U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2006, 07:47 PM

22 posts, read 55,139 times

Advertisements

My wife our 9 year old daughter and I live in the highest property tax state of NJ and we are sick of the state and its tax rate. We are putting our home on the market in the next few weeks and hopefully it will be sold sooner rather than later. Our problem is finding a place to relocate to.

In the hunt for a new location we took a trip down to Huntsville Alabama, we were very disappointed because we found the city to be one giant strip mall without any home town friendly features. My wife needs to feel she can drive into town and walk around, so our mission is find a place that satisfies her, but I dont want to live in a development on .25 -.50 acres. I come from NYC and open space is for me.

We currently live on 1.4 acres in a 3000 sf home and would like a similar arrangement with neighbors on similar sized lots. I have read posts about Fort Collins and that area and it seems promising, but I see mostly development built homes for sale.

Does anyone have any thoughts, places to look and what is available in eastern Colorado.

GB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2006, 09:35 PM

10,676 posts, read 28,486,584 times
Our property taxes are less than yours, so is our state income tax. there are houses on 1 to 5 acre parcels in Parker, Elizabeth, Bennett...Look at spending at least $500,000 property taxes will run about $4,000 a year (depending on the city/county) Chances are you'll have a well/septic system. Be sure to have the well tested for quality & flow. Drilling a new well could cost more than $40,000 depending on how deep they have to go.

but the big thing most folks don't know is that we live in a desert, no humidity, no water, your water bill for a half acre will run $100 or more a month...and yes you need to water your trees in the winter.

Some folks who need the illusion of more space, choose cul de sac lots, backing to open space. A large yard and a $35-$60 a month water bill.

Last edited by 2bindenver; 09-01-2006 at 09:44 PM..

Old 09-02-2006, 11:06 AM

66 posts, read 441,511 times
Default Northern Colorado

Hey Woodenspoke,

You might consider Northern Colorado. An example of a home just listed - nice ranch home in Eaton COlorado on .85 acres for $349,900. 2143 square foot finished and another 1844 square feet in the unfinished basement. Basements are popular here and many home owners finish them very nicely for additional living space. Other custom built homes in the neighborhood or on 1 - 2 acre lots and a $100K more. There is a community swimming pool, and great views of the Rocky Mountains. The $50/mo HOA covers the pool, trash, and watering of the large yard.

There are other communities in Northern Colorado that have custom built large homes on large lots as well.

The further east you go, the more barren the landscape (scenery) becomes. I would try to stay along the front range for views of the Rockies.

I would say that your family would feel very safe in just about all the front range cities in Northern Colorado - Fort Collins included.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:40 PM

22 posts, read 55,139 times
So there are homes on larger lots, I was looking at $400K as a max but I can go higher.

If the home uses a well are you still taxed for local water usage?

What towns would have a variety of events and stores to keep my wife and daughter happy. Yes a mall is necessary too but a 20 minute drive is ok. Plus we like good food.

I forgot to mention I am a woodworker so either an unfinished basement or an attached or detached workshop would also fit the bill. Does this sound like an option in your area. I have been using basements for years now but would prefer a ground level situation. Remember due to the slow market here it may take some time to sell our house.

I current have a well and septic system now so that does not scare me. I'm surrounded by farms and conclaves of homes so being somewhat out of town is not a problem if the drive to town is a short one.

GB

Old 09-08-2006, 10:01 PM

9 posts, read 55,496 times
If you are lucky enough to have a well, then you'd use it at you own expense. Even better, some rural lots also have water rights with a ditch. "Wiskey's for drinking, water's for fighting". There really was blooshed over this stuff, and there still is a lot of wierd things going on with water out here in the west.

The Boulder-Loveland area has most it's rural lots serviced with a water line... which is safe, clean water.

There are probably a number of options in the front range where you are less than 20 minutes from a suburban mall area, good food, an acre of land, and something in the range of 400k.

But by far the newer housing out here is in developments and small lots, not those acre lots like back in NJ. Also, and acre out here can feel smaller without the trees and vegetation like NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or