U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Colorado: TV service, internet access, homeschooling, real estate, housing.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:56 AM

16 posts, read 55,451 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I'm so thrilled I found this site. I've found it extremely informative!

My DH and I are looking at relocation with his job. We have many locations across the US to consider, but CO is high on our list.

I've read a lot about Grand Junction and we are really liking it. But I had some questions that I didn't see answered yet.

What kind of TV service is there? Cable or satellite?

Internet access? Cable, satelite, DSL?

What about garbage pickup? Here in Chicago, the rules vary from town to town. Some recycle, some don't. Some have restriction on what you can put out, some, the sky's the limit.

Are there family activities? We have 2 young boys, 2 & 4. I am hoping to find a community where I can get involved with playgroups, maybe homeschooling co-ops, things like that. I am currently WOH but when we move, I'll be SAH. So I'll want to be able to keep the kids busy and occupied and I want us to really become part of the community. Currently, we don't really do anything or are part of any playgroups and we've been here 12 years. :lol I want that to change.

Are there "special" restriction on dogs? We have 2, a Rott/boxer mix and a pitt. The pitt is the one I'm worried about given the amount of slashing the media gives them. I know some towns forbid them entirely. However, he's coming with us...period.

Are there towns/communities surrounding GJ? We don't necessarily have to be *in* GJ, but need to be within 30-60 minutes commute, even in the worst of weather.

We are also going to look at Ft Morgan, Denver, and Sedalia, but I haven't started on those areas yet. But if ya'll have any input on those too, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 10:54 AM

10,692 posts, read 28,578,928 times
You can't live in Denver with the dog.

see breed specific legislation in COLORADO
Aurora,(under litigation), Castle Rock, Commerce City, Denver, Fort Lupton, Golden (repealed), La Junta, Lone Tree, Louisville, Wellington.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:59 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,170,257 times
Grand Junction is booming because it is the "trade center" for all of the coal bed methane gas drilling going on in the region. It is not growing smartly and is having the problems associated with that. I used to live near there (I still have family in Delta) and it was great in years past. Now, it has many urban problems with few of the amenities. Of the surrounding towns, I still like Palisade. Delta, 45 miles south, is not growing smartly either, and seems (according to my relaltives there) to be having crime problems disproportionate to a community its size.

If you are lucky enough to have a decent paying job offer in Grand Junction, you are in a minority. Be warned that, for most people, salaries, outside of the gas industry, are generally poor. Many people are now struggling to live on the Western Slope, unless they are retired with a substantial income, or brought a lot of money with them. Most young people growing up in the area have to leave to make a decent living. As an example, I have a friend in Delta who runs a successful small business. But he couldn't grow it enough to have jobs for his two kids. Both of them live and work in the Denver area now. That's pretty much how it works in most of rural Colorado. The inflating real estate prices are just aggrevating the situation.

In Colorado, you pretty much have three choices: 1)bring a lot of money with you and live where you want; 2)live in rural Colorado and struggle to get by on meager income with few career-advancement opportunities; or 3)make a decent living, but have to live in the urbanized/sprawled Front Range (that looks, feels, and acts pretty much like every other "'burb" in America). That's the reality that the Chamber of Commerce won't tell you, nor will some of the Pollyannas that post on this board (many of whom I suspect brought a bunch of money with them when they moved to Colorado).

Old 08-10-2007, 01:21 PM

1,872 posts, read 5,664,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
...nor will some of the Pollyannas that post on this board (many of whom I suspect brought a bunch of money with them when they moved to Colorado).
Man, with your keen insight and how you just happen to know everything, you should really go work for the police, the CIA, FBI, NSA, or something.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:38 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,202,483 times
Default The Glad Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
In Colorado, you pretty much have three choices: 1)bring a lot of money with you and live where you want; 2)live in rural Colorado and struggle to get by on meager income with few career-advancement opportunities; or 3)make a decent living, but have to live in the urbanized/sprawled Front Range (that looks, feels, and acts pretty much like every other "'burb" in America). That's the reality that the Chamber of Commerce won't tell you, nor will some of the Pollyannas that post on this board (many of whom I suspect brought a bunch of money with them when they moved to Colorado).
Your posts are very intelligent, serious and thought provoking and I enjoy reading them, but:

I am a Pollyanna. I cannot remember things, where I put them, and my troubles are somewhere that I forget where they are. I live simply, think simply. I see happy instead of sad. I see good instead of bad. I do not worry about which I cannot change. I believe the future will be happy and good. I am happy.

I play the "Glad Game". Play with me. I am a Pollyanna.

I suggest worry less and live more, for joy is the purpose of life.

"... I have plenty o' nuttin, and nuttin plenty for me" Porgy and Bess

Old 08-10-2007, 02:04 PM

4,641 posts, read 9,158,992 times
Moonhoney, Grand Junction is a growing community, current population around 50,000. There are lots of varied neighborhoods and opportunities. I can't answer any of your specific questions, but I do know that Delta and Montrose are within 30-60 minute commute south of Junction on Highway 50, and other small towns such as Orchard City and Eckert that are to the east of Delta. There's also Fruita to the east along I-70.

Maybe some other forum members will chime in and actually answer your questions.

Last edited by Dreaming of Hawaii; 08-10-2007 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-10-2007, 09:58 PM

16 posts, read 55,451 times
Thanks all!

DH will be working within the gas industry. The first year or so we expect to be really tight (low wage while training plus the disappearance of my salary), but after that, things should improve for us. So while the housing costs do concern me (and because I'm a bit of a tightwad, it would concern me even if we were coming in with a money tree LOL), it should hopefully be doable after a period of time. We'll probably rent for the first year or so until his pay gets better.

How does it look for the energy industry there? Will it thrive for a long time? We are looking for a place to call home. We don't want to relocate every few years. I want my boys to have a "hometown", KWIM? I want to plant some roots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado