Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 08:51 AM

156 posts, read 715,519 times

Advertisements

that would be no more than say, 3.5-4 hours round trip from Denver?

We are flying in this weekend for a 4-day househunting trip. Our son has autism, and we are considering having my husband take him out for a drive for the day (well, more like the afternoon) instead of going with my daughter and I to look at homes with our Realtor. My DH is a big outdoorsman kind of guy, and I thought he'd enjoy going up to the Estes Park area...isn't that where the Rocky Mountain National Park entrance is? I was thinking he could take my son there for a little while. Would that be feasible time-wise? And, should we already be concerned about snow on the ground up there, etc. this time of year? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 10:14 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,556,835 times
I would consider the Mt. Evans Auto Road. It's not far from Denver and is the highest road in the U.S. It's quite a drive. When I went we saw all kinds of wild animals. The coolest were the rams we saw. Not sure if it's feasible this time of year though.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:20 AM

336 posts, read 695,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1962 View Post
that would be no more than say, 3.5-4 hours round trip from Denver?

We are flying in this weekend for a 4-day househunting trip. Our son has autism, and we are considering having my husband take him out for a drive for the day (well, more like the afternoon) instead of going with my daughter and I to look at homes with our Realtor. My DH is a big outdoorsman kind of guy, and I thought he'd enjoy going up to the Estes Park area...isn't that where the Rocky Mountain National Park entrance is? I was thinking he could take my son there for a little while. Would that be feasible time-wise? And, should we already be concerned about snow on the ground up there, etc. this time of year? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Hi Sheridan...wanted to say hey to another Texan looking to make the
move to Colorado... Good luck with your househunting...I hope
you find what you are looking for...we will also be making a roadtrip
back soon to look at homes...we were there in August and looked
around the Salida/Coaldale area...it was beautiful...but some of the
homes were misrepresented by the realtors with the pictures that
were taken...so we were a little disappointed...but we found other
homes while just driving around and exploring ....our next trip is
heading up toward Fort Collins and Livermore...we have picked out
a few homes to look at in those areas...I check weather.com faithfully,
because it allows me somewhat of a view into what is going on
there....and I know that already in Livermore it has dipped into
the 20's and snowed...well again, good luck...I hope that you find
a wonderful home...

Old 10-17-2008, 01:49 PM

2,885 posts, read 7,102,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
I would consider the Mt. Evans Auto Road. It's not far from Denver and is the highest road in the U.S. It's quite a drive. When I went we saw all kinds of wild animals. The coolest were the rams we saw. Not sure if it's feasible this time of year though.
Mt Evans Rd is closed for the season.

CDOT Traveler Information
Quote:
CO 5 Mt Evans
Existing Conditions: CLOSED for the season
Restrictions in Place: CLOSED for the season
Comments: CLOSED for the season. Paved. Alt: 14,264', grade 5-9%, 10-15% to top.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:35 PM

6 posts, read 137,464 times
From DIA try driving to Estes Park. It's such a pretty drive and it's not too terribly far. There is also Tiny Town which you can get to from DIA off I70, to I25 South, to 285 going west towards the mountains and it's about 20 minutes drive from there. It's so much fun, and I think your son would love it. They even have a couple of miniture trains (one steam, and one electric) that you can take a ride on. I don't know when they close though, but they might still be open on the weekends during this time.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:41 PM

6 posts, read 137,464 times
Sheridan,
I also wanted to add that yes, Estes is the east entrance to Rocky Mtn Natl Park (I used to be a Park Ranger up there for a couple of years). Even if Trail Ridge Road is closed (which it might not be unless they are getting some weather on the day you are driving it), the Natl Park will try to keep the road open depending on the weather. It is the most scenic road I have ever been on and it is the highest paved road that drives all the way through in the world as far as I know. It's so well worth the drive, but ALWAYS check at the ranger station during this time of year to make sure the weather is not going to turn on you and what the chances are that the road needs to be closed that day. My family drove across last October and I about had a heart attack as the weather suddenly deteriorated to white out blizzard conditions. When we finally made it to the other side while driving in blizzard conditions on the highest paved road, with no guard rails, the rangers closed the gate right after we made it across. Always check with the Rangers before going across.

Last edited by MomNlovNit; 10-21-2008 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-22-2008, 01:19 PM

156 posts, read 715,519 times
Thank you all for the tips! We had a fun 4-day trip to Colorado to check things out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado