U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 07:38 AM

50 posts, read 290,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I guess you didn't get my sarcasm from last night. (I was really tired.) People who move somewhere are always finding REAL people there, unlike the "fake" people they left behind. Interestingly, those who move TO Colorado find real people there, those who move FROM Colorado find real people where they move to.

There is certainly a "Keeping up with the Jones'" mentality here, especially in "how many fourteeners have you climbed", etc, etc. Go to any high school and look at the late model cars in the parking lots.

We lived in several lower-income neighborhoods. We never even met most of our neighbors. Here in this more middle-class 'hood, it is different. We do know each other. And as for worrying about crime in the higher-end 'hoods, well, crime is associated with poverty. The neighborhood experience, IMO, is highly dependent on just who lives there, and not on their incomes or the prices of their houses.
I did catch the sarcasm but also thought you posed a "real" question, so thought I'd take a stab at it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 09:42 AM

739 posts, read 2,676,793 times
to landsharkviki,

i'm sorry you've had a hard time in grand junction. I would highly recommend denver or boulder for what you are seeking... not to mention TONS of singles here as well as lots of options in your profession I would assume (you mentioend major med center)

Old 08-08-2007, 07:02 PM

85,013 posts, read 98,876,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post
I did catch the sarcasm but also thought you posed a "real" question, so thought I'd take a stab at it.....
Well, I did pose a real question. I was interested in how someone defines a "real" person, as opposed to . . . what?

Old 08-09-2007, 09:25 PM

49 posts, read 245,184 times
Default real people

Maybe using 'true people' would help some of you to understand what I'm trying to say.....I'm speaking from my experiences only.
By the way.....does anyone know the definition of sarcasm?

Old 08-12-2007, 08:55 AM

431 posts, read 2,501,735 times
Quote:
Well, I did pose a real question. I was interested in how someone defines a "real" person, as opposed to . . . what?
It is a real question. Another word used on this forum is "culture". I too would be interested in how someone defines "culture", as opposed to...what? IMO it is one of those in the eyes of the beholder things. What is real person to one is someone they can relate with and to another they may be shallow etc. Same with culture, some may think long haired music, operas etc. To others they would rather take a beating. Does that make someone "unreal" or someone who enjoys nature (for instance) uncultured? Or one that enjoys med. dry wine less cultured that those that expensive dry?

Old 08-12-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
It is a real question. Another word used on this forum is "culture". I too would be interested in how someone defines "culture", as opposed to...what? IMO it is one of those in the eyes of the beholder things. What is real person to one is someone they can relate with and to another they may be shallow etc. Same with culture, some may think long haired music, operas etc. To others they would rather take a beating. Does that make someone "unreal" or someone who enjoys nature (for instance) uncultured? Or one that enjoys med. dry wine less cultured that those that expensive dry?
I hate to put words in other people's mouths, but I think what Nadine and I are both saying is that we know who we are, and we don't like being compared to someone else's definition of a "real" person or a "cultured" person. Most of these definitions seem to be in the eye of the beholder.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:27 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,246,655 times
OMG, I guess this means I can't move to Denver....I'll be bringing a triple whammy with me....ex-Californian, ex-Texan, and ex-Floridian.

Maybe if I promise to be real nice........

Old 08-14-2007, 10:04 PM

49 posts, read 245,184 times
Quote:
I hate to put words in other people's mouths, but I think what Nadine and I are both saying is that we know who we are, and we don't like being compared to someone else's definition of a "real" person or a "cultured" person. Most of these definitions seem to be in the eye of the beholder.
Didn't know that anyone was comparing you or Nadine to anyone or anything. I was just saying people I've had the pleasure to meet are real.....true......genuine.....not artificial. And I do agree that most all definitions seem to be in the eye of the beholder. For instance....the definition of sarcasm is 'a cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound'. I believe if people knew the true meaning of sarcasm, it would not be used so loosely.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:09 PM

I didn't say anyone was comparing me to Nadine. We both agreed on that issue, is all. And just because a dictionary definition of sarcasm includes "intended to wound" does not mean I used it that way. I think referring to certain people as "genuine" and others as "fake" is silly and I was trying to point that out. Apparently, I did not make my point.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:48 PM

102 posts, read 293,572 times
I lived in Denver for 7 1/2 years and I was born in Iowa. I have lots of friends who were raised in CO, but yes it's become a very popular state and has lots to offer so it does have a lot of transplants. It's a running joke that no one in Denver is actually from Colorado these days. All that said, I did hear some backlash against people from California and Texas. I think people resented the cash Californians brought in and the lack of winter weather driving skills from both Californians and Texans. You'll still run across some "Native" bumper stickers but overall I found people to be friendly without being too obtrusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or