U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2007, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 5,468 times

Advertisements

Need to verify the snow fall in the area. I am thinking about moving there from Ohio and need to have to facts. If you don't want snow then where would you suggest i move to. Planning on moving some time in Oct, 2007. Need answers quickly please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 08:56 AM

423 posts, read 1,774,435 times
We get lots of snow all over Colorado. If you don't want any snow Colorado is not the place for you. Go to this web page and it will tell you all the facts about the city. http://www.city-data.com/city/Walsenburg-Colorado.html Looks like they get up to 7 inches of snow in the winter months. This site also talks about the crime rate there. For a city of only 4000 people they sure do have a lot of sex offenders living there.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:30 PM

3 posts, read 13,664 times
Default hello Sissy 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy 54 View Post
Need to verify the snow fall in the area. I am thinking about moving there from Ohio and need to have to facts. If you don't want snow then where would you suggest i move to. Planning on moving some time in Oct, 2007. Need answers quickly please.
Well, I purchased 35 acres south of Walsenburg 3 years ago. My plan was to retire out there and every day I spend here in southern Indiana makes me wish I could move out there now. The talk about wind, snow, etc. are minor things compared to our tornado season, steamy humid summer days, long lasting mushy muddy snows that seem to linger all winter. People will always find faults with any place. They do have occasional deep snows that don't turn to ice or mud like they do here. They often just simply evaporate in a few days in the sun. They termed it a 100 year snow this year. More like 1 in 10 years by my estimate. And although the winds can make the drifts huge, because of the dryness of the snow, the amounts are usually small. I can live with that. I hate mid-west snow, but I've found I love that powdery dry stuff there. Get on the US geo wind chart web site for the area. You will find out that it's not as bad as many people think. It's just that the large open areas don't offer the protection that other areas do and yes, a semi sometimes does blow over on the interstate. I hardly notice it much in the pines. I couldn't have been happier with my decision. I recently built a place to stay when I get out there and I wish I could just stay. Different than we are used to: Fire hazards are real and something to look into if you buy in the pines like I did. Taxes are very low, folks are the nicest and most honest people I've ran into in the whole US and traveling for the government, I've been there. They have time to speak to you and be friendly. And they are much less judgmental and forgiving than people are many places. Yes there are a lot of young kids hanging around with little to do, and the young girls are always overly fascinated with each others pregnancies for some reason. But they are good hearted kids and if the had more opportunities, that wouldn't be the case I believe. Many are Catholic there and they live their faith pretty much. Although it is a poor area, don't think you can build cheap, or fast. They have that all figured out and waiting on you. There are no Amish to be found there. The dryness is almost all good news, except that many people's skin, sinus, hands, lips, get cracked and really suffer from it. Not even a thought around the mid west. I guess the sinus and aleargy problems that I suffer here in the mid west not being an issue out there make that an even trade to me. Having 320 plus days of sunshine a year doesn't hurt too much either. The rain forecasts are a little miss-leading too. Much of the time, the rain never reaches the ground it's so dry, but it looks like it does on the radar. Jobs are a problem. I'd look into Huerfano county over the many around there for many reasons. One of them is that there isn't much natural gas under it. That is a problem, along with owning your mineral rights in many other areas. They can come on your property down around Trinidad and build gas wells pretty much at will and have done so, resulting in ruining many good water wells in the process. Also the water laws in CO are very different. I've come to see that as a good thing, but at first, it seemed over the top. That's why you see many lots now at 35+ acres. There is good water there, but the laws help keep the urban sprawl in check. Denver used to be a beautiful area. Now it's just a continuous sea of homes as far as I'm concerned. Well, I hope that helps. Climb the west Spanish peak and on the way down, your mind will be made up.

Uh um no, no, it's a terrible place, why,... you want no part of a place like that....yes, other places would be better to live...please tell everyone you know it's a bad place to live, OK?

Old 07-21-2008, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,132 times
Default Re: Walsenburg, CO

Sometimes the tiny towns out here in Colorado are the best because they are just overlooked by so many people. We have had property here for over 10 years, and I hesitate to say how wonderful it has been, because I don't want it to get destroyed by too many tourists and too much development. We relocated from Florida, the best thing we ever did, and we wonder why it took us so long. Yes there is snow, but nothing like the miserable grey days and slushy stuff in the midwest. Here, nearly all days are sunny - so there is no such thing as the February doldrums. And the people are just good folk. Someday, industry will figure out that this is where they should be - with a low infrastructure cost and lower cost of living, plus no tornadoes, no hurricanes, no disasterous weather events. Colorado is fast becoming the alternative energy center for the nation. By the next generation, I believe that the entire corridor from Colorado Springs through Trinidad will see drastic growth.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:35 PM

13,629 posts, read 21,483,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hct2420 View Post
By the next generation, I believe that the entire corridor from Colorado Springs through Trinidad will see drastic growth.
I want to mark this down. Try doing a search on Trinidad and my user name and see how similar my latest remarks about the area are. Reps coming your way.

Oh, and as they say in Walsenburg; "AIN'T IT?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado