U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 07:58 PM

835 posts, read 2,568,322 times

Advertisements

so's this a good or bad school? ehh? i am lost!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 06:09 AM

404 posts, read 514,327 times
This might help you out. I ran a search for best colorado colleges, and colorado college always shows up.

Here's a link. You can click on college home to get a rundown on the best colleges in the US.

USNews.com: America's Best Colleges 2007: Colorado College: At a glance

Old 08-11-2007, 07:46 AM

85,010 posts, read 98,863,560 times
"CC" as Colorado College is known, attracts a "different" group of students. And, it is expensive.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,677 times
Take it from someone who goes to Western State...

I'm a transfer student and I can tell you that Western offers the best value education of anywhere I've been.

The education is very personal and 'hands on.' Professors are excellent overall. Material is taught in a way you remember. It feels like a private college more than public. They people are friendly too. I highly recommend Western.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:21 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,202,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Of course you can get a good education at Western State, if you really want. The resources are there to anybody who wants to take advantage of it. But it's a known fact that "anybody with a pulse" (and a HS diploma) can get in there-- I know a bunch of guys from my high school that went there-- and dropped out after the first semester. They have a really low graduation rate. For somebody from Gunnison, Montrose, Salida, Buena Vista, or a nearby town, who wants to stay in the area, Western State is probably a great choice. But why would somebody move across the country to go to Western State unless if it was for the skiing? Especially for the OP who was interested in living in Crested Butte and going to school in Gunnison on the side-- it just doesn't sound like a recipe for sucess. And I am in no way saying I am so great-- I'm going to a pretty mediocre school right now-- Arizona State U-- a school where east coast kids flock to for the girls, palm trees, and the warm sun-- not for the academics. Replace palm trees and swimming with Rocky Mountains and skiing-- different theme, same formula.

Here's what I consider to be the "good" small schools in Colorado: How about Colorado School of Mines? Colorado College? University of Denver? These schools are in a whole different league.
Vegaspilgrim, you are correct that CO School of Mines, Colorado College, and UCD are in a whole different league. They are also in a whole other price bracket. They are difficult schools to get into, and not worth the money, IMO. Onthemove, Western State is a great state school if you choose to apply yourself. It has the reputation of being a party school, but what college is not a party school!?! Any of the smaller state schools in CO are good colleges. They may not be a top university, but unless you plan on getting a job where the college you went to makes a difference, it shouldn't matter.

I think you would be much happier living in Gunnison, CB, or another small ski town, rather than Evergreen, which has become a rich mountain suburb of Denver. To many people live there and commute to Denver, making the drive on I-70 terrible. Plus, I don't think you would be happy in Evergreen as a young person. There just is nothing to do! Living in a small mountain town in your late teens/early twenties is an experience like no other. I lived in Fairplay for about 5 years when I was in my early twenties and I loved it. I was only 40 minutes away from Breck and skied all the time! You might also consider getting a full time job at one of the ski resorts. You will have a season pass that way, and probably work the weekends when the resort is the busiest. That will free you up to ski during the week, the prime time for locals to ski. Best of luck on your move.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:31 PM

9 posts, read 50,357 times
Default Crested Butte

I have been to Crested Butte six times to visit. At first, I thought it was heaven. After hanging out a while, watching people and spending alot of time downtown I realized what one poster said. It is very upidy, snobby, stuckup and if your an outsider you don't belong. It is fine for skiing. The mountain was great, but the locals act like they are God's gift to the earth. In the reality they are a bunch of bums working minimum wage jobs living 5 to a house trying to make a living so they can ski all winter. Not that doing that is bad, but their attitude sucks!! Without toursim, Crested Butte is DEAD!! A small plot of land is $350,000. Their are 20 year old trailers sitting on 5 acres outside of Crested Butte going for $250,000. That is insane. My question is what in the hell do these people do for a living to afford such high prices. My wife and I make $86,000 a year and I don't think I could sneeze in Crested Butte without losing my money!!

Old 12-18-2007, 08:53 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,111,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunknd4345 View Post
I have been to Crested Butte six times to visit. At first, I thought it was heaven. After hanging out a while, watching people and spending alot of time downtown I realized what one poster said. It is very upidy, snobby, stuckup and if your an outsider you don't belong. It is fine for skiing. The mountain was great, but the locals act like they are God's gift to the earth. In the reality they are a bunch of bums working minimum wage jobs living 5 to a house trying to make a living so they can ski all winter. Not that doing that is bad, but their attitude sucks!! Without toursim, Crested Butte is DEAD!! A small plot of land is $350,000. Their are 20 year old trailers sitting on 5 acres outside of Crested Butte going for $250,000. That is insane. My question is what in the hell do these people do for a living to afford such high prices. My wife and I make $86,000 a year and I don't think I could sneeze in Crested Butte without losing my money!!
"Trust funders" or, if young, living off Mommie and Daddy. The older ones (middle age on up) bring there money with them from someplace else. Been that way in Crested Butte for at least 35 years that I know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or