U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 11:45 AM

19 posts, read 59,442 times

Advertisements

What are some lakes in co that are good for boating, skiing, fishing ect. This will have an affect on the town we choose to move to. We are looking for towns with less than 10 thousand and great mountian views also. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 12:53 PM

151 posts, read 650,782 times
Naturally occurring lakes? Almost non-existent. And those that exist belong to someone else, who doesn't want you anywhere around them. Water rights is a disturbing and contentious issue here.

Reservoirs? Here and there, but not natural and subject to draw-downs by a host of entities with pre-existing water rights.

You want lakes for boating, water-skiing, fishing etc. check out other states. Colorado is suffering through a long-term drought. It's dry, it's prone to wildfires, it's a dry, high desert. You want want water, water everywhere, try some place else, like Arkansas or Minnesota. See also responses to "rivers" thread.

Colorado is an awe-full and awful state, dry dry dry, spectacular, dry, high and BIG. But water is not one of it's strengths, although whitewater rafting/kayaking has a short but awesomely powerful season IF you pick the right place and time.

Be careful what you wish for.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:23 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
One that I know of is Grand Lake, up in the high country, near one of the National Forests. Natural lake, and deep.

Search on the words Grand Lake and you'll find some posts on it, along with some pix I posted. Truly beautiful up there.

See: http://www.city-data.com/city/Grand-Lake-Colorado.html

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-04-2007 at 01:32 PM..

Old 08-04-2007, 01:40 PM

Oh yes! Grand Lake is wonderful and beautiful. Only problems -- no jobs, hard winters and seriously isolated. But still, if I were independently wealthy, I'd be looking to plant roots there. It's good horse country too.

On second thought, if I were independently wealthy I'd head for Estes Park. Only a dammed "lake", but a charming town with astonishing scenery, lots of horse events in the summer, ScotFest in the fall, close to rivers with great fishing, and much closer to the cultural gifts and pleasures of the Boulder/Denver area.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:47 PM
tao

720 posts, read 2,915,786 times
Loveland has a nice lake.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:00 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Mama View Post
Oh yes! Grand Lake is wonderful and beautiful. Only problems -- no jobs, hard winters and seriously isolated. But still, if I were independently wealthy, I'd be looking to plant roots there. It's good horse country too.

On second thought, if I were independently wealthy I'd head for Estes Park. Only a dammed "lake", but a charming town with astonishing scenery, lots of horse events in the summer, ScotFest in the fall, close to rivers with great fishing, and much closer to the cultural gifts and pleasures of the Boulder/Denver area.
Market Mama, you're right about horse country. We rode up in the national forest for a few hours, elk walked right by us, saw a moose in the boggy area. A great place to rent a horse or snowmobile (depending on season) is the Winding River Resort. You can RV in there and even bring your horses, they have portable stalls set up in the RV spaces. Tons of room. A branch of the Colorado River runs through it. Here are some pix of their horses.

Critters in the corral at Winding River Resort.

Hmmm....could this be.... F TROOP RIDES AGAIN!!

Steaks, brats and chicken on the grill. Wesley (owner) does the honors. A strong flurry adds atmosphere. Three hours later the sky was clear and you could see so many stars in the sky, millions of them, like you NEVER see when near a city due to 'light pollution.' Amazingly beautiful country up there, hope everyone gets a chance to go and enjoy....

Old 08-04-2007, 06:18 PM

431 posts, read 2,500,244 times
Gunnison and Blue Mesa Lake come to mind. But the winters are very cold. The Western slope has more water than the eastern. Lots of ranches etc. & more laid back than the northern eastern slope. The country is spectacular and much greener than the west until you get into the plains areas again, away from the mts. True most of our natural lakes are high crater lakes and we are a semi-arrid state. As to jobs in that area, I am not qualified to answer. When there, I too am a tourist. Love to ride, camp, fish over there tho. Not Blue Mesa but some of the other areas near Gunnison.

Those that come here and complain about the dry, the no jobs, the cost etc etc. My question is Why are you here? We are not a police state, you can leave anytime you want.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:40 PM

13 posts, read 50,667 times
Boatable Waters - Colorado State Parks

Old 08-05-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
Those that come here and complain about the dry, the no jobs, the cost etc etc. My question is Why are you here? We are not a police state, you can leave anytime you want.
I've been in Colorado for over 40 years, and actually like it very much. However, since I am part-owner of a whitewater rafting business, I talk to a lot of folks with serious misconceptions and unrealistic fantasies about Colorado. So my comments here are more along the lines of offering a reality check to people who think they might want to move to CO.

Anywhere in the mountains and out on the plains, it's true that jobs and wages really can be an issue. Denver has jobs but, even with the mountain backdrop, it's pretty much like any big city (except for the National Western Stock Show and Rodeo!).

Colorado has dry hot summers, and cold winters with sometimes nasty roads. On the other hand, much of it is still wild and parts of it are extraordinarily beautiful in a sometimes harsh, sometimes overwhelming way -- amazing to drive through as a tourist, harder to live in.

MM

Old 08-05-2007, 04:03 PM

84,961 posts, read 98,795,031 times
I agree with Market Mama. There are a few people right now on this board who are wanting to move here in the worst way, and seem to have some expectations higher than a fourteener!

I wonder at the people who post on here that they want to move here, then say they want to live by a lake (presumably boatable and swimmable) or they want to buy forested acreage near Denver! These things simply do not exist in Colorado in great numbers. Except for rafting down the Colorado and Arkansas Rivers, and some fishing, this is not a water-sports state, like, say, Minnesota, where you can take the family boat for a Sunday drive. There is not a ton of forested land near Denver and there never was! Only on the west side, and then, not a lot developed so that you could live there and work in Denver. There will be those who say "oh, there's Grand Lake" (or Lake Dillon or Lake Estes, or wherever), but can you live there and make a living? It's possible, but it's hard. Most of those places are resort communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or