U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 06:26 PM

26 posts, read 89,930 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am looking for towns with river access.... Does Colorado Springs have any water access? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 06:55 PM

25 posts, read 112,684 times
Colorado Springs has river access if Fountain Creek counts (just kidding). There are no rivers in Colorado Springs, just Fountain Creek. What river are you trying to gain access to. The biggest rivers in the state are the Colorado and Arkansas, which can be accessed from many points. So a little more info from you would be more helpful. What are you trying to do? Raft or kayak? Or just chill by the river??????

Old 08-03-2007, 07:29 PM

26 posts, read 89,930 times
I am trying to find a smaller friendly town to raise a family. I would like to live somewhere with rivers and trees...BUT somewhere with employment oppurtunites. Thanks

Old 08-03-2007, 07:41 PM

84,960 posts, read 98,795,031 times
The only river in Denver is the Platte; plus there is Cherry Creek which has a bikeway.

Boulder has several creeks which can be accessed for kayaking/tubing, but not much else.

There are no rivers for swimming to speak of.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:49 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,741,121 times
Grand Junction is a city of decent size but you'd have to like desert-heat in the summer. I am hoping I can move back there myself sometime.

< sigh >

But yeah, river access, jobs (check out Welcome to GJSentinel.com! for job possibilities, of course as with any newspaper, there's more out there waiting ot be filled).

The other possibilities would be Pueblo and Cañon City for river access with decent places for families to live.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:42 AM

423 posts, read 1,774,600 times
Ft Collins has the poudre river which you can raft, kayak, and camp on. As far as employment look up the coloradoan.com. That is our local paper.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:21 AM

431 posts, read 2,500,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
Grand Junction is a city of decent size but you'd have to like desert-heat in the summer. I am hoping I can move back there myself sometime.

< sigh >

But yeah, river access, jobs (check out Welcome to GJSentinel.com! for job possibilities, of course as with any newspaper, there's more out there waiting ot be filled).

The other possibilities would be Pueblo and Cañon City for river access with decent places for families to live.
Canon City does have the river but little job opportunities. Good place to raise a family etc. Many of our people commute to Pueblo or Colorado Springs for jobs. CS is beautiful drive about 40 miles. Pueblo is more on the plains and is a straight shot to drive again about 40miles.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:21 AM

151 posts, read 650,782 times
Rivers and trees are in short supply in Colorado. And the best chance for a decent paying job is in one of the bigger cities (except for Boulder, which on average pays less and charges more for housing because everyone wants to live here). Bigger cities are often near a river, but access can be problematical.

To narrow down your search, please state what kind of river access you are wanting -- whitewater (head for the Arkansas *above* Canon City), bike paths along a pretty creek that dries out in the middle of the summer (just about anywhere on the front range), swimming (not likely unless you're on the eastern high plains of Colorado - where's there's usually not enough jobs but too many tornados), fishing (the Poudre or the Arkansas, but choose carefully!), spectacular scenary (the Arkansas between Salida and Leadville, or just about anywhere on the Colorado River -- with the note that you will also be in a hot and very dry desert environment).

Colorado is a beautiful, dramatic state that is in the middle of a long-term drought, so the rivers are stressed, dammed, and over-managed. Therefore, I hope you have some other, more compelling reason to move to Colorado. I love Colorado, and am co-owner of a whitewater rafting company in Buena Vista, so I love rivers too. But ... choose carefully if rivers is your primary reason for moving here.

Best of luck, where ever you end up!

Old 08-04-2007, 03:09 PM

431 posts, read 2,500,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Mama View Post
Rivers and trees are in short supply in Colorado. And the best chance for a decent paying job is in one of the bigger cities (except for Boulder, which on average pays less and charges more for housing because everyone wants to live here). Bigger cities are often near a river, but access can be problematical.

To narrow down your search, please state what kind of river access you are wanting -- whitewater (head for the Arkansas *above* Canon City), bike paths along a pretty creek that dries out in the middle of the summer (just about anywhere on the front range), swimming (not likely unless you're on the eastern high plains of Colorado - where's there's usually not enough jobs but too many tornados), fishing (the Poudre or the Arkansas, but choose carefully!), spectacular scenary (the Arkansas between Salida and Leadville, or just about anywhere on the Colorado River -- with the note that you will also be in a hot and very dry desert environment).

Colorado is a beautiful, dramatic state that is in the middle of a long-term drought, so the rivers are stressed, dammed, and over-managed. Therefore, I hope you have some other, more compelling reason to move to Colorado. I love Colorado, and am co-owner of a whitewater rafting company in Buena Vista, so I love rivers too. But ... choose carefully if rivers is your primary reason for moving here.

Best of luck, where ever you end up!
For people from more humid states, Colorado lacks green with trees etc. Being born and raised here, I do not feel we lack trees. Where ever there is water there are trees whether wild or domestic. Canon City has been awarded "Tree City USA" an number times even in later yrs since the orchards are next all gone. To a river rafter I am sure we lack the rivers that you want. May I ask a question I really would like the answer? Why are there so many rafting companies on the Arkansas River from above Buenie thro Canon City? And Rescue and Fire come here to practice and learn water rescue from other states? I have had people make fun of our River and say--that's no river, that's a creek! So why is it so desirable for rafters etc? I also know people underestimate this river in this area and when they do, they usually pay badly. I am not asking in an argumentative way. I just want to know.

I have given this bit of trivia several times before. There are 2 states that only have water going out, non coming in. That is Hawaii and Colorado. And yes the rivers here are being scavenged one way or another. What we have here is all we have, we cannot sue for more water from another state.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:14 PM

151 posts, read 650,782 times
Nadine said: "Why are there so many rafting companies on the Arkansas River from above Buenie thro Canon City? And Rescue and Fire come here to practice and learn water rescue from other states? I have had people make fun of our River and say--that's no river, that's a creek! So why is it so desirable for rafters etc? I also know people underestimate this river in this area and when they do, they usually pay badly. I am not asking in an argumentative way. I just want to know."

Nadine, LOL re "that's no river!" Actually, by some standards the Arkansas river in Colorado is a piddlin' little stream. BUT ... it has 3 sections with a spectacular drop in feet per mile offering world class rapids and stunning scenery -- the Narrows above Buena Vista, Browns Canyon between BV and Salida, and the Royal Gorge just above Canyon City. The Arkansas River draws olympic kayakers because the rapids here are so technical. And really big especially during high water in the spring! And always way too much fun!

Yes, people do get hurt rafting, but it's almost always because they try it on their own with no idea what they are getting into and without the proper equipment or training. Colorado's professional licensed whitewater outfitters, on the other hand, have an excellent safety record (statistically, you're more likely to get hurt in a car wreak driving back and forth than from actually rafting in Colorado -- although the Royal Gorge at high water is no place for kids, timid adults or anyone with a back problem).

The rafting season is almost over for this year (we're taking Cub Scouts down now), and I won't turn this into a commercial for my company, but if anyone is interested (either in one last summer fling, a wild trip next Spring when the water is high, or training as a guide for next year) feel free to PM me.

MM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or