U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 05:23 PM

13,079 posts, read 11,836,664 times
An example of what Jazzlover is referring to would be an experience I had coming up highway 285 from New Mexico in the Summer of 1997. The timing belt off my Pontiac broke right at the NM/Colo border, with the car coasting to a stop.

Maybe 5 minutes later a vehicle came along and the folks gave me a ride to Antonito, about 8 miles up the road. The lady took me to her personal mechanic who lived maybe a couple blocks from the Cumbres/Toltec railroad depot. He dropped what he was doing, brought me back to my car, and towed me to his shop using a 20 foot towing chain. I spent the night in a mom and pop motel still in business (closed now). They only charged me $15 as it was a room w/o a tv set as the other rooms were rented. That next morning when the bus came through he got me fixed up in about a half hour. Only marked up the part $5, charged $15 for the service call, and a half hour labor for putting on the belt (which is about right, on Pontiacs they are easy to work on). He could have and should have charged more and I told him so. He just shrugged his shoulders and said, "naw, we're not big city here."

They aren't. Antonito gets rarely a mention on this forum. They live simply and a good number of residents there have families going back further than when Colorado became a state (1876). How simply do they live? It's been a while since I've been through there but their city streets were still gravel. I have respect for people who live simply. A small mom and pop grocery store serves the city and for most anything else you go to Alamosa.

And Alamosa is another friendly town who has been dealt some real adversity recently. Just about a week ago a fire roared through downtown taking out several businesses. I've run across some nice people in the San Luis Valley. That area of the state doesn't get a lot of mention here on the forum and with the exception of the Great Sand Dunes National Monument and the Cumbres Toltec train they aren't hitting the lotto on tourism. But the people who live there are a hardy bunch. You have to be hardy to live in a climate like that. If I wasn't nailed down to where I'm at now, I would have no qualms about living in the towns of Del Norte, Alamosa, Antonito, and Monte Vista. None whatsoever.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-13-2011 at 07:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 05:24 PM

2,314 posts, read 3,794,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Transplant View Post
. . .
I have every right to roll my little cart down the soup aisle at King Soopers. . .
Soup? No soup for you.
(With apologies to the Soup Nazi) Oops, sorry. That's NY, not Colorado.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:44 PM

331 posts, read 556,223 times
It's been my experience that people from small towns are more outwardly friendly than people in bigger cities as well. This is pretty common. I've also had much friendlier exchanges with people from small towns in other states, whether they are "native" or not. I just happen to have met a higher ratio of unfriendly people to friendly people in CO than other places I've lived. However, this is only the 4th state that I've lived in, so it's not exactly a large sample size to judge from. I've also met some great people here (none of which are 'natives,' believe it or not), and I'd say they make up for the unpleasant ones. I'd have to say though, the beautiful landscape and availability of mountain sports (and my current job) are definitely what keep me here.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:09 AM

112 posts, read 185,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliemac View Post
Overall, I find Coloradans very polite and friendly, just not too interested in much beyond a nod or a wave in the driveway. Time will tell .. its only been 6 months. Hoping the summer weather brings out the best in folks
I don't understand why being polite, yet private, is a bad thing. So much to where the summer weather needs to bring out "the best in them"? I guess I just don't get why people need to be the same or else other people are uncomfortable. What is wrong with keeping to yourself, doing an honest day's work, and going home to your family? I used to live in San Diego, CA and I personally found the people to be judgmental and invasive. Being a private person seemed to mean that you were a closet serial killer or something. I'm amazed at how people jump to the conclusion that one is "mean" or "scary" because they do not talk much. "Mean"??? How old are we anyway? I'm looking forward to moving to a place where everybody just minds their own friggin business!!! I've heard that Seattle and the Mountain region are good places for that. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Last edited by queenvic; 01-10-2012 at 10:22 AM..

Old 01-10-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
She is actually a good kid except for a few days out of the month
Nice one. Very progressive.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
People are loathe to admit it, but the biggest thing that has destroyed a sense of neighborhood in metro areas is the @#$%^&ed automobile, or--more correctly--the way we now use them in metro areas. When kids actually had to walk their neighborhoods and didn't have soccer Mom to drive them everyplace or drive themselves once they hit age 16, schools were neighborhood schools, shopping was available in the neighborhood, the streets were actually walkable and usually safe, and neighborhoods actually functioned like a community with a community identity. Putting everyone in cars--and designing suburbia so that a car was a necessity--destroyed the entire culture of neighborhoods within metro areas. Whatever "freedoms" and benefits the automobile brought to American metro areas--and there have been many--will likely be overshadowed by the destruction of culture and civility that the automobile-centric way of living we now "enjoy" has brought to us. Of course, most Americans--brought up in the "suburbia" culture--are so brainwashed and ignorant that they don't know what has been lost, and there are few people who know any different to tell them. That's a real tragedy.
Brilliantly stated! I wrote a 20 page research paper recently on American society's car dependent culture, how it has developed into a sickness of dependency, and how we are led to believe that this is something that we all need. I laugh at some of these car commercials because of how they continue to spread their brainwashing to sell their product. Most people do not think about it, so I'm glad you shed light on this matter.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:47 PM

5,071 posts, read 3,146,791 times
I think it depends on the person. I'm from a small town in the south, but I don't find people in CO to be mean compared to where I'm from. There are friendly people and mean people in any place you go. If someone isn't friendly then I'll move on and talk to someone who is.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:12 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,553,316 times
We're ALL mean here.
http://joerob.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Judge-mean-old-man.jpg (broken link)
RP

Old 07-30-2013, 06:24 AM

1 posts, read 528 times
I was brought to Colorado from Texas when I was a 12. What was my mother thinking, right? I have always noticed the difference in culture, and have a hard time meeting new people. There's no friendly "Hello" as you pass someone in the mall. I don't think most people are straight up mean, they just don't want to know you.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:53 AM

2,026 posts, read 974,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenvic View Post
I wrote a 20 page research paper recently on American society's car dependent culture, how it has developed into a sickness of dependency, and how we are led to believe that this is something that we all need.
Welcome back from cryogenic sleep! I should let you know that the world has been dependent on cars for 100 years now. Now we have these little gadgets that people stare into constantly, especially while they're driving. I'll tell you more about it, very slowly, when you're ready. (I hope you saw the humor in that)

People are not any meaner in Colorado then they are anywhere else. The bigger difference is between city dwellers and country folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado