U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 09:05 AM

615 posts, read 2,722,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I think maybe we are looking at this from two different frames of reference.
My point is that a furnace does not contain any humidity at all.
Interesting point, but I don't see how that really relates to human beings. Higher temps combined with higher humidity make people far more uncomfortable than the same temp with lower humidity. I can bear the 100+ temps (and I repeat occasional) here with low humidity easier than the equivalent temp combined with higher humidty that you find elsewhere.

Sorry for getting this thread off on a tangent. Having moved from the San Diego area, overall the cost of living has been less here than there. Housing is far less expensive, gasoline is cheaper (by 20 cents or more per gallon), sales tax is less (5.1%** compared to 7.75% -- saved me $1000 on the new car I bought recently), my utilities are even less and I now have 3 times the square footage to heat/cool (I also don't have to deal with rolling blackouts). Some things are definitely more expensive, but I have found that the overall the cost of living is lower here than the San Diego area.

** Your mileage will vary. Sales tax around Colorado is rather convoluted and dependant on where you live. You have to add the state tax, county tax, city tax, RTD tax (if applicable), and miscellaneous other taxes to get your sales tax rate. We live in Highlands Ranch, which is an unicorporated area of Douglas County, so we have no city taxes making our taxes a bit lower than the surrounding cities.

Last edited by gpraceman; 11-02-2006 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2006, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 7,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
Hi there,

My hubby and I want to move out of CA (sacramento area) next summer when I finish my MA because the cost of living and housing here is absurd. We want to be somewhere picturesque. CO (we've looked into, but haven't visted yet) looks beautiful, but is it as expensive there as it is here? So far we're interested in Denver and Boulder-- we don't want to be too far from the action and I will need a junior college or private school to teach at and hubby needs a hospital (he's an Ultrasound Sonographer). What's your opinion/advice? Should we consider other areas in CO, or do you have other states to suggest?

All feedback much appreciated!
I'll second the Durango suggestion, I took an early retirement (age 52) and my wife and I left San Diego so fast there was a sonic boom. We'd been looking for an area that was rural with pines yet close to a large enough place to have the things we had been used to. We looked at Estes Park (her parents owned property up there) Woodland Park and Durango. Estes was too small and fairly tourist oriented, Woodland Park was very nice but the infrastructure, roads etc, had not kept up with the population growth in the CO Springs area, traffic was as bad as what we were leaving if not worse.

Durango has major tax revenue from gas drilling so taxes are very low, and things like roads, schools etc are a top priory. Prices have spiked but are still way low from CA standards, we bought 10 acres in the tall pines with a 4000+ sq/ft house, guest house and garage/shop, 15 miles from the center of town for 620K, try that anywhere in CA.

Durango has Fort Lewis College, (4yr) at least one 2 year college nearby, and a major medical center, kind of fits your needs to a "T" in that respect, wages are quite a bit lower than CA, and food and essentials are about the same, transportation costs ensure that, we are kind of remote. What makes Durango is the quality of life, we have no regrets at all about leaving CA and choosing to live here. No pizza delivery out here but then I've lost almost 30lbs since moving (June) so it's not all bad.
Good luck wherever you decide.
Dave

Old 10-27-2009, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,403 times
Cost of living is okay in colorado. I live in Grand Junction and it is quite nice but there really is not a lot to do here except ski/snowboard or rockclimb.
As much as I love Grand Junction I would like to suggest Texas maybe? I've heard it is more cheaper than Colorado.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:42 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,334,939 times
I moved to Colorado from Santa Monica and it's WAY cheaper. Apartments are about half the price of LA and there is no comparison when it comes to house prices. You can find a really nice house here for $300,000 that would cost close to $1,000,000 in West LA. The one thing that isn't much cheaper is car insurance. I still haven't figured that one out.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:45 PM

601 posts, read 839,395 times
Helloooo... this thread is more than 3 years old. Notice the date? 2006?

Old 11-02-2009, 01:52 PM

302 posts, read 760,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC View Post
I am also checking the difference in housing and general cost of living difference between Colorado and So Cal - I presently live in San Diego.

I am considering high elevation places in AZ and NM, as well as CO, but for now my first choice is Colorado Springs. Internet searches all come back with the same kind of results - I could lower my income by around 40% and still have the kind of standard of living in Colorado Springs than I presently have in San Diego, and housing is rougly 55% cheaper in colorado Springs than San Diego. As a (soon to be) retired person, Colorado also has the advantage of not taxing the first $20,000 of my pension.

For a decent cost of living (and housing) calculator, look here:

Cost of Living comparison calculator

You can easily compare costs between cities in various states there. I noticed than cost of living calculators are invariably limited to the number of cities you can compare.

JLC
Thank you for that calculator. That is a wonderful resource; it takes a lot of the guesswork out of major decisions.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:37 AM

300 posts, read 1,086,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
Helloooo... this thread is more than 3 years old. Notice the date? 2006?
This is why I sometimes feel searching the forum is not the best idea. You search a topic, find it....then its really old, but gets put to the top since there was a reply....then everyone replies....then someone like you realizes its old info! haha!

I would be interested in an updated cost of living thread if anyone wants to start one. Maybe I should....?

Old 05-25-2011, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,533 times
I just moved into Aurora the 80013 area right off of Iliff and Chambers from Los Angeles Ca, and let me tell you, at first I was afraid the crime stats online were true about Aurora and that all I would see is the kind of stuff I left LA to get away from...but it is beautiful here. I think you really have to do your research just as anywhere you'll find pockets of not so desired areas and I think the more SE of Aurora you go, the better. Anything above Colfax (north, northeast etc.) is too skechy and crime prone. I live in a cute little community and there are kids, schools and middle class working families all around us and if I feel comfortable walking my dogs out late at night that says something, im the biggest worry wart.

I have found however that the cost of living is a lot lower but only for certain things such as housing and healthcare and insurance. Other things such as groceries and personal care such as the manicurust, hair stylist etc. I have found to be the same if not even a little more expensive than Calif.

The weather so far has been rainy and thunderstorms but weve also had some sunny hot days as well, its kind of nice to have such a switch up and not have the drabby hot weather calif offers around teh clock...but if youre not a person who loves the cold, CO def not for you...

any questions, let me know, I am finding out more the more I am here and have no problem posting updates...

Old 05-25-2011, 07:19 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,268,254 times
I realize this is out of left field for this forum but you might want to take a look at Charlottesville, Virginia. I think it has just about everything you listed. The Blue Ridge Mountains aren't the Rockies but it's very pretty around there. Lots of picturesque horse country and it only gets enough snow to be a pleasant change but not an annoyance. The cost of housing would be significantly less than most of CA.

Charlottesville : Better Quality of Life

Old 05-26-2011, 01:38 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,291,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
Hi there,

Is the cost of living in CO as expensive as CA? What's your opinion/advice?
If you are comparing COL in Colorado to Los Angeles greater metro area, Orange County, and/or San Diego area, the answer is heck no, not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado