U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 06:13 PM

11 posts, read 52,966 times

Advertisements

Hey, new here. Moved to Grand Junction from points east in 1997......and just have to say that the "worst" winters here are infinitely better than the best ones growing up on the East coast. Most of the heavy snowfall hits the Grand Mesa, and we typically only get dustings of snow in town....not enough that it's ever really much of a problem for driving. It gets pretty cold sometimes...but it's a crisp, dry cold. Not bitter, damp and bonechilling.

I'd say the same thing about summers....yeah, it gets HOT here in the summer, but when the humidity is as low as it is, I find it to be MUCH more comfortable here on a 100 degree day versus somewhere more humid on an 80-90 degree day. My husband and I joke that you couldn't pay us to move away....we've been pretty spoiled by the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 08:21 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,501,052 times
WithoutaPaddle

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for joining in. I hope to see you posting on a regular basis.

All things considered, the Grand Junction weather is pretty good, especially when compared to the east coast humidity in the summer and the gray days all winter long...even though the winters are warmer in Virginia Beach where I moved from. I'll take the colder, but sunny winters any day of the week.

blessings....Franco

PS: I had the honor of giving you your first reputatuion point.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:02 AM

11 posts, read 52,966 times
Franco, I am a VA native (NoVa) so I hear you on that! Cold but bright/sunny beats grey and bleak any day!

Thanks for the rep, as well.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:49 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,189,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Hey Jazzlover

This is funny, the topic of the thread is 5th Hottest July in Grand Junction! and we're both talking about freezing our butts off. Interesting how the mind resembles a grasshopper at times. Since I started the thread, I've go no problem with it. I'm enjoying your comments. Thanks for participating.

blessings...Franco
You're welcome. Well, if heat is the topic, then the summer of '77 was brutal. I was living in Delta County at the time--and working outside every day. I can't even remember how many days were over 100--it was a bunch. That summer followed the brutally dry '76-'77 winter, the worst drought I could remember up to that time. The Gunnison River was so low that you could walk across it in irrigating boots (knee high, for the uninitiated) and not get wet. Some people with senior water decrees going back a century didn't get water after June. Many junior water right holders never got any water at all that year. Ironically, there weren't a whole lot of forest fires that year, though the country was prime for them. I remember one that got going on the side of Grand Mesa that summer. Fortunately, the monsoon rains did come on in August and put the fire out not long after it started. I came to hate the heat that summer, and still hate it. It is one reason that I bid goodbye to that part of Colorado. I'd rather put up with the cold.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:08 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,501,052 times
I spent the early part of Summer '77 in Mill Valley, CA. The area was experiencing a serious drought, where the washing of cars & watering of lawns were treated as criminal acts. Slogans like, If it's yellow let it mellow....if it's brown flush it down became quite popular. I actually spent most of that summer in Nelson, BC where nothing out of the ordinary transpired weather-wise. Nelson is a great place to spend the summer. Actually, it has a pretty good year round climate, though it does get a good bit of snow. I'd go back there in a flash if I could get my Canadian landed immigrant status back. What an idiot I was to give it up. Oh, the wisdom of hindsight!

blessings....Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado