U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,733 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am considering relocating my family to Colorado. I have been doing much research and believe this could be an excellent place to raise my family. We are attracted to the Colorado Springs or Fort Collins areas being they have been rated highly in the recent past for places to raise families.

A little about our family: My wife and I are both in our mid twenties, she works in a nursing home and is a CNA as well a Certified Medication Technician. I work for Chase in the credit card services division. We are both fairly confident our work will transfer over fairly easily, her working in nursing homes, any myself with the bank. We have three children ages 5 months to 6 years old. We enjoy outdoor activities (when we have time) like hiking, camping with the kids, or even taking the kids to a nice fun park.

Missouri is extremely humid and to put it lightly - boring. Yes we have a lot of trees, and some lakes... But that’s it. There is Branson, Mo down the street, but growing up here… it’s not very exciting. The lakes are not very clean, mostly green or brown. The bugs here… so many bugs…(i.e. ticks, mosquito’s, flies, etc). I’m sure my current opinion is exaggerating quite a bit, but if you are from here… You’ll understand.

We are not impressed with the school district... at all! We want better for our children academically, but also would like them to experience a more open and magnificent environment for outdoor activities and experiences.

Financially, the pay here is very low. We have decent paying jobs for our area - but from doing research online we could be making a significant amount more almost ANYWHERE in the country than we are here. Yes, the cost of living is higher, but my impression from reading others posts the quality of life in Colorado is well worth that cost.

So my questions to any former SW Missourians, HOW'S IT GOING?! Are you happy you moved? Do you miss Missouri at all? Is there anything you would have done different? How are the schools in comparison? What area did you move to? Was finding work difficult? Any regrets? Is your family (if applicable) happy with the change?

Also feel free to toss around any suggestions or comments even if you have not lived in my current area. We wouldn't mind hearing from you!

Thank you for your replies in advance!

P.S. If and when we do decide to move to CO, the goal is by June 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 08:36 PM

825 posts, read 1,604,632 times
I can speak only to the relative situation between Springfield, Mo., and either Denver or the area around Colorado Springs, especially Ute Pass up to Woodland Park. I know a bit about the Durango area, but almost nothing about any other, so my comments should be confined to those two areas.

Pay is better in Denver than Springfield. In most jobs it likely is not enough better to offset the higher cost of housing, much less the local taxes. Housing is 40-100% more than in Springfield, house for house. Pay is little if any better in Colorado Springs, and it tends to get even lower as you go into the smaller communities - much like the difference between, say, Springfield and Mt. Vernon. Of course, in your particular fields this may not be true. The cost of living in Colorado Springs and much of the area may be a little higher but it is at least comparable to Springfield.

Schools are, by and large, comparable. You may be able to ferret out a school district that is superior, but the same is true in Missouri.

The climate is so superior as to be beyond belief. Contrary to what many back in Springfield believe, winters here are really very pleasant. It can, and does get quite hot along the front range but the humidity makes it quite bearable. Up here at 8600 ft. we don't even have air conditioning. But don't tell anyone, we're trying to keep it secret.

Insects, not an issue. We can have the occasional problem with bears, foxes, coyotes, mountain lions, prairie dogs, and ground squirrels. Oh, and the deer eat absolutely everything that grows.

It is a near dessert here. This is often not appreciated by transplants. Gardening can range from challenging to impossible depending upon your access to water. My well permit, just to cite an example, does not allow me to fill so much as an inflatable kiddie pool outdoors.

Before you make the move, check into the what the Buffalo River region offers in the way of the great outdoors. I explored it for nearly 30 years and barely scratched the surface. But I only tramped it between late Oct. and mid April when the insects are quiet and the leaves were off the trees, allowing me to see all the bluffs and waterfalls and caves. It is the best kept secret of any natural scenery in the US.

Being bored is, of course, a state of mind. So many of the kids that grow up here in the high country cannot wait to graduate so they can go somewhere else. They're "bored".

Old 02-03-2012, 03:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,443 times
Canine, I too am from Tx. only further south. I am working on moving to Colorado in June if all goes according to plan...if not then I am going to take an extended scouting trip....in search of the area I will put new roots down in....last July I went to do scout some areas of interest and fell in Love with the area around Salida...there are several small towns like Howard...Monte Vista and Buena Vista. I had wanted to venture to the area around Pagosa Springs put ran out of time. I was called back to Tx to help my daughter get the nursery done before my grandson was born...it was hard to leave. The temps were in the upper 60's -lower 70's during the day and don't think they got below 50 at night :- ) Maybe jazzlover has insight/info on those areas...?? Have you thought about a roommate to help with expenses?? I have entertained the idea of living there in the spring -fall and doing the snowbird thing if it gets too cold....just a thought. Good luck :- )

Old 02-03-2012, 07:08 AM

18 posts, read 84,092 times
I'm in almost the exact same situation as the op. I live in the Springfield, MO area (Republic) and am considering a move to Denver or Colorado Springs. I also have three kids, but I work as a software engineer and my wife is a homemaker.

How is the tech job market? Will the expected increase in salary make up for the increased cost of living? I understand that it is the high desert, but how strict are the water restrictions? Will I be unable to have a small kiddy in the summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado