U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 08:44 AM

3,042 posts, read 7,941,910 times

Advertisements

Tfox,

no we are not, look at the topic of this thread, no where did she say large equine properties. she was asking about sustainablity and progressive, both of which I know well since my job is in sustainable, affordable Green building and community and i have worked and taught progressive politics and lived for years as a progressive.

No longer though.

Hey Co-bound( check out the magazine Progressive Farmer--it gives the best places in the US where it is rural and progressive and sustainable living).
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 04:13 PM

10,871 posts, read 41,162,985 times
tfox must be seeing something in Boulder that I haven't ... a house for $300K.

Even a little wood frame house in SW Boulder subdivisions is assessed at around $750K ... that's in a neighborhood with 1/5 acre lots. The nicer areas are much, much, much more expensive.

Thanks to Boulder's limited building permits, exclusivity hit Boulder many years ago. It's not a town for "wage-earners" if you want to buy property.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:58 AM

11 posts, read 51,286 times
Progressive and rural are oxymorons around these parts.

If you want rural and a town that is planning for the future I would look at Hayden, Meeker, New Castle and Silt. They have all put together community development plans in the past few years. You'll be able to buy a nice place for the money you have as well.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:48 AM

4 posts, read 17,189 times
I love the Rye area! This area is a sleeper community with most people traveling to Pueblo to work(20miles away). Colorado Springs (1+ hours away has an airport). This community is great! We close on our home this week. The people are friendly and helpful. We just moved from Anchorage, Alaska. We see that this area is going to explode. The weather's great and many people are working on solar and wind gens. for their home. I know of a home that was completely off the grid.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:30 AM

55 posts, read 235,200 times
I don't have any clue about housing costs in Colorado, but I wanted to add my uninformed 2 cents :-)

A friend of mine moved to Colorado after getting married to settle down & start a family. She & her hubby ended up in Carbondale, about 30 or 40 minutes from Aspen. They claim it's affordable & still close enough to feel somewhat tied to the benefits of Aspen!!

Anyone familiar with the Carbondale area might chime in & be more helpful (or tell me I'm crazy). Just thought there might be some communities just on the outskirts of some larger towns that are still affordable that are still a secret to the general public!

Old 02-26-2007, 09:03 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,516,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
tfox must be seeing something in Boulder that I haven't ... a house for $300K.

Even a little wood frame house in SW Boulder subdivisions is assessed at around $750K ... that's in a neighborhood with 1/5 acre lots. The nicer areas are much, much, much more expensive.

Thanks to Boulder's limited building permits, exclusivity hit Boulder many years ago. It's not a town for "wage-earners" if you want to buy property.
Nothing for 300k in Boulder, but there are single family homes in south Boulder on the market today well within the 300s. Not the nicest places in town, but nothing wrong with them. I didn't live in a single family home during my days in Boulder, but a townhome instead -- there are lots of those around Boulder that "wage-earners" can afford.

I think people exaggerate Boulder's high property values. Sure, it's high, more expensive than Louisville/Lafayette, but not everywhere in Boulder has the prices of Mapleton Hill.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:21 AM

10,871 posts, read 41,162,985 times
tfox .... and are any of those $300K SW Boulder area properties OK for a family with a Great Dane and 3 horses, which is what the OP was looking for?

I've ridden past the equine properties on the extreme South end of Boulder, by the Boulder open spaces, with the little older houses that aren't in such great condition ... starting at about $600K and UP for a 1 acre or so place, barely room enough to stable a couple of horses and store hay and so forth ...

Old 03-01-2007, 08:12 AM

35 posts, read 172,736 times
Yuo want a place that is prograssive AND rural? Kind of an ozymoron, Aspen and Vail are the only two liberal mountain towns I think. They might be nice but are very expensive.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:04 PM

13,644 posts, read 21,499,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elealaska View Post
I love the Rye area! This area is a sleeper community with most people traveling to Pueblo to work(20miles away). Colorado Springs (1+ hours away has an airport). This community is great! We close on our home this week. The people are friendly and helpful. We just moved from Anchorage, Alaska. We see that this area is going to explode. The weather's great and many people are working on solar and wind gens. for their home. I know of a home that was completely off the grid.
I don't know if it's going to "explode" or anything but good for you. You've found a hidden gem in Colorado. If you want to get to know your community better, be at the game 3/2/2007 at 7:00pm and root for the Bolts! You might see some of your kids teachers or future teachers there. Heck, you might even see the Sheriff! Or maybe he'll be too busy fighting crime in The Great Metropolis of Pueblo! (excuse the sarcasm=)

Old 04-11-2007, 05:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,713 times
Default Sustainable Energy Highlands Ranch

Saw this Thread and wanted to respond that Highlands Ranch, CO is taking steps in regards to renewable energy.

More info can be read at

http://www.hrcleantech.com
http://renewablehighlandsranch.blogsome.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or