U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 05:52 PM

367 posts, read 836,041 times

Advertisements

I just checked into daycare costs for my 16 month old daughter.....and I only need to find a place for her for 2-3 1/2 days a week. This would cost $480-$500+ a month at the established 'centers.'

I am asking this b/c I am in Ft. Collins, the wages here aren't that high that many people would be able to afford to pay this much for childcare.....let alone (the costs) if you had more than one kid or if you needed full-time daycare.

My DH and I have always been able to work around eachother's schedule so we didn't really need childcare up to this point.

I know you can get gov't assistance but that is only if you make poverty level wages. You can also write daycare off on your taxes but still $500/ month for part time daycare (for one kid) is crazy expensive.

How do people do it?

p.s. I am not asking that daycare be free....I know caring for kids is a hard job....but the costs for childcare have to be within means of what people 'can' pay. I am looking into the 'home' daycares which are cheaper, but they seem to not have placement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 09:34 PM

3,689 posts, read 6,913,181 times
my older brother is paying 1200 per month for 5 days a week daycare. expensive as hell. We are lucky to have a grandma that does not mind watching our little one for us

Old 08-10-2007, 12:37 AM

432 posts, read 1,379,469 times
I think you should put an ad in the paper. There has to be some college student coming back to town that could use a part time job. I know that CSU even has a bulletin board that you can hang an ad on for jobs. I would not pay 500.00 a month either!!!!! Just make sure you take the time to check references and do a criminal history on them.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 8 days ago)

70,008 posts, read 60,539,184 times
There was a story on Channel 9 this morning about how people underestimate the cost of day care. There is the extra care needed for the commute, etc. I do not know how a college student could commit to that amt of time with a class schedule.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:20 PM

17,016 posts, read 14,511,787 times
I thought the same thing when we got here a few months ago and I started looking at preschools. Daycare/preschool is the only thing I've found so far that is more expensive here than in California. I don't have any advice to give. This coming year is going to hurt financially for us because of this.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:54 PM

11 posts, read 42,022 times
Default Just FYI - Daycare cost in Chicago (NW bubs)

Just thought I would share what we pay for daycare here in Chicago. $38 per day, fulltime 5 days would be $780 per month. My wife and I haved talked to other parents, and this is actually pretty cheap for our market. We know others paying $1,000 per month for one kid.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILFlatlander View Post
Just thought I would share what we pay for daycare here in Chicago. $38 per day, fulltime 5 days would be $780 per month. My wife and I haved talked to other parents, and this is actually pretty cheap for our market. We know others paying $1,000 per month for one kid.
For a ten hr day, that is not outrageous. My DD worked at a daycare last summer; it is HARD work, even for someone 19 yrs old who loves kids! She finally understood what I meant when I said "I worked all day; I'm tired".

If you have someone come to the house, you will probably pay around $7/hr, if not more. No-one is going to do it for much less. No-one you would want to hire, anyway.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:35 PM

739 posts, read 2,093,723 times
going rate for in-home sitters for one kid average 10/hr... typically I pay high schoolers 6-7. when my daughter was younger we used the 10/hr b/c they are older and we wanted someone older (20somethings) with more expeirence. Average rate for daycare is 40/day here. I've asked around. We pay 834/month for full day preschool (w/ before and after care).

Old 08-13-2007, 07:45 PM

346 posts, read 1,091,000 times
When I was working full-time (4 years ago), I hired an in-home nanny who came to my house at 7:00 a.m. and left at 4:00 p.m. We paid her $500 per week to watch our infant twins until they were three (at which time I quit work to be home with them for a few years). It was expensive, but I developed a good relationship with the caregiver and knew that my kids were being well-cared for and receiving one-on-one attention, which would not happen in a day-care situation (I know--I worked for 8 years at one before becoming an elementary teacher). By being in our home, my kids were able to sleep as late as needed, have breakfast prepared, lunch prepared, take an afternoon nap, play, etc. all in the familiar environment of our home. They also were not exposed to zillions of germs, which are unavoidable in daycare centers. Of course I would have preferred being home with them myself, but that was not an option for us at the time. However, I am very grateful for having been blessed with such a terrific nanny, who I now call "friend". I knew she loved my children, and that meant a lot. Just remember that your kids are only the age at which they are now once in their lives. Childcare is not an area to substitute inexpensiveness for quality. Take your time and choose carefully. Just my opinion.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:15 PM

I agree, rebagirl. My DD used to say the kids were being raised by their caregivers, and it's true! Fortunately, she loves children, and did a good job (she's working at a sleep-over camp this summer). Good child care is expensive. I don't know how some moms do it. I did not work full time when my kids were little. I can't say I enjoyed every moment, but I found it a lot more fun than my job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado