U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Status: "CSU P football NCAA at national championship!" (set 1 day ago)

10,356 posts, read 11,932,868 times

Advertisements

Does Colorado Springs have a signature dish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 09:55 PM

1,834 posts, read 1,424,334 times
Attempting to add further information on White Wave Foods

Who Owns Organic | Cornucopia Institute

Old 07-10-2011, 01:55 AM

51 posts, read 83,194 times
Great Divide Brewing Co.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:18 AM

8,234 posts, read 13,482,062 times
You used to be able to get Rocky Mountain Oysters at the Trail Dust Steakhouse. Does this still exist? The one near Arapahoe and Clinton burned down, they built it back, then I think it may have shut down. I don't know about the one near Westminster Mall. Oh, and if you bring a tie, they cut that off for ya and replace it with a free drink.

The Hog's Breath in La Junta serves a mean Rocky Mountain Oyster too.

In the Pueblo area as well as in Walsenburg, we've got these Italian sausage sandwiches called grinders or the Pass Key. If you go to Patti's in Pueblo, you can have the best of boths worlds; instead of getting the Godfather... "a meal you can't refuse", you get the Half Breed- grinder on tortilla smothered in green! Yum.

If you go to the top of Pikes Peak, they serve a rather unique donut. You need a special recipe to make a donut at 14,000 +.

Also in Pueblo, Martinez Cafe has the Polk Street Special. I wouldn't mention it if I didn't think it was worth a try.

Arvada: home of Jolly Rancher candy

Rocky Ford: Watermelon and Cantelope

Pinon Nuts: even though some come from New Mexico

Bucksnort Saloon in Pine Colorado; they used to make a mean guacamole burger

Mataam Fez, Moroccan food; used to be one in Colorado Springs, one on east Colfax in Denver, and one in Boulder, but I'm almost sure it shut down at that location. This is perhaps not unique to Colorado, but worthy of mention. It's the kind of place you would take the wife... maybe not the kids. It used to cost about 25 bucks a plate. That was 10 years ago. You walk in, take your shoes off, sit on the floor, and eat with your hands.

Must add; at DJs Steakhouse in Pueblo, you can get ostrich (red meat, like beef) and quail.

Kokanee salmon- Blue Mesa Colorado

Last edited by McGowdog; 07-10-2011 at 03:30 AM..

Old 07-10-2011, 12:11 PM

9,718 posts, read 12,466,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

Arvada: home of Jolly Rancher candy
Not anymore.

And it was Wheat Ridge actually.

What was unique was when Jolly Rancher was produced here, they used Colorado beet sugar and in conjunction with the higher altitude it made for a unique hard candy.

When Hershey bought JR from Leaf, by 2002 they sent all of the factory equipment to Canada. I dropped by around then and they were clearing it out. I think the factory store closed in 2001.

In 2004 the factory caught fire and burned down. Last I heard it was being redeveloped into a strip mall.

Despite driving past the Ward Rd. exit on I-70 hundreds of times since then, I never could bring myself to go look.

My dad when he grew up used to ride down to the factory and buy Fire Stix.

When I would visit Colorado, it would be a big treat for me to go to the factory and visit the factory store. The air around the factory was always filled with the smell of Jolly Ranchers.

For me now, as the candy is now made in Canada, it doesn't taste the same at all. I can tell. They've also perverted the brand with all sorts of weird flavors.

Hershey is a sick company, which if the founder knew how it's ended up he would be angry.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:36 PM

4,931 posts, read 8,804,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Not anymore.

And it was Wheat Ridge actually.

What was unique was when Jolly Rancher was produced here, they used Colorado beet sugar and in conjunction with the higher altitude it made for a unique hard candy.

When Hershey bought JR from Leaf, by 2002 they sent all of the factory equipment to Canada. I dropped by around then and they were clearing it out. I think the factory store closed in 2001.

In 2004 the factory caught fire and burned down. Last I heard it was being redeveloped into a strip mall.

Despite driving past the Ward Rd. exit on I-70 hundreds of times since then, I never could bring myself to go look.

My dad when he grew up used to ride down to the factory and buy Fire Stix.

When I would visit Colorado, it would be a big treat for me to go to the factory and visit the factory store. The air around the factory was always filled with the smell of Jolly Ranchers.

For me now, as the candy is now made in Canada, it doesn't taste the same at all. I can tell. They've also perverted the brand with all sorts of weird flavors.

Hershey is a sick company, which if the founder knew how it's ended up he would be angry.
The site will be used in a much better way as it is going to be developed in conjunction with the new rail station along the Gold Line corridor. The station will be just east of the site, between Taft and Tabor on Ridge, where it meets the Rail Line. This will be the only station in Wheat Ridge. There is open space all around this area and with the inclusion of the Jolly Rancher site, it will eventually be developed into a nice Transit Oriented Development. The Gold Line will be completed in 2016.

Livecontent

Old 07-10-2011, 07:08 PM

9,718 posts, read 12,466,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
The site will be used in a much better way as it is going to be developed in conjunction with the new rail station along the Gold Line corridor. The station will be just east of the site, between Taft and Tabor on Ridge, where it meets the Rail Line. This will be the only station in Wheat Ridge. There is open space all around this area and with the inclusion of the Jolly Rancher site, it will eventually be developed into a nice Transit Oriented Development. The Gold Line will be completed in 2016.

Livecontent
Was anything else built on the site and all the old buildings torn down?

Old 07-10-2011, 10:18 PM

4,931 posts, read 8,804,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Was anything else built on the site and all the old buildings torn down?
Nothing as yet been built. It is cleared vacant land that is fenced. I am sure the stake holders are waiting until the contracts are signed by the developer for the rail line. The money has been allocated by the Feds for a public/private partnership and we will see a public award ceremony in a few weeks.

Summer of Progress Ahead

I have been following this closely as I live about 1/3 mile from the station on Sheridan. My house will appreciate in value and it will add much to my good walkable neighborhood with rail public transit.

Gold Line Corridor

Livecontent

Old 07-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Status: "CSU P football NCAA at national championship!" (set 1 day ago)

10,356 posts, read 11,932,868 times
I know you can get Rocky Mountain Oysters at the Colorado State Fair...... I got them once.. Let me just say that is one Colorado dish I will never try again...

Old 07-11-2011, 09:32 AM

8,988 posts, read 12,296,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I know you can get Rocky Mountain Oysters at the Colorado State Fair...... I got them once.. Let me just say that is one Colorado dish I will never try again...
LOL!! They're not unique to CO......we had them in Texas.

To me, they are succulent tenderness--no gristle or fat! They were called "calf fries." But they have to be prepared properly (outer skin removed, etc.)

Seasoned batter--and dipping sauces..MMMMMMM.

*Ducking and running*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado