U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-05-2011, 04:23 PM

83 posts, read 92,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
...we reached Ouray. Having come up the Million Mile Hwy, we came upon Ouray toward the end of the 4th of July parade. We followed the detour along with other route 550 travelers. People were friendly, waving hello, smiling and we did the same. As we entered back onto 550, people on the corner continued waving and a young boy (standing with his parents) pointed to our NY license plate and waved. His father bellowed out, "NY s*cks!"

Everyone we met heading north into Colorado has been so nice -- this man had no idea who we were and flat out insulted us.

Tsk.
What I have found is that Coloradoans hate just about everybody. They hate Californians, they hate New Yorkers and they really, really hate on Texans. So don't worry about one dumb a$$ telling you NY sucks. We all know it sucks that's why so many of you move away from NY. That guy is probably not a Coloradoan anyways. He's probably from Kansas! BTW, Coloradoans hate Kansans slightly less than they do Californians.

Colorado; hatin' on everybody since 1876!

As for that study, I would have thought it would be about Bostonians anyways.

BTW, I have a dry sense of humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-05-2011, 04:37 PM

16,513 posts, read 21,482,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
.... tourists have to understand the schizophrenic relationship Coloradans have with tourists. On one hand, tourists are an important component of state economy. On the other hand, tourists are also a constant pain in the ass for local residents--especially with the numbers of tourists that visit Colorado. ....
Hell, try living in DC, where MILLIONS of tourists and school kids arrive every year, and all that activity is concentrated into ONE city. People in COLO have nothing to be upset about when I think of the millions who flock to DC or NYC or New Orleans or Orlando, etc.

So someone shouted out, sounds like a Red Sox fan to me, none of us need to get philosophical about it. Tourists are the same everywhere. I'm from Baltimore; I love NYC but I just HATE the damned Yankees. Everyone please keep cool.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Unread 07-05-2011, 05:07 PM

2,053 posts, read 2,945,298 times
Wink Well met or crowded out

I feel the term 'pimp' is exactly accurate in some cases, and those associated with them ___________ (you fill in the blank).

It is a matter of measure and balance. Something that a certain number in the Colorado tourism business have no notion of. In the end, never knowing or caring when enough is enough, they do no favors for anyone, even possibly their own highly valued purses. I understand tourism can be a fickle business, and often seasonal in this state, so one has to make hay while the sun shines. But there are limits to anything and those ignoring that cheapen the experience (and life) of everyone.

For those deriving no direct income from the business it is easy enough to view any tourist, and certainly hordes of them, as something akin to a plague. Truly, in what manner does their visitation improve the life of residents, other than making it all the more crowded and unpleasant? But one could also be charitable and suggest that our other fellows on this planet might at times wish to soak up some of the lovely nature we could on occasion even take for granted. Seeing one's home again through the wonder in another's virgin eyes can be enlightening. Also in the measure one soul is uplifted we all are to some degree. Then, too, practical considerations that the financial impacts of tourism are surely more widespread than oft suspected. I know myself, in having lived in and near resort areas, that just the level of services are better in consequence.

It could be the tourist in question here simply had the bad luck to run across the wrong s.o.b. But one might be reminded that the same thing could happen at home as well, or that for the oft marvelous beauty here that this state is not Disneyland, or all residents staff. It is as real a place as anywhere else, with the highs and lows and vagaries of human nature thrown in. Not everyone is going to want you in their town, although most with enough good manners not to say so. Even those welcoming new faces and experiences can simply be worn out.

All this would be helped if a certain equilibrium were maintained. If not so many visitors in any given area that residents feeling their home overrun. Conversely, from the visitors perspective, not so many of their fellows in attendance that they might feel put upon as well, with constant crowds and no elbow room. I'd hazard to guess that most tourists are seeking the Colorado of decades past when roads more open, towns quieter and more authentic, and it far more likely some local would welcome the novelty of talking with someone new from distant lands. But of course at a certain number all that lost, the very thing sought loved too much.

Pimps among us have something to do with that, whether some private enterprise, or town councils catering to but where the money is. Any of these folk might be reminded that beyond their own enterprise and pocket book, that their activities also impact all others living, and even visiting, here. That this is our home as well, and when their schemes begin, in effect, to push crowds across the fence onto our lawn that that is too far.

Unread 07-05-2011, 06:28 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,487,576 times
According to some of our "native" posters, there are almost no natives left here anyway, so chances are that the rude man was not a real Coloradan, but just another transplant from one of the rude places.

Unread 07-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Status: "Will be taking a little time off soon" (set 13 days ago)

12,931 posts, read 10,799,903 times
Whether it is a native or an out of stater, I still keep in mind one irreversible truth. There are two types of people in this world, good and bad.

OP, don't give that moron another thought, please. I live in an area where maybe 2/3 of the population are from other areas of the state or are out of staters. And I've heard it all from some of these cretins, especially as the Grand Junction area was starting to really grow in the late 1990's. I can't count enough the number of times I heard people berate the businesses on North Ave., or Orchard Mesa, or other parts of the area just because they were older areas. And I'm not discounting long time natives, there are some of them here I wouldn't give the time of day to after some of my experiences with them.

And on the other hand I've met newcomers, be it long time Colorado people or out of staters who would give the shirt off their back to an individual.

Over the years I've found that people who don't respect other people don't have much respect for themselves.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 07-05-2011 at 07:05 PM..

Unread 07-05-2011, 07:20 PM

5,138 posts, read 3,571,164 times
Sorry one moron ruined your nice drive. Don't let that one person spoil your vacation. Next time you're in these parts, send me a PM, I'll buy yall lunch.

Unread 07-05-2011, 07:27 PM

70 posts, read 43,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Gag me with a spoon,
Haha, I was listening to "Valley Girl" by Frank Zappa when I read this. I had no idea people still used this phrase.

Unread 07-05-2011, 08:28 PM

308 posts, read 271,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares45 View Post
Haha, I was listening to "Valley Girl" by Frank Zappa when I read this. I had no idea people still used this phrase.
They don't. Haven't heard it since the 80s. Too funny!

Unread 07-05-2011, 10:18 PM

1,498 posts, read 1,585,971 times
Well, in all honesty, NY does suck pretty bad.

Unread 07-05-2011, 10:41 PM

118 posts, read 127,367 times
Probably not even from CO ;-) Most of the people that live here aren't from here. No telling where that guy was from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado