Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next CO city to have a large tourist Attraction sould be....
Denver 8 19.05%
Colorado Springs 9 21.43%
Grand Junction 2 4.76%
Fort Collins 3 7.14%
Pueblo 13 30.95%
Montrose 1 2.38%
Greeley 5 11.90%
Boulder 4 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 11:03 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times

Advertisements

There's tourist attractions to draw non-locals and out-of-staters, and then there's things to draw in-state and local people into town. For instance, unlikely anyone would make a whole trip to Pueblo from wherever to see a minor-league team- but local people and people from the general area sure might.
In terms of making Colorado a destination for non-local/out-of-state people, I think what's there is just fine. You can get theme parks and so on anywhere (there's a reason that Las Vegas and Orlando are the top two U.S. vacation destinations...) but Colorado's beauty, well, you have to go to Colorado. That could mean skiing or climbing or driving through or fishing/hunting, but it sure shouldn't mean another generic roller coaster.
My humble opinion from out of state. Coming to Ouray July2!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 12:08 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Exclamation New Colorado law boosts regional tourism projects

An interesting bill to watch is the so called tourism bill. It allows state TIF (tax incremental financing) to be used to help build projects that will generate out of state tourism. About 20 projects are expected to be submitted by June 30 and the projects selected later this year. In my opinion the projects that get selected will provide a huge boost to the local economy. Both short term in construction jobs and long term in increased tourism.

This is from The Denver Business Journal:

Colorado regional tourism projects received a boost Friday when Gov. John Hickenlooper signed a law that will triple the number of such ventures eligible to benefit from state tax-increment financing.

Read more: New Colorado law boosts regional tourism projects | Denver Business Journal

Old 07-01-2011, 08:08 PM

Exclamation Gaylord's Aurora project to face fewer competitors than expected for tourism tax incentive

Well the deadline has past for the applications on the state tourism grant and only 7 projects applied for 6 spots. That means only 1 applicant will not get the state grant. So now the bigger question is who will get it first. As I get more information in the next few days I will post it.

This is from the Denver Business Journal:

The primary competition for as much as $50 million in tax-increment financing per year will come from multi-faceted projects in cities such as Pueblo, Loveland, Estes Park and Glendale and in Montrose and Douglas counties, according to an applicant list released Friday by the state.

The link: http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/ne...ace-fewer.html

What surprises me the most are the cities that did not apply for the grant especially Colorado Springs, Fort Collins and Grand Junction.

Last edited by Josseppie; 07-01-2011 at 09:18 PM..

Old 07-02-2011, 09:26 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Well the deadline has past for the applications on the state tourism grant and only 7 projects applied for 6 spots. That means only 1 applicant will not get the state grant. So now the bigger question is who will get it first. As I get more information in the next few days I will post it.

This is from the Denver Business Journal:

The primary competition for as much as $50 million in tax-increment financing per year will come from multi-faceted projects in cities such as Pueblo, Loveland, Estes Park and Glendale and in Montrose and Douglas counties, according to an applicant list released Friday by the state.

The link: Gaylord's Aurora project to face fewer competitors than expected for tourism tax incentive | Denver Business Journal

What surprises me the most are the cities that did not apply for the grant especially Colorado Springs, Fort Collins and Grand Junction.
Intresting. Thanks for the update!

Old 07-02-2011, 01:06 PM

Here are some details on the proposed project in Pueblo. If we get this I could see Pueblo getting a minor league baseball team at Runyon Field and finishing the Riverwalk to Runyon Lake. I, also, think with the increased tourism in Pueblo our airport will grow with more flights to Denver and maybe even other hub airports.

- The convention center will be expanded and improvements made at the Riverwalk. That will draw more tourists and larger conventions.

- PBR proposes a $6 million global training center/arena as part of the Pueblo Convention Center.

- PBR University could attract as many as 30,000 additional out-of-state and foreign visitors.

- The improvements top $100 million and would come in phases over a six to seven year period.

- A regional aquatic center and indoor water park.

- Pueblo is asking for $33 million in state support.

- An additional hotel in the Downtown area with more to come later.

- A public parking garage similar to the one near AT&T.

- A number of new private retail and mixed-use developments.

- The renovation of Memorial Hall.

The link for my source: Optimism high for state tourism grant - The Pueblo Chieftain:

Old 07-02-2011, 07:11 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
I believe that Pueblo shold get a simple Theme park. Six Flags Pueblo? Sounds good to me Or even an Aquarium. The same applies for Colorado Springs and GJ.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:47 PM

Well if Pueblo gets this grant we would get a aquatic center with a Olympic size swimming pool and indoor water park. Not exactly a theme park but it would attract people to the city.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:44 AM

I decided to go thru the list and rank the 7 projects on how I like them:

1) Pueblo's PBR University and Heritage of Heroes Project.

I am sure this is no surprise that I picked Pueblo's to be first. However, I think given the parameters of the grant Pueblo's meets it the best by bringing in new conventions and people. I believe it could be as much as 50,000 more people a year (30,000 for the PBR University and 20,000 more with the larger conventions) and that would have a huge impact on Pueblo since we are only 110,000 people, especially the downtown and airport.

2) Great Colorado Adventures in Montrose.

I really like the proposal as I think the western slope needs more convention space to allow them to have regional conventions.

3) Destination Downtown: Loveland Arts District.

The plan they have I like for two reasons. One it will help their downtown and two it should help that city become more of a artistic city, a goal they are going for, and that should attract more out of state tourism.

4) Elkhorn Regional Tourism Project.

While not a huge project it should help them get more out of state tourists.

5) The Stock Show move from Denver to Aurora and the Gaylord hotel and convention center in Aurora.
6) Construction of a Riverwalk in Glendale.
7) Colorado Sports and Prehistoric Park.

I put the Denver projects last because they are good projects but do not meet the intent of the grant, to get more out of state tourists. If Denver wants to build them then great but I do not think they should use this grant money to do so.

Last edited by Josseppie; 07-03-2011 at 12:53 PM..

Old 07-07-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Wow, Joss, you surprise me sometimes. I think Pueblo is large enough to support a single-A team.
Ok I stand corrected. It looks like Pueblo is in line to get a expansion baseball team from the Pecos league. They are going to play 2 exhibition games this month at Runyon Field, our downtown baseball field. Then if we get the expansion team they would play there. Talk about good news for our city center as that combined with the possible state grant would bring in a lot of regional and even international tourists.

This is from the Chieftain:

The games will serve as a feeler for the league, which is attempting to add an expansion team (Pueblo Wranglers) in Pueblo for the 2012 season.

The link: Tryout for Pueblo? - The Pueblo Chieftain: Local

Information on the Pecos league:

The Pecos League is an independent professional baseball league Headquartered in Houston, Tx. which operates in cities throughout West Texas and Eastern New Mexico. Pecos Teams play in cities that do not have Major or Minor League Baseball teams and is not affiliated with either. The Pecos League is where the Land of Enchantment meets the Lone Star State. The league's high power offenses are fueled by high altitudes and smaller ballparks.

Their web page: Welcome to Pecos League of Professional Baseball Clubs-- Welcome to the Pecos League!

Old 07-07-2011, 11:29 AM

345 posts, read 913,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Oh come on now, have we no spirit? Howzebout we have the meat packing plant in Greeley open itself up for tours, from the kill floor to the reefer trucks at the other end of the process. How cool would that be? You're not even in an airplane and they give you a barf bag, NEAT-O!

Let's use a little of my unbridled imagination. Some features of Meat World could be:
- Children's petting zoo, with big signs saying "Pet a Doomed Steer"
- Mud Pie making, with very SMELLY mud (Complimentary hand sanitizer provided).
- See how we make the Pink Slime that ends up in cheap fast food burgers (Ammonia smell at no extra fare!).
- Ride the paddle boats in our lagoons.
- Take a free Spanish lesson from one of our line workers. Si?
- Special treat, see what we do with the eyeballs, brains and other parts (don't tell anyone, you'll spoil the ending).
- Climb in the cabs of real 18-wheelers and talk to some of the Knights of the Open Road.

Season passes available.

What say kiddies? Are ye up for some meaty pirate fun?
Oh I would rep you again but it won't let me. Meaty pirate fun lol!!
Well that might cause a new generation to become vegetarians.

I doubt people would come to the state just for an amusement park, or an aquarium. One large tourist attraction will not do much to draw people here who may not otherwise come here for a vacation.

The Springs has things to do, zoo, the little kids amusement park- North Pole? I think it is called. The caves and such so if they added a nice large amusement park then maybe they will draw more people there. So that is why I picked the Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado