U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2007, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Colorado
431 posts, read 2,507,296 times
Reputation: 212

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Mama View Post
Nadine said: "Why are there so many rafting companies on the Arkansas River from above Buenie thro Canon City? And Rescue and Fire come here to practice and learn water rescue from other states? I have had people make fun of our River and say--that's no river, that's a creek! So why is it so desirable for rafters etc? I also know people underestimate this river in this area and when they do, they usually pay badly. I am not asking in an argumentative way. I just want to know."

Nadine, LOL re "that's no river!" Actually, by some standards the Arkansas river in Colorado is a piddlin' little stream. BUT ... it has 3 sections with a spectacular drop in feet per mile offering world class rapids and stunning scenery -- the Narrows above Buena Vista, Browns Canyon between BV and Salida, and the Royal Gorge just above Canyon City. The Arkansas River draws olympic kayakers because the rapids here are so technical. And really big especially during high water in the spring! And always way too much fun!

Yes, people do get hurt rafting, but it's almost always because they try it on their own with no idea what they are getting into and without the proper equipment or training. Colorado's professional licensed whitewater outfitters, on the other hand, have an excellent safety record (statistically, you're more likely to get hurt in a car wreak driving back and forth than from actually rafting in Colorado -- although the Royal Gorge at high water is no place for kids, timid adults or anyone with a back problem).

The rafting season is almost over for this year (we're taking Cub Scouts down now), and I won't turn this into a commercial for my company, but if anyone is interested (either in one last summer fling, a wild trip next Spring when the water is high, or training as a guide for next year) feel free to PM me.

MM
OK thanks. Oh I know that the Arkansas River is small here but after all, big rivers have to start somewhere and at Fremont Pass it is just a spring. So really it grows quickly in a short distance. Fremont Pass is 11,318 and Canon City is 5348 that is around 130 miles, that is an approximate. The river has got to somewhere close because the road only swings away from the river in some canyons.

People don't get lost only from rafts, intertubes or kayaks. Cars have gone off into it and never found, foolish people thinking they can drive across with a jeep, the list goes on and on. What you see above the river is what is below the water in some places. Kids swimming in a water hole and an under current catching them. My husband is a survivor of one such water hole that the kids swung by a rope out and into at the Black Bridge just below where the toursist train depot is . The current caught him and then dumped him out on the shallows and another kid pulled him out. He was unconscious. Lucky boy! That was more than 60 yrs ago. Some have not been so lucky. The river changes continuously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2007, 08:30 AM
 
50 posts, read 290,483 times
Reputation: 52
Default river accidents

I just read yesterday's Denver Post article "Rough Waters" about the high number of deaths this year on the Arkansas (5) and remember that when I first moved to Salida in 1997 I was shocked by the number of deaths on the river that summer--I can't remember the total but it seemed VERY high--the phrase "river of death" came to mind. I did a raft trip many years ago on the Gauley River in West Va. and it was wild and fun. But now that I'm older and wiser (or more afraid?) I don't feel the need to willingly embrace any activity which is so life threatening (and I know know that driving a car is life threatening and yes I do drive). It appears that some tourists may not respect the river and look on a raft trip as some totally controlled and safe experience, like a ferris wheel, and of course it's not. The Arkansas is an incredible river, much more impressive to me in it's "piddling" upriver phase than it's "big muddy" phase in Little Rock. I'm not sure the point of this post....rivers will be rivers and people will be people and when the two meet accidents will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2007, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Colorado
431 posts, read 2,507,296 times
Reputation: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post
I just read yesterday's Denver Post article "Rough Waters" about the high number of deaths this year on the Arkansas (5) and remember that when I first moved to Salida in 1997 I was shocked by the number of deaths on the river that summer--I can't remember the total but it seemed VERY high--the phrase "river of death" came to mind. I did a raft trip many years ago on the Gauley River in West Va. and it was wild and fun. But now that I'm older and wiser (or more afraid?) I don't feel the need to willingly embrace any activity which is so life threatening (and I know know that driving a car is life threatening and yes I do drive). It appears that some tourists may not respect the river and look on a raft trip as some totally controlled and safe experience, like a ferris wheel, and of course it's not. The Arkansas is an incredible river, much more impressive to me in it's "piddling" upriver phase than it's "big muddy" phase in Little Rock. I'm not sure the point of this post....rivers will be rivers and people will be people and when the two meet accidents will happen.
We got a mite off the orginal question of the post. But to me not all rivers are the same, I will never forget the first time I saw the Mississippi. I was so disappointed. My first thoughts were of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. Raft and catch fish is this stinking thick muddy thing? I knew it was called the big muddy but it sure did not prepare me for the smell etc. It was gross!!! Anyway the poster wanted a small town with river access here in Colorado. They should have learned something about the Arkansas, at least 100 some miles of it.

Oh, by the way it runs quite clear most of the time, here at Canon. Right now there was a mud slide near Chalk Creek and it was running whitish. We can tell just about which creek has had rain by the color of the river. We have had lots of rain this yr. Well lots for here anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2007, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Boulder
151 posts, read 652,718 times
Reputation: 74
Oh yeah, I saw that article in the Post, and there was some truth in it. But look at the odds, 5 out of nearly a third of a million -- you face those kinds of odds everytime you drive your car in heavy traffic or on a snowy road, or head up to the mountains to do some downhill skiing. People even get killed in amusement parks where the risks are all supposed to be fake.

People die nearly every day just driving around town, but nobody computes it in quite the same way. Life is an adventure and none of us are going to get out alive. So I'm 60 years old and still ride horses and raft, both considered dangerous activities, but I wear a helmet and ride a well mannered horse, and I don't blithly climb into a raft just above the Numbers at extremely high water. I manage my risks as well as I can, and then just enjoy the adventure.

We're all always at some sort of risk, so we each must decide how to manage those multiple risks. And even the most careful and timid of us could still get hit by a car or diagnosed with cancer. It's an interesting philosphical discussion that's probably beyond the scope of this board, but we're all making potentially fatal choices every day -- we just pretend we're safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2007, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Colorado
431 posts, read 2,507,296 times
Reputation: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Mama View Post
Oh yeah, I saw that article in the Post, and there was some truth in it. But look at the odds, 5 out of nearly a third of a million -- you face those kinds of odds everytime you drive your car in heavy traffic or on a snowy road, or head up to the mountains to do some downhill skiing. People even get killed in amusement parks where the risks are all supposed to be fake.

People die nearly every day just driving around town, but nobody computes it in quite the same way. Life is an adventure and none of us are going to get out alive. So I'm 60 years old and still ride horses and raft, both considered dangerous activities, but I wear a helmet and ride a well mannered horse, and I don't blithly climb into a raft just above the Numbers at extremely high water. I manage my risks as well as I can, and then just enjoy the adventure.

We're all always at some sort of risk, so we each must decide how to manage those multiple risks. And even the most careful and timid of us could still get hit by a car or diagnosed with cancer. It's an interesting philosphical discussion that's probably beyond the scope of this board, but we're all making potentially fatal choices every day -- we just pretend we're safe.
Well, I'm older than you and ride horses on mt trails and work to preserve them. Did give up the barrel racing tho. But you won't get me on any kind of boat, raft etc on lake, river, ocean etc. I get motion sickness so bad, I would just about rather die. Now don't tell me about all the things that cure etc because I have tried them all. Just one of those things I have always lived with. I can manage to do many things as in flying etc but I really am not too interested in the rafting. If fact I feel sick just watching
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2007, 09:12 AM
 
78 posts, read 362,294 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Mama View Post

I'm 60 years old and still ride horses and raft, both considered dangerous activities, but I wear a helmet and ride a well mannered horse, and I don't blithly climb into a raft just above the Numbers at extremely high water. I manage my risks as well as I can, and then just enjoy the adventure.
You go get 'em MM!! I'm in my mid 50's and still play hard. I am also looking into Co for retirement(soon I hope). I love to bike, hike, climb, paddle and ski. Co. water problems have me concerned for a retirement home. I don't want to have to fight for water. This is why I am looking into Idaho as well. I think Colorado's weather is a bit better but boy are you folks dry. I do like Salida and surrounding towns. Charlie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2007, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Boulder
151 posts, read 652,718 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by balto charlie View Post
You go get 'em MM!! I'm in my mid 50's and still play hard. I am also looking into Co for retirement(soon I hope). I love to bike, hike, climb, paddle and ski. Co. water problems have me concerned for a retirement home. I don't want to have to fight for water. This is why I am looking into Idaho as well. I think Colorado's weather is a bit better but boy are you folks dry. I do like Salida and surrounding towns. Charlie
Hey Charlie,

I have a second home in Buena Vista (just up the road from Salida). That's a geologically interesting valley with spectacular scenery, one of the best stretches of the Arkansas River to play in, and lots of opportunities for all the activities you love. Water rights are a bitter issue in this state, but if you can find a place that hooks into the municipal water system you should be fine (but double-check anyway!). However, wells and even some small streams are going dry all around there -- in part because of over drilling and water diversion and in part because Colorado is in the middle of a long-term drought. But then so is Idaho and most of the rest of the West.

Enjoy! MM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2007, 06:54 AM
 
78 posts, read 362,294 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Mama View Post
Hey Charlie,

I have a second home in Buena Vista (just up the road from Salida). That's a geologically interesting valley with spectacular scenery, one of the best stretches of the Arkansas River to play in, and lots of opportunities for all the activities you love. Water rights are a bitter issue in this state, but if you can find a place that hooks into the municipal water system you should be fine (but double-check anyway!). However, wells and even some small streams are going dry all around there -- in part because of over drilling and water diversion and in part because Colorado is in the middle of a long-term drought. But then so is Idaho and most of the rest of the West.

Enjoy! MM
Hi MM: Thanks I'll look into Arkansas river. I'll also check out BV. I also may say the heck w/ a second home and live in my camper. This could be tough in the winter
Charlie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top