U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 03:31 PM

16 posts, read 53,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
The Idaho forums are full of anti-outsider stuff. Worse than anything I ever experienced here. I've been told "you're ok for an easterner"!
For the record, I did not mean to associate "where people move from" with "snobby" or "rude". I realize I did exactly that, but it was not my intention. As I posted before I have lived all over and maintain friendships with people in all areas. We had wonderful neighbors in PA that moved out from Long Island. And the same holds true with friends from CA.

I apologize for making a curiousity question turn into a prejudice question.

Thank you for answering with the informal license plate method, TX, CA, and NY were my observations (plus a lot from NE, but i expect they are vacationing rather than moving). For what it's worth, CA, TX, and NY should provide a good mix of culture.

When we moved from Houston to Reno we were very concerned that Reno had such little diversity. We prefer to live in a diverse area and want the same for our kids. Colorado seems to be similar to Reno in this respect (at least from looking at city/state data). Hopefully if more people continue to move in this will change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 03:40 PM

84,961 posts, read 98,795,031 times
TahoeTexan: Apology accepted. You are right about the Nebraskans, most of them just vacation here, for a while anyway. My DH is from Nebraska and he learned about Colo vacationing here as a kid. Whenhe finished his PhD and had to go somewhere to look for a job, he said "Colorado"! One also sees a lot of Minnesota licenese plates here, but I think they mostly go back to Minn.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:04 PM

38 posts, read 111,144 times
Default Hope you aren't moving here

MUCH FRIENDLIER STATES ELSWHERE.

BEST OF LUCK.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTexan View Post
I understand that Colorado in general has had a lot of non-Coloradoans moving into the state. Where do you meet people from and what is your polite opinion of them?

In other words, is Colorado being taken over by snobby or rude outsiders? Or is the state becoming more diverse with outsiders and remaining a fun place with enjoyable residents?

I have only visited the Estes Park and Ft Collins area and was pleased with the people I met.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:12 PM

857 posts, read 3,654,728 times
Haha... I live in Texas and I'm considering a move to Colorado. I vacationed at Rocky Mtn NP in 2001 and went to a grocery store in Estes Park for food. There was this really rude family with bratty kids that kept ramming their carts into me, really ticked me off -- I got out of there ASAP and put the groceries into my car to get to the park and away from that stupid family as quickly as I could.

Then I noticed all the license plates in the parking lot row were from Texas.

Then I noticed those bratty kids getting into one of those cars with Texas plates.

In the park, all of the people camping nearby had Texas plates. I remember there were a bunch of California plates too, but not near the number of Texas plates.

I can tell you -- I know I'd pay more for housing and probably not have as many job opportunities, but the Dallas area is FLAT and BORING. No ocean. No mountains. The major pastimes are eating and shopping. There are, of course, other things to do -- but they got exhausted pretty quickly. I want forest, mountains, rivers; hiking, camping in reasonable temperatures more than 2 or 3 weeks of the year; to be nearer to quiet, beautiful places like Rocky Mountain. I know too many people want that, and that will destroy it, and it actually factors into thinking about whether to move (do I want to be part of the destruction, or should I get in while the getting is good?).

Old 08-06-2007, 10:15 PM

49 posts, read 245,044 times
My husband & I just moved to Colorado about six weeks ago. We moved from Florida where we lived for 6 years and before that we lived in Alabama for
around 50 years. We bought a home in the SE part of Colorado and so far we have found the people to be the friendliest and the most REAL people we've ever met. Also homes are affordable here. I'm looking forward to having the four seasons again without the humidity of Alabama. What led to our moving here was .......a couple of times while at the Daytona Beach VA clinic, someone would be talking about how beautiful Colorado is and that they would be moving back here when they got a chance. With that, we decided to check it out.....and are glad we did!

Old 08-07-2007, 11:33 AM

16 posts, read 53,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingup View Post
My husband & I just moved to Colorado about six weeks ago. We moved from Florida where we lived for 6 years and before that we lived in Alabama for
around 50 years. We bought a home in the SE part of Colorado and so far we have found the people to be the friendliest and the most REAL people we've ever met. Also homes are affordable here. I'm looking forward to having the four seasons again without the humidity of Alabama. What led to our moving here was .......a couple of times while at the Daytona Beach VA clinic, someone would be talking about how beautiful Colorado is and that they would be moving back here when they got a chance. With that, we decided to check it out.....and are glad we did!
Thanks for the note and I am happy read you have found many friendly people. I know what you are saying about humidity and four seasons.

"Affordable housing" is a relative term and it really pains me to see locals/natives unable to afford nice homes in the area they grew up. But the challenge is that home prices rise faster in desireable area. So do you want to live in a diserable nice area with expensive homes, or a less desireable area with less expensive homes?

Old 08-07-2007, 08:25 PM

49 posts, read 245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTexan View Post
Thanks for the note and I am happy read you have found many friendly people. I know what you are saying about humidity and four seasons.

"Affordable housing" is a relative term and it really pains me to see locals/natives unable to afford nice homes in the area they grew up. But the challenge is that home prices rise faster in desireable area. So do you want to live in a diserable nice area with expensive homes, or a less desireable area with less expensive homes?
The area we've chosen would probably be 'less desireable w/less expensive homes' to most people but I see it as our comfort zone! This area is quiet, w/down to earth people....what I call REAL people....and very laid back. The homes are in a safe neighborhood w/neighbors looking out for each other. If we'd chosen a home we could afford in one of the larger areas, we would be worried about crime & etc.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingup View Post
The area we've chosen would probably be 'less desireable w/less expensive homes' to most people but I see it as our comfort zone! This area is quiet, w/down to earth people....what I call REAL people....and very laid back. The homes are in a safe neighborhood w/neighbors looking out for each other. If we'd chosen a home we could afford in one of the larger areas, we would be worried about crime & etc.
I would really like someone to define REAL people.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:36 AM

50 posts, read 289,897 times
Default real people

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I would really like someone to define REAL people.
I'll play...."real people" ~ those who are too busy finding and living their bliss to be worried about imagery and trying to keep up with the "Jones'" (those who buy completely into the lure of the advertising world and surround themselves with scads of unnecessary "imagery toys", such as Hummers). These "real people" can be detected more easily than "non-reals" as they will smile, make eye contact and act in a friendly, civilized manner. They make excellent neighbors.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:46 AM

I guess you didn't get my sarcasm from last night. (I was really tired.) People who move somewhere are always finding REAL people there, unlike the "fake" people they left behind. Interestingly, those who move TO Colorado find real people there, those who move FROM Colorado find real people where they move to.

There is certainly a "Keeping up with the Jones'" mentality here, especially in "how many fourteeners have you climbed", etc, etc. Go to any high school and look at the late model cars in the parking lots.

We lived in several lower-income neighborhoods. We never even met most of our neighbors. Here in this more middle-class 'hood, it is different. We do know each other. And as for worrying about crime in the higher-end 'hoods, well, crime is associated with poverty. The neighborhood experience, IMO, is highly dependent on just who lives there, and not on their incomes or the prices of their houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or