U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 09:33 AM

5 posts, read 13,892 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband, Great Dane, self, and 3 horses want to re-locate to Co from Louisiana. We are looking for someplace progressive and sustainable to live with our animals. A community is very important to us, since ours has left, post Katrina. We thought about Salida until we learned that they might not have a sustainable plan there. We are considering Crestone, Boulder area that is affordable... Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and 2 hours from an airport is max for our children to visit. Thanks.

Last edited by CO-bound; 09-03-2006 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2006, 06:25 PM

10,678 posts, read 28,495,910 times
define affordable and sustainable?

Old 09-03-2006, 06:42 PM

Default areas that are progressive and ruralish with a sustainable plan

What I mean by sustainable is to have a growth plan for the city, like long range plans for water availability, alternative energy being considered, things like that. Affordable means to me - $300-550 maybe. Thanks for asking.

Old 09-03-2006, 06:54 PM

8 posts, read 41,380 times
Default Check out Ridgway Colorado

You should check into Ridgway, located at the base of the San Juan range. It is small town, very beautiful with nice community, right at the base of the mountain range with lots of open space. I lived there for 14 years and I believe they are very into planning for growth, sustainability, etc. Many progressive thinkers mixed with some rancher/famer/cowboy types. It is located 25 mintues from Montrose which has an airport and 1 1/2 hours from Grand Junction which also has a slightly bigger airport. Both airports have large, commercial flights coming and going all the time. Check it out . . . I think it may be what you're looking for. Good luck!!

Old 09-11-2006, 02:47 PM

5 posts, read 22,237 times
Default Sustainable community

For your price range and lifestyle, you want to live in metro-Denver. Look at excellent places like Highlands Ranch in south-Metro on E-470; look at Aspen or Conifer, over the first peaks of the Rockies in western metro on Highway 285; look at the Bowles Avenue community west of Littleton, which is a nice metro part of town and there are properties with stables and acreage; look at Lookout Mountain, west of Denver on I-70. There are still some homes with acreage there in your price range. Good luck!

Old 09-11-2006, 08:03 PM

Default Areas that are progressive and ruralish with a sustainable plan

Thank you AC. Actually those areas don't seem very rural, at least not where I looked.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:59 AM

1,088 posts, read 5,732,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamosa cowboy View Post
For your price range and lifestyle, you want to live in metro-Denver. Look at excellent places like Highlands Ranch in south-Metro on E-470; look at Aspen or Conifer, over the first peaks of the Rockies in western metro on Highway 285; look at the Bowles Avenue community west of Littleton, which is a nice metro part of town and there are properties with stables and acreage; look at Lookout Mountain, west of Denver on I-70. There are still some homes with acreage there in your price range. Good luck!
CO-Bound you are right about the cowboy's suggestions. Highlands Ranch (HR) is a planned suburb (on C-470 not E-470, E-470 is a toll road which starts farther east). You will not find a horse ranch in it. Also most of the metro area hasn't done much for a sustainable energy plan. Denver has done made some progress and most of the suburbs follow but HR does not. During the drought a couple of years back when all of the metro was trying to curb water use HR was handing out tickets to people who didn't water their lawns enough.

Aspen is a three and a half hour drive from Denver and unless you are a millionaire you aren't going to be able to afford a house there. Conifer and Lookout Mountain are nice Mountain communities where a lot of people own horses but there is little to no sustainability plan.

The South Jeffco area along Bowles Ave does have some landowners who have not sold their horse property to the developers yet but you are going to have a tough time getting any of them to sell to you, and if you do it's going to be at a premium.

My suggestion would be to look at Boulder or areas near there. If you are in an area which is serviced by Xcel Energy you can buy alternative energy from them. As far as Water Conservation, this is the west, there isn't much water left. The big cities are working to conserve water (although Boulder has more water then other cities so I don't think they are as good at it as others). One thing I would be concerned about if I was buying horse property is that most of them are on wells, instead of using city water. Well water on the Front Range genrally comes from a huge underground water basin (which spans several states), but that basin is overused and shrinking. Adding more users to it is very unsustainable. You want to be on a city system because they will use water from the mountains.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:14 PM

944 posts, read 3,575,952 times
I'm a big fan of Grand Junction, although I can't say it's particularly progressive outside of the older downtown area. But that's changing according to the locals as the city gains in reputation and attracts more progressive thinkers from other places.

I live in Austin, TX, so I'm far too ignorant about CO to be posting here, just wanted to pitch in my 2 cents (more like dos centavos at best) about GJ, a town I could easily imagine living in.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:39 PM

7 posts, read 56,358 times
Hello, I live 30 minutes north of salida in chaffee county. Yes we are very backwoods here. US west cannot get us DSL for at least 10 years on my side of the river. I work in retail and my dh works for the state prison, we own horses and cattle. Most of this area are working class poor. Boulder or Grand Junction and Durango are excellent places to live and more affordable than here the avg rent is $500 to $1000 a month.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:17 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,619,473 times
Hey LLHOULE, what is Salida like? We are considering relocating there. Are there many jobs and what sustains it's economy? Thanks in advance, RP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or