U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:14 PM

4 posts, read 14,932 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are considering a move from San Diego to Colorado, but we're not sure where yet. We would both be working from home, so our requirements are a little unusual. We want a small town with friendly people and little crime, a private school or exceptional public school, some land that's horse friendly (1/4 to 1 acre), a new-ish house (0-20 years old), close to mountains but not snow-bound half the year (not flat area, mountain view), lots of greenery that doesn't turn an ugly brown 8 months out of the year, a stable and reliable cable or T1 internet service, and a local Fedex office. In other words, away from the big city but not on the moon. We still want to do some traveling, so within an hour of an airport would be nice.

We've heard that some places in Colorado are religious to the point where they're intolerant of any other opinions. I know it might be difficult to find, but we'd prefer neighbors with open minds.

Looking on realtor.com at housing, I did find it a little odd that very few houses have their own pool, even with so much sun all year. Plenty of community pools, but we'd rather have our own.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 09:34 PM

49 posts, read 245,206 times
Check out Pueblo West, CO

Old 08-06-2007, 09:39 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,745,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDriven View Post
We've heard that some places in Colorado are religious to the point where they're intolerant of any other opinions. I know it might be difficult to find, but we'd prefer neighbors with open minds.
I disagree with that statement. I am not sure where you heard that from but, being a non-Christian, non-religious person and having friends from all flavors of spirituality, very few small cities or large towns are that closed off. heck even in Colorado Springs where most people get the idea that because we have the headquarters of Focus on the Family, we are somehow some bible-belt city that somehow was misplaced. I have plenty of friends from all walks of life around here. My family is very Christian but even their beliefs don't get in my way of how I see others.

Anyhow as for the rest of your question. You may look to Cañon City, Grand Junction (and the outlying towns including Montrose, up through the valley that is above Delta) You may also want to check out Durango.

As for schools, you will need to so some searching. Most schools in Colorado are actually pretty good as long as it's a okay sized community. I don't have kids so I can't give you much on that front. I will say that the best schools are most likely going to be in the Denver Metro area and here in Colorado Springs simply because of resources available.

As for a pool, not many people have outdoor pools around here. Most are indoor and those that have them tend to be in pretty high income areas. The reason is that the winter cold makes for some serious upkeep. Those that have those big round out-of-ground pools only keep them filled and running during the summer months. It's not that odd as you do have the ground freeze/thaw effect that can affect an in-ground pool making for huge upkeep if not properly drained and such through the cold months.

BTW, if you want an in-ground pool and green landscape for more than 6 months of the year, perhaps Colorado isn't suited for you. It gets dang brown around Colorado from about Oct to late March - beginning April.

Last edited by COflower; 08-06-2007 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: typos that I could find

Old 08-07-2007, 09:00 AM

42 posts, read 185,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDriven View Post
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are considering a move from San Diego to Colorado, but we're not sure where yet. We would both be working from home, so our requirements are a little unusual. We want a small town with friendly people and little crime, a private school or exceptional public school, some land that's horse friendly (1/4 to 1 acre), a new-ish house (0-20 years old), close to mountains but not snow-bound half the year (not flat area, mountain view), lots of greenery that doesn't turn an ugly brown 8 months out of the year, a stable and reliable cable or T1 internet service, and a local Fedex office. In other words, away from the big city but not on the moon. We still want to do some traveling, so within an hour of an airport would be nice.

Looking on realtor.com at housing, I did find it a little odd that very few houses have their own pool, even with so much sun all year. Plenty of community pools, but we'd rather have our own.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
John
You are kidding, right? You want to come to Colorado but want to bring coastal S.Calif. with you? Have you ever been to Colorado? I think with your way of thinking etc, you better stay in S Calif. coastal. Swimming pools waste water. Colorado is a semi arrid state that sends water to Calif to waste. So maybe you should look elsewhere or just stay put. Open minds--you don't want open minds, you want all to agree with you and your weird coastal, southern Calif ideas. Boulder might fit but it still has fall and winter and semi arrid. I lived in S Calif. on the coast with the military for 10 yrs. Never met such mean minded, rude, hateful, closed minded intolerant people in my life, before or since. People inland and north Calif. are so different. They are what I would term as normal. friendly, helpful, loving type people. Sure everywhere has odd balls but coastal, southern Calif have more than their share.

Last edited by canyontiger2; 08-07-2007 at 10:14 AM..

Old 08-07-2007, 10:14 AM

835 posts, read 2,568,696 times
another california transplant?

Old 08-07-2007, 10:18 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,520,804 times
You're going to have a tough time finding what you want. You want year-round greenery (that's doable), but to get it you're going to have to live somewhere with lots of snow (i.e., the foothills or something like them), and DEFINITELY no pool.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest northern El Paso County. Some towns: Palmer Lake, Monument, Black Forest, etc. Not in the mountains, but still densely forested. Nice Pike's Peak views. Relatively affordable for the large lot size you're seeking (you COULD actually get much larger, 5-10 acres there). Quite a bit of snow, but not nearly as much as a foothills community like Conifer or Bailey. Not too far from Colorado Springs or even south Denver but far enough away that you're not caught up in the suburban sprawl of either (well, at least not at the moment).

Old 08-07-2007, 10:18 AM

So this guy has decided he knows all about me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyontiger2 View Post
You are kidding, right? You want to come to Colorado but want to bring Calif. with you. Have you ever been to Colorado?
No, wrong, and yes. I have relatives there. Unlike you, most people I've encountered in Colorado have been friendly. Thankfully, you're a small minority.

Quote:
I think with your way of thinking etc, you better stay in S Calif. Swimming pools waste water. Colorado is a semi arrid state that sends water to Calif to waste. So maybe you should look elsewhere or just stay put.
A covered pool wastes almost no water. If I need to empty and refill it once a year, that's about $100-$150 worth of water, and much less than what one person would use in a year just showering, laundering, and flushing. If I'm paying for it (unlike much of the water from Colorado that is sent out of state), what difference does it make? If there is a serious water shortage, they will charge what the water is worth and/or make it illegal to fill a pool.

Quote:
Open minds--you don't want open minds, you want all to agree with you and your weird Calif ideas. Boulder might fit but it still has fall and winter and semi arrid.
Just the opposite - if there's anything I hate, it's people imposing their beliefs on me. My wife is Catholic and I'm agnostic. I just don't want my neighbors to:

A) be bitter and angry at the world, like you.
B) vote the party line (rep or dem) because they're too stupid and weak to do their own research and use their own judgement.
C) be condescending because I don't worship their god.
D) preach that their morality is the only morality.

Yeah, those sure are some weird ideas
Looks like I hit a nerve, and I don't doubt it's because you would fit all of the above.

Thanks to the others for slightly more friendly responses.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
You're going to have a tough time finding what you want. You want year-round greenery (that's doable), but to get it you're going to have to live somewhere with lots of snow (i.e., the foothills or something like them), and DEFINITELY no pool.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest northern El Paso County. Some towns: Palmer Lake, Monument, Black Forest, etc. Not in the mountains, but still densely forested. Nice Pike's Peak views. Relatively affordable for the large lot size you're seeking (you COULD actually get much larger, 5-10 acres there). Quite a bit of snow, but not nearly as much as a foothills community like Conifer or Bailey. Not too far from Colorado Springs or even south Denver but far enough away that you're not caught up in the suburban sprawl of either (well, at least not at the moment).
Thanks for the response, we'll look at those areas. The pool is actually at the bottom of our list of priorities - we'd rather have the mountain views.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:13 PM

835 posts, read 2,568,696 times
there is room enough in this world for all and any kinds of beliefs, imposing religion on someone is just plain not gonna work!

Old 08-07-2007, 08:01 PM

85,021 posts, read 98,892,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
another california transplant?
I believe you are planning to transplant yourself from Kentucky. It doesn't matter where you come from; it's another person here. BTW, DH and I transplanted ourselves from Illinois. I have nothing against transplants. I have problems with people who move here themselves chastizing others for doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or