Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:10 AM

16 posts, read 58,408 times

Advertisements

I understand that Colorado in general has had a lot of non-Coloradoans moving into the state. Where do you meet people from and what is your polite opinion of them?

In other words, is Colorado being taken over by snobby or rude outsiders? Or is the state becoming more diverse with outsiders and remaining a fun place with enjoyable residents?

I have only visited the Estes Park and Ft Collins area and was pleased with the people I met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 11:18 AM

423 posts, read 1,959,845 times
I think that the out of state people come here and adjust to our lifestyle for the most part. People move here for the nice communities and I think it is contagious to be nice. Of course you are always going to have your sour apples in the bunch, but not all of these are from out of state either.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:40 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
I have met a lot of Southerners since moving down to Boulder/Longmont. I don't think there's much difference between people here and anywhere else altho I find Coloradoans a tad more approachable in that you can strike up a conversation with a total stranger in the checkout line and nobody treats you like a weirdo.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:17 PM

835 posts, read 2,856,587 times
well i'll be a resident in colorado in about a month and a half and i am coming from ky, i am coming for the mts ( hence my move to evergreen), the city of denver the rrcc in lakewood and for its mild but crazy weather, i want to get into meteorology and its a fascinating place to start there can be tornadoes dow n on the plains and up over into the hills there can be a raging snowstorm and in between God knows what!

Old 08-02-2007, 12:29 PM

396 posts, read 399,629 times
"In other words, is Colorado being taken over by snobby or rude outsiders?"

Hi there,

In my experience on this board, it's probably not the best idea to be blatantly isolationistic, or territorial. The American national identity is founded on tolerance of others.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emmerling View Post
I think that the out of state people come here and adjust to our lifestyle for the most part. People move here for the nice communities and I think it is contagious to be nice. Of course you are always going to have your sour apples in the bunch, but not all of these are from out of state either.
Glad to hear. That is what I am hoping for.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
...altho I find Coloradoans a tad more approachable in that you can strike up a conversation with a total stranger in the checkout line and nobody treats you like a weirdo.
Also glad to hear. I travel extensively across the nation and have lived in Texas, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Nevada, and New York. I have found that people do act differenlty and hold different values based on how and where they were raised. That is what makes America such a great place.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grew-up-3rd-culture View Post

Hi there,

In my experience on this board, it's probably not the best idea to be blatantly isolationistic, or territorial. The American national identity is founded on tolerance of others.
I totally agree that our identity as nation should be founded on tolerence. But that does not mean that I have to be tolerant of rude or snobby people. As mentioned above I travel extensively (including internationally) and have lived in a lot of different areas...I am not fond of some because of the attitudes and actions of people in the area. Other areas I really enjoyed and have very fond memories and close friends that I still keep in touch with.

Just trying to get as much information on Colorado as possible before up rooting my family and moving 1100 miles.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:07 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Default Do Texans move to Colorado?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTexan View Post
I understand that Colorado in general has had a lot of non-Coloradoans moving into the state.
Slightly unrelated. I've heard that ex-Californians and ex-Texans are viewed dimly by some Colorado people (As an ex-Californian, I have never experienced this.) The assumption is that many people from those states move to Colorado. I can understand how people from the expensive housing coasts (California, new york, boston, etc.) would move to Colorado and get more housing, less traffic, better schools, less social problems, and better quality of life for their money. This explains the presence of lots of ex-Californians like myself. What I don't understand is the draw to Colorado from similarly priced states like Texas. That is, Why do Texans move to Colorado (or do they? is it only a perception?) There are similarly priced homes in Texas. There are jobs in Texas. Texas seems to be a very balanced state. Many people would prefer hot Texas summers to Colorado winters. So why do Texans move to Colorado?

Old 08-02-2007, 05:14 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
well i'll be a resident in colorado in about a month and a half and i am coming from ky, i am coming for the mts ( hence my move to evergreen), the city of denver the rrcc in lakewood and for its mild but crazy weather, i want to get into meteorology and its a fascinating place to start there can be tornadoes dow n on the plains and up over into the hills there can be a raging snowstorm and in between God knows what!
Oh Yes. Colorado is a weather nerd's dream. I moved from LA, a weather nerd's nightmare: Boring, It's like living in a terrarium.

Here's a good local (Palmer Divide, in between Colorado Springs and Denver) meterologist's website with tons of excellent links and downloadable data:

Bill Kappel (http://users.adelphia.net/%7Ebillkappel/Weather.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado