Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:50 AM

835 posts, read 2,856,587 times

Advertisements

As i continue to look at areas in Colorado this may outrank Evergreen and it has what i want, almost 200'' of snow a year, jobs nearby in aspen/resort areas, a montain college in aspen, it also appears that there are ALOT of young people in Cressted Butte, and it seems alot cheaper than the vail/aspen area, if i am correct about all of the above i am going to seriously condsider it. city data showed that apts/condos were cheaper than state avg, thats very good to here also and the median age is well below colorados avg also nice, anyway if anyone has any info please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 10:05 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,511 times
While Crested Butte is a nice area (awesome mtn biking and hiking there), you realize that it's quite a L-O-N-G way from Aspen, right?

Google Maps will tell you to drive over Schofield Pass through Marble to get from CB to Aspen. The unpaved road between Schofield Pass and Marble is very rough and hairy (and it has claimed lives in the past).

Your best bet in the summer is to drive over Kebler Pass to get to Aspen -- it's a dirt road, but drivable in a regular sedan. That'll take about 2.5 hours. I can't imagine it's open (or easily drivable) in the winter though.

Driving on paved roads in the winter, you'll have to through Gunnison on Highway 50 west, which will probably take about 3.5-4.5 hours.

You might be better off living in Gunnison, which has a college.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:25 AM

Fuzz, couldnt i take CO-135 south to gunnison it says 28 miles on mapquest, thats about what i'd do from evergreen to rrcc in lakewood

Old 08-09-2007, 10:29 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,511 times
Maybe you meant Gunnison, but in your original post, you kept saying Aspen. If it's Gunnison, then yes, that's easily doable.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:36 AM

yea either works, i have also looked into western state college in gunnison looks promising i think i may be indeed going with crested butte. my requirements are tough but simple:
college/job no more than 30 miles from living quarters
lots of snow, evergreen does good near 100'' most years but 200'' is hard to pass up
dont wanna live in a disney land type of setting so aspen vail breck wont work
want there to be young people ,butte has lots of those
no traffic
mtns of course!

Old 08-09-2007, 10:55 AM

25 posts, read 80,642 times
Default CB is expensive

My daughter lived in Crested Butte for about five years; she worked various jobs there to support her habit (snow boarding). She and her boyfriend decided to buy a house to start building some equity. They had to move to Gunnison to do that because housing in CB is so expensive. So, go take look at CB, but keep Gunnison, near the college as a back up location. If you do what she did, rent a small house with two or three other people, the CB might be doable for you.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:00 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
onthamove

Are you aware that Gunnison is one of the coldest places in Colorado and that Crested Butte is only slightly warmer? There will be some winter days when the HIGH temperature wont get above zero. However, if you love cold weather you'll be in heaven! Summers are just fantastic...always cools off as soon as the sun goes down.

best wishes with your search....Franco

Old 08-09-2007, 11:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
onthamove: I think you might find a 30 mile commute quite a challenge in the winters in the CB/Gunnison area. I think Gunnison is a cute little town, should have lots of young people w/the college there. Crested Butte is more the "Disneyland" atmosphere as it is a ski resort town.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:56 AM

i am begining to think cb but, will need to look into it more. as for the 30 mle commute my car (tiburon) gets between 30-32 mpg so that isnt to big of an issue of course with its 5 1/4'' clearance wont take much snowfall to really mess things up, i am going to look into this area some more as a good college is important because i think my future really is in furthering my education i like how it was like leadville a mining boomtown, but it seems to be less depressed than leadville and the college at gunnison really has my attenion also, here is my question though, if gunnison is so cold why does it only avg 50-60'' powder a winter? thats sorta strange denver gets about that any answers?

Old 08-09-2007, 12:13 PM

according to city data western state college is only 12 miles from CB sweet!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado