Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 09:40 AM

178 posts, read 346,826 times

Advertisements

We're visiting the South Fork/Creede areas for a week August 8-13 and are hoping to find produce to cook with for the week. Driving from Denver to South Fork area on Monday and will be in a cabin. We'd love to do a lot of cooking while we are there. Any suggestions of where we might want to stop to shop? I'd prefer local folks to big chains if possible but understand it might not be. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 10:45 AM

486 posts, read 1,496,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considering View Post
We're visiting the South Fork/Creede areas for a week August 8-13 and are hoping to find produce to cook with for the week. Driving from Denver to South Fork area on Monday and will be in a cabin. We'd love to do a lot of cooking while we are there. Any suggestions of where we might want to stop to shop? I'd prefer local folks to big chains if possible but understand it might not be. Thanks!
There is a daily fruit & veggie roadside stand just to the east of Southfork - south side of hwy. The vendors are from Texas so the stuff is not actually locally grown. But they have a good selection.

The Rainbow grocery store is about the only other option for food shopping in South Fork, other than driving well over an hour east to hit a Walmart.

If you go down south to Pagosa Springs, they have a really nice farmer's market though not sure what day of the week it is lately.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:23 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,636 times
Wink Considering produce

I cannot tell you exactly, but can suggest some ideas.

If from Denver, you may wish to consider packaging well and bringing produce with you. Particularly those items which are not always common.

There are small grocery stores in Creede, South Fork, Del Norte and Monte Vista, which in general may provide a limited selection of indifferent produce. Not even close to Whole Foods. This assessment is based on part due my last visit to the Rainbow Grocery in South Fork. But South Fork has grown slightly upscale of late, so things may have improved somewhat. Creede has as well, so if in that area it would be worth checking out what the Kentucky Belle Market has. If headed east to shop then you could check, but may possibly bypass Del Norte and Monte Vista to head for Alamosa. Although Monte Vista does have a small Safeway market.

Alamosa would have the largest grocers and best chance to find that desired. I cannot be more specific, but it is the town everyone in the region will travel to if doing serious shopping.

If not wishing to always cook, some restaurants in the area can be good. I'm thinking of South Fork, but Creede might offer a pleasant surprise as well.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:02 PM

178 posts, read 346,826 times
These are both very helpful! We have all sort of diet dances in the group and are kind of obsessed with cooking so these planning tips are wonderful. We'll grab some things in Denver and keep these markets on the map while crossing our fingers for the farmers market.

I know little about Colorado agriculture, but is it common for food to be coming in from Texas?

Old 07-30-2011, 02:39 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
It appears that there is a Farmer's Market in South Fork South Fork Farmers Market here's a link to other markets in the state. Colorado Farmers Market Association Find a Market

Colorado has some great agriculture, Palisade Peaches, Olathe Corn, sweet little carrots from Paonia, blah, blah, blah. Not sure why they are trucking produce from Texas, there are certainly places closer to get good produce.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:27 PM

486 posts, read 1,496,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considering View Post
These are both very helpful! We have all sort of diet dances in the group and are kind of obsessed with cooking so these planning tips are wonderful. We'll grab some things in Denver and keep these markets on the map while crossing our fingers for the farmers market.

I know little about Colorado agriculture, but is it common for food to be coming in from Texas?
There is not very good growing season in & around South Fork. That's what the produce vender told us. There are also a lot of Texans in & around South Fork. Not sure why that is.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:30 PM

18,215 posts, read 25,850,946 times
There always has been. I've lived in this state my whole life. I worked a couple seasons in '68 and '69 for the San Juan Forest Service, was a road crew laborer. Though we were based out of Durango, we worked quite a bit around the Chimney Rock/Pagosa area replacing drainage culverts, replacing cattle guards, general road maintenance. I'd even help at times with trash removal. There have always been a surprising amount of people from Texas and some from Oklahoma and they live from South Fork to Pagosa to Durango and this goes back four decades. Regardless, I love the Del Norte/South Fork area. It doesn't get a lot of mention on the forum (might be a good thing!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado