U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2007, 06:31 PM
 
136 posts, read 669,784 times
Reputation: 37

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Slightly unrelated. I've heard that ex-Californians and ex-Texans are viewed dimly by some Colorado people (As an ex-Californian, I have never experienced this.) The assumption is that many people from those states move to Colorado. I can understand how people from the expensive housing coasts (California, new york, boston, etc.) would move to Colorado and get more housing, less traffic, better schools, less social problems, and better quality of life for their money. This explains the presence of lots of ex-Californians like myself. What I don't understand is the draw to Colorado from similarly priced states like Texas. That is, Why do Texans move to Colorado (or do they? is it only a perception?) There are similarly priced homes in Texas. There are jobs in Texas. Texas seems to be a very balanced state. Many people would prefer hot Texas summers to Colorado winters. So why do Texans move to Colorado?
People have different reasons to move. Even for many ex-Californians here, they are not all due to housing prices and traffics. Since Texas has a so big population base, it is not surprised to see some of them relocating to other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2007, 06:33 PM
 
16 posts, read 53,577 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What I don't understand is the draw to Colorado from similarly priced states like Texas. That is, Why do Texans move to Colorado (or do they? is it only a perception?) There are similarly priced homes in Texas. There are jobs in Texas. Texas seems to be a very balanced state. Many people would prefer hot Texas summers to Colorado winters. So why do Texans move to Colorado?
Well as a native Texan (did y'all notice my user name?), I can say we were drawn to the Reno/Tahoe area from Houston for: 1) Better weather (Houston is miserably hot and humid 6+ months of the year), 2) Much less traffic, 3) Much less smog, 4) Much less crime, 5) Much nicer landscape, etc, etc. There are a lot of Texans in Reno.

A lot of native Texans are die hard, especially those that do not travel a lot. But for us since we had travelled ouside of Texas a lot we were open to change.

We really enjoy Reno but the crime and traffic are getting worse. And housing prices are through the roof (darn Californians!!). We never would have seriously considered moving until we vacationed in Estes Park. We love the weather, small friendly town environment, beautiful landscaping, and even more outdoor activities than Reno. We would like to have horse property in mountainous treed area - not possible in the Reno/Tahoe area unless you can spend over $1MM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2007, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,027 posts, read 98,908,697 times
Reputation: 31481
My husband and I did an informal survey of license plates one time, to see who is visiting here. The winners: Texas, California, and Illinois, I believe in that order. My educated guess is that is who moves here, too.


As for this:
I totally agree that our identity as nation should be founded on tolerence. But that does not mean that I have to be tolerant of rude or snobby people. As mentioned above I travel extensively (including internationally) and have lived in a lot of different areas...I am not fond of some because of the attitudes and actions of people in the area. Other areas I really enjoyed and have very fond memories and close friends that I still keep in touch with.

I do not think you can characterize a whole area of the country as "rude" or "snobby". That's prejudice in its truest form: prejudging someone based on some identifying characteristic. I have found that I am often the first easterner some people have met, and they ask ignorant questions such as "why are you so friendly? You're from the east!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2007, 10:53 AM
 
7,071 posts, read 16,010,779 times
Reputation: 4428
When we moved here (in June 2002) from So Calif, within a 2-week period we got rid of Calif. Driver's License's and got Colorado ones and registered our vehicle with Colorado and got Colorado plates. We wanted to "fit in" as soon as possible. Since we are not originally from So Calif, me/Indiana-wife/Michigan, we knew what 4-seasons were like so we weren't put into "SHOCK" when the snow/cold hit or when we was in our first big thunderstorm.
We think, for the most part, out-of-staters are welcome here, BUT there are those natives and long-time residents who don't like the influx of people into Colorado........one being a guy I work with. Everytime he hears about a California plate that I seen, he tells me "send them all home, it's getting to populated here". One thing is for sure, he is entitled to his opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2007, 12:40 PM
 
Location: cincinnati northern, ky
835 posts, read 2,568,940 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Oh Yes. Colorado is a weather nerd's dream. I moved from LA, a weather nerd's nightmare: Boring, It's like living in a terrarium.

Here's a good local (Palmer Divide, in between Colorado Springs and Denver) meterologist's website with tons of excellent links and downloadable data:

Bill Kappel (http://users.adelphia.net/%7Ebillkappel/Weather.htm - broken link)
if there is a weather nerd on this earth its me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2007, 02:19 PM
 
634 posts, read 1,314,093 times
Reputation: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by grew-up-3rd-culture View Post
"In other words, is Colorado being taken over by snobby or rude outsiders?"

Hi there,

In my experience on this board, it's probably not the best idea to be blatantly isolationistic, or territorial. The American national identity is founded on tolerance of others.
I agree completely - some of you should go lurk in the Wyoming boards. There's a string of posts titled something about bra burning-NOT! on women working outside the home that is interesting. . . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2007, 03:17 PM
 
12,848 posts, read 24,506,085 times
Reputation: 18855
If I move to Colorado, I'll be FROM Massachusetts (although grew up in south Jersey). South Jersey is the largest sandbar in the world, I think. I crave rocks, and rocky mountains and high snow-capped granite mountains. I have bought and sold property in Ridgway, CO, twice now, having bought it while it as dreadfully humid in the East here (and sold when I realized I coudn't figure out how to spend summers out there and still have a job here).
I'm still thinking it through, but think I will be FROM Massachusetts at some point, although maybe only in the summer for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2007, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Live in Grand Junction, CO
12 posts, read 35,470 times
Reputation: 12
Default red neck-bike haters

Moved to Grand Juction about 3 years ago. Just me, myself and I. No drug using kids, no animals. Came from LA, CA, yeah I know, but that is where I was born. Left as soon as I was able. Will always be grateful to CO for that job offer that got me out of Calif.

Now the facts on the Western SLope. It is beautiful here. Can ski up at Powderhorn 1 hour away, Co. Nat Monument 10 min. away, Colorado River runs through town, river rafting it is all here, including the growth!

Problem is, no infrastructure to support the growth. Most of it by the energy sector. That is not the worst. I am single, no kids, no husband. I am attractive and athletic. There are no single men in this town. It is a married person's town! Remember that! I have been on Match and now on fitness singles, and for someplace that has so much outdoor action, you could never tell by the types to be found here!

Most importantly, they hate road cyclists here. I ride all over this valley and the near misses are starting to terrify me!!! I've ridden in LA and have not had 1/10th the harrassment issues (from cars and red necks) tha I have had in my 3 months here. There are no bike paths in or around this town. You ride the white line in fear for your life.

I work at a the major med ctr here. They treated me great in the beginning, but they now there is no competition for employees to jump to, so they treat you like **it! Life is too short for all this BS. The wages are depressed as well. My property taxes just went up over $300. and no raise this year! It costs hundreds to heat your home here in the winter, even though this is where all the natural gas drilling is happening. YOur public officials are corrupt.

The mtn biking may have been great at one time, but those days are over. With all the growth, the trails have been hugely impacted. There are not enough trails here to support the growth. You have Fruita right down the road (Mt bikers will no this town) and they basically only have 2 trail systems to support all the tourists and locals!!!! There were more trails in the LA basin and less people on them.

I'm leaving, I have a beautiful home that is for sale, and I am looking at other areas where cyclists are not hated as much, any suggestions????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2007, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,027 posts, read 98,908,697 times
Reputation: 31481
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
I agree completely - some of you should go lurk in the Wyoming boards. There's a string of posts titled something about bra burning-NOT! on women working outside the home that is interesting. . . . . .
The Idaho forums are full of anti-outsider stuff. Worse than anything I ever experienced here. I've been told "you're ok for an easterner"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2007, 04:21 PM
 
16 posts, read 53,577 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by landsharkviki View Post
Moved to Grand Juction about 3 years ago. Just me, myself and I. No drug using kids, no animals. Came from LA, CA, yeah I know, but that is where I was born. Left as soon as I was able. Will always be grateful to CO for that job offer that got me out of Calif.

Now the facts on the Western SLope. It is beautiful here. Can ski up at Powderhorn 1 hour away, Co. Nat Monument 10 min. away, Colorado River runs through town, river rafting it is all here, including the growth!

Problem is, no infrastructure to support the growth. Most of it by the energy sector. That is not the worst. I am single, no kids, no husband. I am attractive and athletic. There are no single men in this town. It is a married person's town! Remember that! I have been on Match and now on fitness singles, and for someplace that has so much outdoor action, you could never tell by the types to be found here!

Most importantly, they hate road cyclists here. I ride all over this valley and the near misses are starting to terrify me!!! I've ridden in LA and have not had 1/10th the harrassment issues (from cars and red necks) tha I have had in my 3 months here. There are no bike paths in or around this town. You ride the white line in fear for your life.

I work at a the major med ctr here. They treated me great in the beginning, but they now there is no competition for employees to jump to, so they treat you like **it! Life is too short for all this BS. The wages are depressed as well. My property taxes just went up over $300. and no raise this year! It costs hundreds to heat your home here in the winter, even though this is where all the natural gas drilling is happening. YOur public officials are corrupt.

The mtn biking may have been great at one time, but those days are over. With all the growth, the trails have been hugely impacted. There are not enough trails here to support the growth. You have Fruita right down the road (Mt bikers will no this town) and they basically only have 2 trail systems to support all the tourists and locals!!!! There were more trails in the LA basin and less people on them.

I'm leaving, I have a beautiful home that is for sale, and I am looking at other areas where cyclists are not hated as much, any suggestions????
Really sory to read of your experiences. Although I am not single (married with two kids and two dogs), I read on another post that Denver was rated as the top (or near the top) for singles.

One thing we love about Reno/Tahoe and Colorado is all of the outdoor activities. I grew up in the Houston area and it is just way too hot and humid for outdoor activities. We are really impressed with all the bike lanes, trails, dog parks, etc. Main reason we are considering a move is the increase in crime. It is still relatively low, but increasing.

Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top