Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 05:43 PM

26 posts, read 50,842 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family and I will be in Colorado next week for our summer vacation. For the most part we're staying in the Denver area but will also be in Summit County for a couple of days. I reserved a room at the Keystone River Run Village condos and someone brought it to my attention after the fact that they don't have A/C. We're from Texas, so obviously A/C is a must-have. But is this a huge issue in Summit County? From what I can see it peaks around 75 during the day and is rather chilly after dark.

I'm running a race in Keystone on the 17th, which is what brings us to that specific area. Other than that, if anyone has any suggestions on any must-see places to check out, let me know. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 06:02 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Not an issue. Should be cool and dry up there, nights in the upper 30's to mid 40's, GREAT open-window sleeping, and stars in the sky like you've never seen. At those elevations you won't need A/C and with the low humidity you'll think you've gone to heaven. Check accuweather.com for Silverthorn (http://www.accuweather.com/us/co/silverthorne/80498/forecast-details.asp?fday=11 - broken link) to see the details.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:16 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
HAHAHA! AC is a must have!

Keystone is at 9000 feet, I've been to River Run as well, there is no need for AC.

Having spent many a summer in the same elevations of Colorado, I've never had AC. The screen doors and windows are open 24/7. Sometimes if a room faces the sun for a lot of the day it can heat up, but nothing like Texas.

Almost none of the hotels and condos in Summit County have AC.

At night temps WILL drop into the 40's, maybe even less. If it sounds cold, it isn't really, to me anyways and it will flush any warmth from the building out during the night. To accelerate that since I like it cooler, I had a $15 window fan from Wal Mart to flood the apartment with cool air in the evening and night.

To me it's perfect sleeping weather.

What you might find different is the air will be cooler and drier than Texas, but the rays of the sun more intense so standing the sun during the day you may feel warm. Step into the shade and you will see the difference. So if that makes any sense, the sun is warm but the air is cool.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:14 AM

833 posts, read 1,711,895 times
Several years ago I spent the night in Breckenridge and having lived in Tucson for over a dozen years I figured that I wouldn't need AC even if it was a warm night.

As luck would have it there was a big heat-wave (relatively speaking) and while it was comfortable outside, the room was hot and stayed hot. Between a wide open sliding glass door and the fan they provided we managed to cool off, but we didn't have the expected cool, crisp night.

I'm not trying to scare the OP; the Colorado weather is always ready and willing to surprise you, but even when it does it isn't that bad. Open the windows, turn on a fan and all will be fine.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:28 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Wink Beyond considerations of AC

The hotels I'm familiar with in Summit County have the ubiquitous heat pumps which offer both heat and AC. As mentioned, if your accommodations do not offer AC, probably a non-issue; the lack of AC at that altitude about as important as a heater in a Texas summer. Some places are more insulated than others, with different aspects of solar gain as well, but opening windows on either side of the dwelling for a draft should probably suffice. Those preferring a somewhat warm house will discover the nights there even in summer cool to cold.

Since in Keystone, and if any interest, then a short drive up the mountain to A-Basin might be warranted. If still small, it is one of the iconic ski areas in Colorado, and, since they skied to the 4th of July this year, surely with a fair degree of snow still in residence. It can be interesting as well to continue on over Loveland Pass (elevation: 11,990 feet), as A-Basin nearly at the top of it; the quicker route home if desired could be back through the Eisenhower Tunnel.

Summit County is a lovely place, if sadly marred by the near plague of the mountain pine beetle. Also fairly compact at its southern end where most everything is. So quite possible to see it all, and worth it. In towns and all they offer one will find various differences in Keystone (being more a resort), to Dillon, Silverthorne, Frisco and Breckenridge. The latter two should prove of particular interest to the visitor, with charming downtowns. There is plenty to keep one occupied and local, with options in sailing, kayaking, biking, hiking, etc. Then no shortage of fine restaurants to retire too once suitably exhausted.

If the time and inclination, one would also be well positioned for some exploration. They might, for instance, take the time to visit nearby historic Leadville (elevation: 10,152 feet), then perhaps down to see the sights in Vail before the beautiful drive over Vail Pass on I-70 back into Summit County. Another possible excursion, and more of a day long trip, would be to continue south from Leadville to then turn west through the enchanting minuscule hamlet of Twin Lakes and over Independence Pass (elevation: 12,095 feet) into Aspen. It is one of the superlative drives in the United States, in measure comparable to that of Trail Ridge Road across Rocky Mountain National Park (elevation: 12,183 feet), with that road having the distinction of being the highest continuous road in the United States. For that matter Trail Ridge Road is possible from Summit County as well, just pick a different direction, but if in Aspen one can continue down the Roaring Fork Valley to I-70 at Glenwood Springs, thence back.

There should be more than enough to do and see in but a few days, unless finding some way to extend that. It can be pleasant enough that one might be tempted.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:36 PM

River Run sits on the far east edge of Keystone and right at the base of the downhill run from Loveland Pass in a narrow valley, so it sits smack dab next to very high elevations and especially when the sun starts to rise it squeezes cool air downwards into that zone. Even in the summer parts of Keystone can be pretty shaded. I can remember making some pickups in July at River Run at 9 AM and it being distinctly chilly compared to Vail, where I started in the morning. In my opinion despite Breck being higher, I think Keystone is often cooler during the summer, because Breck is in a wider valley more open to sunlight and the cool air doesn't get concentrated so much.

If it's a concern pick up a $15 window fan at Wal Mart and you'll be set.

It's extremely rare for low temps at night to be over 50 degrees.

Keep in mind that a place like Keystone during the summer is one of the most cool populated places in the USA. You will find very few other towns in July in the continental USA it will be so cool.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:11 PM

26 posts, read 50,842 times
Thank you all for the great replies! You've all been so helpful - looking forward to heading that way in four days

Old 07-09-2011, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpt1984 View Post
Thank you all for the great replies! You've all been so helpful - looking forward to heading that way in four days
Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:07 PM

28 posts, read 67,270 times
I live here in Summit County and know River Run well. The hotel is plush, the units are nice...not as much sunshine as I'd like, but that is better if you are concerned re A/C or lack thereof.

We have been having high temps (for us) 85 or even 86 but it always cools down at night and River Run units nearly all have decks, so wide open sliding doors to let the cool in.

You should be fine. I'd only worry if your unit faced on the Plaza and you were there during a wine or beer fest/concert etc as they can be somewhat noisy. Now that the 4th of July crowds are gone, it should be relatively quiet and quite fun! enjoy1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado