U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 08:10 AM

6 posts, read 21,272 times

Advertisements

This is one of the biggest questions and largest expenses. I'd like to give my experiences as a single mom. I have tried a number of different options from in-home daycare to Montessori to the #4 rated college-run center in the US.

First, when you look at a daycare center and assume it is better because it is a center that can be very misleading. There is a huge difference between centers that are licensed and ones that are accredited. Accreditation adds a lot to the requirements for the center, from age-appropriate rooms and play areas, time outdoors, food served, learning activities etc. Another huge factor I have found to effect my satisfaction is the turn-over rate of the lead staff in each room.

As far as in-home care, I've found that more difficult to feel comfortable about. Most parents love their kids completely, and that's a great thing right? Well, it is except when you're also having them watch your child. As much as we try to not be influenced by our prejudices (such as our kids are the best) they will be expressed in some situations. Saying that, I think it can be a great option for some people if you feel you really know the caregiver.

I'm hoping to move to CO in a couple months and was shocked to learn that kindergarden is only half time in Denver! It has added another level of stress to my moving research from out of state.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 6,598 times
Default Cost of Daycare

I currently provide daycare and have been for many years. My first born son was in daycare from 9 weeks to 2 1/2 years. His first provider hurt him. It was a friend, and I paid a cut rate. The second provider was amazing...everything I could ask for my boy. And I paid about $165 a week M-F. That was 4 years ago, and I am certain the rates have increased. Moms-I beg you to not choose your daycare by the cheap cost. You cannot put a price on the safety and well-being of your children. If someone (in-home) charges a little more per week, say $125 vs. $100, there is a reason. Perhaps the more expensive one provides FRESH fruit every meal, or supplies arts and crafts, and every child needs to be encouraged to show their personal creativity. This provider might do mini-field trips or provide a special lunch treat on Fridays (Pizza or Happy Meals). My point is, providing a place where a kid does more than watch TV all day, or lay around bored, cost a little extra. It's called overhead. And I do want my child to have the best, everyday. All moms have something in the budget they can cut, to allow for daycare...Starbucks, Fast-food lunches, wardrobe, make-up...you name it. Your childs well being and safety are far more important than having a coach purse, don't ya think. Thanks for listening. Also, my parents and kids like me because I am real, I am happy and so is my household, and I treat all the kids as if they are my own...with lots of love and respect. God Bless.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 6,598 times
Default To Cali07

My son attends Kindergarten in the Cherry Creek school district, and they had to do a public speaking assignment where they were graded on eye-contact, presentations both oral and visual, and voice influction. He goes to school about 3 hours a day. They also do more homework than I would have expected. Our boy seems ready for 2nd grade, let alone first grade. A very good, challenging, curriculum.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:17 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,501,488 times
Personally, I don't know how anybody affords good childcare anywhere in the nation, which is why I left my career when I had my first child a decade ago.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:25 PM

227 posts, read 931,755 times
I used to have my son in daycare 3 days a week from 6:30am to 4pm. It was $160 a week and I am in Colorado Springs, and this was 2 years ago. That equaled a little over $600 a month. It was a national day care center and while I loved his teacher, he was sick ALL THE TIME. We have since found a nanny in our home for 3 days a week for $200 a week. She is a CNA and works another job so she does not rely on nanny income solely. I like that she is healthcare-focused, helps with preschool activities and walks with my son to the park. I love his one-on-one attention not to mention way fewer (if any) colds. The year he turns 4 we will put him back into a preschool setting to get socialized with other kids and groups. We felt paying the $800 a month was worth it to have him be less sick and get individual attention. I know not everyone would agree, but just wanted to point out an alternative if you can do it. We did a background check, fingerprinting and a urine drug test on our nanny too.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,240 times
I am in Texas and do some child care along with many other things. I can tell you $10 an hour will get you what you paid for. Someone to pick up the kids and sit them infront of the TV. Just like all other things in this world you get what you pay for. I make 20 to 35 an hour for kids. However this is just a small part of what I do. Are there personal concierges in Castle Pines Village

Old 05-12-2009, 02:18 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,493,155 times
It's tough...especially for parents with babies. 5 years ago, we had to search and put ourselves on numerous waiting lists to even get our daughter into a decent facility. Back then, it was $192 per week! What's sad is that when I would stop by at odd hours, my daughter was always in a bouncer or in a line of cribs (not exactly getting individual attention). The daycare facility can't put a lot of babies with just one caregiver so they use that excuse to charge as much as possible. The whole thing is a sham but there's not much you can do. I wanted her in a well-known facility (don't know if I can say it, but she was in Kindercare) and not in a home daycare because I wasn't comfortable leaving her in a place that depended solely on one person and had no real threat from inspectors. I had heard nightmare stories from others who used home daycares. You really are stuck between a rock and hard place when you HAVE to go to work. I am grateful that with my second child, I can stay home with her, but I know that not everyone is able. Good luck.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali07 View Post
I'm hoping to move to CO in a couple months and was shocked to learn that kindergarden is only half time in Denver! It has added another level of stress to my moving research from out of state.
My daughter is in Kindergarten and yes, it's half day (actually LESS than that because she's only in school from 8 am to 10:40 am). However, every day, the kids line up into 3 different lines (those riding the bus home, those getting picked up by their parents/caregivers, and those attending the after school program). The line for after school program is the longest. There is a waiting list so as soon as you know where your child is going to school, sign up for the after school care. They have great opportunities to join different clubs, so it's just not babysitting. The kids in the after school program also seem to have a bond and more friends since they are together longer every day. Most schools offer after school care. Also, if you find yourself on the waiting list, find out where others are sending their kids who are on the waiting list as well. Don't let that add additional stress as you aren't the only one dealing with this issue and you'll likely find lots of other parents who can give you advice.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:47 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,106,745 times
One more reason for birth control, IMO... Thanks for the reminder!

Old 05-12-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
One more reason for birth control, IMO... Thanks for the reminder!
Ha! I suppose that's true as I just had this exact conversation with my sister who is now on the baby making track. However, as it turns out, having kids is also a reason NOT to shop at Crate and Barrel for every piece of furniture, to not buy every trend in fashion and to forego $250 shoes. Most parents have to make some sacrifices for kids and if you're not ready to do that, it's better not to become a parent. I'm not attacking you by any stretch, because you're right...if you're not ready, better to stay on the birth control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or