiing, good resturants, Most of all Your children would grow up in a great mountain town. Do yourself a favor and go spend a week in Durango.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 6,066 times
Hi Lori,

I think you're best bet would actually be Highlands Ranch. I know...some people may joke about Highlands Ranch out here...(me being one of them because all the houses tend to look the same, etc.)...BUT...seriously, that place has everything you seem to be looking for!

I don't live in Highlands Ranch, but I am only 10 minutes from there.
It is a safe place to live, with EXCELLENT schools. Douglas County is very highly rated in this area. Chatfield Reservoir is a very popular place right near Highlands Ranch and offers boating, swimming and fishing. C-470 is the major highway that runs past Highlands Ranch. If you head west, Red Rocks Ampitheater is only 10 minutes away, Evergreen is another area not far from here which is beautiful and has a lake. Or...you can take C470 West and connect with I-70 and take that all the way up to Summit County (2 hours away) with all the ski resorts and mountains galore! Rocky Mt National Park is not very far away either. Sky Ridge Medical Center is in Douglas County and Littleton Hospital just down the road, also. Plus, medical buildings are being built very quickly around here it seems! Your husband should have no trouble at all finding a job. And the best part about Highlands Ranch is it's extremely family friendly! A lot of my friends live over there and it seems to me that families are very close and do a lot of activities together. There are also a lot of parks nearby and the area is very clean. If you catch the Light Rail, you can get downtown fairly quickly. Also...Park Meadows Mall is just down the road and is easily to get to off C-470 and I-25 (both major highways out here.)

Hope that helps! Feel free to email me. My husband and I do ALOT of outside activities and have a lot of info.

Gail

Old 08-02-2007, 06:45 PM

9 posts, read 35,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingcol View Post
If you know nothing about Colorado, what is your motivation to move to the state? Just curious.
Well missingcol.....we want to get out of Arizona and I've lived here my entire life so I really don't know much about any other state, Living wise that is, I've been to Colorado a few times to visit (week or two) and I really liked it I just wasn't looking into moving at the time so i didn't investigate that aspect of it......I am actually also looking into the Boston area.

Thank you all for your input I will definitly look into the towns you suggested....And if anyone else has any others please feel free to share

Thanx again,
Lori
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or