Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 08:35 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times

Advertisements

Hey foodies! Silver Queen is our favorite corn, if you've had it you know what I mean. But it's hard to find anywhere.

Anyone know what stores or roadside stands have it? I'm in COL SPGS but will travel a bit to get this stuff.

Thanks!
s/Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 10:01 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,913,962 times
I've never heard of "Silver Queen Corn" but a quick Google informs me that it's a hyrid of a sweet corn.

Ah, but Olathe Sweet Corn (should be in Front Range stores and farmer's markets very, very soon) is soooo good. Not sure if you've had it but it's usually so sweet that you can seriously eat it without cooking it. It tastes better cooked but yummmm.

Olathe Sweet Corn Festival

Old 08-06-2007, 11:14 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
Olathe is the closest to Silver Queen I've had. (in sweetness etc...) It is very good. (Silver Queen is our favorite too)

Old 08-06-2007, 04:04 PM

431 posts, read 2,793,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Hey foodies! Silver Queen is our favorite corn, if you've had it you know what I mean. But it's hard to find anywhere.

Anyone know what stores or roadside stands have it? I'm in COL SPGS but will travel a bit to get this stuff.

Thanks!
s/Mike
Hey, Mike try googling Silver Queen corn. I had never heard of it so I did. Might surprise you what they say. Anyway it must have not made it out here or something. We have raised sweet corn every since we moved back from Leadville and hubby raised and worked sweet corn fields as a kid and we never came across that kind. Hubby raises a gourmet corn that we have to order the seeds from a testing university. Beats the heck out of anything else. But it is experimental and not in stores. The seeds cost about 3 times the price of any other. It is so sweet that we made the mistake of putting some in a stew I had made. Ruined the stew. Tasted like I had dumped sugar in it. Sadly tho, we don't think it will ever be raised commercially for stores etc, maybe roadside stands and farmers markets. It does lose it moisture in the kernel too quickly to be allowed to mature that much and ship. It sure is good tho.

But the sad truth of the matter is. No corn out of the grocery store is real good. When those are picked, the farmer waits until all or most ears are ready before he picks. Thus they are too mature for the best tasting. If you stick you thumbnail in a kernel it sound squirt juice. I mean SQUIRT not just run some. If it doesn't it is too old off the stock or too mature. Your best bet is to buy from a farmers market or a roadside stand by a corn field early in the morn. Ask when picked. We pick just before we cook. That's the best. Of coarse I know that is not possible for most but the fresher from the stock the better. Just storing in ref. will not do. Chances are that is what those in the store have been done to all ready. Some stores try to keep the moisture in them but most just set them out on the floor in boxes. Olathe corn is way overrated in our opinion but just about the best in stores. The town of Olatha has done a good job promoting.

Last edited by Nadine; 08-06-2007 at 04:24 PM..

Old 08-14-2007, 08:17 AM

78 posts, read 404,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Thanks!
s/Mike
Eastern shore of Maryland. We've got lots....
Actually Md is even trying different varieties so many growers are moving away from SQ. SQ was always susceptible to corn ear worm. Sweetness is found in many newer varieties BUT the tenderness of SQ was lost. Oh so tender. Balto Charlie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: