U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2006, 10:50 AM

11 posts, read 61,406 times

Advertisements

Seems to be little discussion of truly Southeast (SE) Colorado – any particular reason? (I mean south of Colorado Springs!—heading to NM) Are the natural gas companies and/or the proposed military training site expansion keeping people away? Seems like a nice, affordable region…What am I missing?

(this ironically, adds nicely to CelticLady1's recent post on Pueblo!?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2006, 01:08 AM

827 posts, read 4,545,527 times
Hi Lemonade! About SE Colorado, south of CS, There are several regions even in the SE. There is the flat plains of the far SE where the grasslands are located and few people live out that way. Lamar comes to mind. Then there is the desert area around Pueblo where you can see the mountains in the distance. It is an inexpensive place to live and it is a nice city. There is Walsenburg which I don't know much about but maybe someone from CS or Pueblo could tell you more about Walsenburg. Trinidad is on a thread on this forum and is a small town that will have more of a winter since it climbs going to Raton, NM. Pueblo is around 4600 elevation where Trinidad is over 6000 feet. It starts getting into mountains as you go west. There is Alamosa, a small city in a big valley. It gets pretty cold in the winter in Alamosa, but being dry in humidity isn't bad but the temps get cold. Alamosa is in more southern Colorado rather then SE but thought I'd mention it too. It is near some awesome sand dunes called the Great Sand Dunes. There really aren't a lot of cities in SE Colorado past Pueblo. Lamar is close to John Martin Reservoir which is a big lake. It is a typical "Mayberry" town from the TV show Andy Griffith. It is flat out that way and whenever you hear about tornados hitting Colorado, most of the time, the tornados are out on the eastern plain where it is flat. The winters can be cold due to the wind. It is a nice town but windy. Also towns out that way are Rocky Ford and La Junta. I am not familiar with them but maybe others will discuss those towns.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 09-01-2006 at 02:00 AM..

Old 09-01-2006, 06:44 PM

11 posts, read 61,406 times
Default La Junta or Rocky Ford

Thanks so much Crackerjack! Is there anyone out there who could help with Rocky Ford and La Junta....from the sheer number--and prices--of houses for sale, it seems like people are getting outta there, not coming in...any sense of why? What's the weather and feel like? Thanks!

Old 09-02-2006, 11:19 AM

571 posts, read 2,252,940 times
Hi,

We lived out in Colorado Springs for 5 years. We did a few camping/fishing trips around John Martin and went ATVing once or twice at the National Grasslands.

Basically my impression of the area is it's very quiet, very rural and very undervisited (part of the reason we went east rather than west to the mtns. on some busy holiday weekend getaways.) It's definitely a more subtle beauty than the rockies, but I'll tell ya...the stargazing out on the high plains simply can't be beat! Going to the national grasslands is almost like going to the moon...there's just no one there. You almost feel like the last person on earth! If you like solitude, then this is your place.

The towns you're referring to (Rocky Ford, La Junta) are in the arkansas river valley, which is the lowest part (elevation wise) in Colorado. Lots of ranches out that way, but due to its proximity to the water, there's also more agriculture/farming than in other parts of eastern CO. The arkansas river valley is famous for its Colorado watermelons.

As mentioned above, John Martin is a big man-made lake created by damming the the Arkansas River. Actually some pretty good fishing there for warmwater species (i.e., walleye...as opposed to the cold water species like trout you find in the mtns.) Before it was a state park, the area by the dam used to be a great place to camp...you could camp on the bluffs right by the water or drive over the dam and camp on the sandy beach on the other side. It's a lot more restricted now though.

The weather is usually warmer there than in the higher parts of CO in the spring and summer. It would be in the 60's when we left Colroado Springs and in the high 80's near John Martin. It's also VERY windy there! We never went there in the winter, so I can't comment...but I would imagine it's probably windy and cold. As mentioned above, the area is also prone to thunderstorms and tornadoes. Seemed like we almost always got a lighning show when we camped there (but never much rain...it's actually pretty dry.)

Pueblo isn't a bad town, but it's kind of the "red headed stepchild" of the front range and the butt of a lot of jokes in Colorado Springs. This is mostly due to its gritty, industrial reputation as a steel town. The prices are cheaper there though and I predict that as the prices continue to rise in the COS-Denver-Ft. Collins area, Pueblo will continue to grow in the future.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:37 PM

5 posts, read 8,247 times
Default Southern colorado south of Colo Springs is incredible

Hey lemonade,

I have a small ranch in the Gardner/Redwing area, and it is gorgeous. It is located in the Sangre de Cristo Mountain range. There is no worry there about the military issues going on further south near Trinidad or the oil/gas company stuff. The views are spectacular and the pace is slower and much more peaceful than anything north of Colorado Springs.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:47 PM

103 posts, read 344,149 times
Default Lemonade....thanks for asking about us!

Lemonade, thanks for asking about Southeast Colorado. We are often times misrepresented on these forums because many people have simply driven through the area, and have not spent time seeing what is here We have had some tough economic and atmospheric times, but we are resilient and always bounce back. All of the Counties in Southeast Colorado are working cooperatively to try to attract businesses to the area and are starting to have some major successes. An example is www.liqcrytech.com that has just announced that they will move their business to the La Junta Industrial Park.

There are great homes to be had for a reasonable price all over Southeast Colorado. I don't have details on realtors for all of the communities, but you can check out La Junta and Rocky Ford realtors at www.lajuntaeconomicdevelopment.net/properties.htm
That site will also allow you to find links to other communities in the area, as well as links to many of the attractions in the area.

www.secoloradoheritage.com will give you a great overview of some of the rich cultural attractions you will find in this great crossroads of the State. We have many attractions in the area that are not found in any other area of the state. We just had a group of volunteers from the visitor center in Fort Collins come to Southeast Colorado and they were in awe of what is down here....they had never been here, only heard it was flat!

McGowdog came down this way and did a quick photo shoot of Lamar, Hasty, Bent's Fort and La Junta and we truly appreciate his taking the time to do that. In fact, for those of you who have only driven through these towns, please come back down and share some time with the people in the area. You will leave with an entirely different attitude.

Lemonade, once again....thanks for asking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or