U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 11:36 AM

9 posts, read 17,727 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

Thanks for having me here in the forum

I lived in CO some time ago (Denver, Arvada and Englewood). I had to leave in 2003 (boo) but am moving back to CO as soon as I can sell my house in horribly hot and humid Houston (YAY)!!!

Places change in 8 years, and that is why I am here today typing to y'all! Back in the day when I lived along the front range I always wanted to be able to have a place in the hills and one thing that has changed in 8 years is that due to dropping house prices there now I may actually be able to afford to live in Evergreen! LOL

But I've also been looking at the homes in Conifer and Bailey, etc and wow the price for some of them is amazing (especially since i'd like an acre or more)! I have 2 sons that are elementary and middle school age. I am self employed and my partner already has work lined up down the hill in the Denver area.

What I was wondering is if anyone has any opinions about choosing one of those area mountain communities over another (i.e. the pros and cons of bailey vs conifer vs evergreen vs ) ..

Thanks for any input!

Sweltering in Sugar Land ... (that is perspiration, not tears . well maybe some of both! I wanna come home!!! LOL)
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 11:37 AM

pardon - Kittredge

Old 08-03-2011, 12:22 PM

10,676 posts, read 28,486,584 times
where is work for your partner?

Personally, I have a hard time with making someone else miserable (to do the commute) in order to live my dream.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:39 PM

Very valid point .. first I will note he is actually quite excited about moving to CO, and especially into the foothills! (so are the kids

He is a plumber for a large company that services the entire front range between Ft. Collins and Castle Rock. He works around town on call as jobs come in. Good thing is that his company gives their guys a general local territory that is closer to their homes than not .. so for example since he lives in the foothills he won't be getting work calls in Aurora and if he's off S 285 they'll have him in Englewood, not Westminster .. So there is a bit of flexibility in choosing with regards to that. But yes, he has to be able to get to work and the kids have to be able to get to school .. no homes with a steep north facing driveway on top of Oh My God Road for us LOL

Old 08-03-2011, 12:49 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,834,746 times
Wink Greater mountain Denver

I'm not all that familiar with the area, but in recently having driven through it again can relate a few things.

One thing I definitely noticed was how two-lane, fairly lightly traveled, US 285 suddenly expanded in nearing Denver. From Fairplay one could easily imagine the country drive would remain as much all the way to the front range. But the volume of traffic begins to increase as one descends farther down the pass. At a certain point one finds themselves suddenly on a four-lane divided highway with a whole lot more traffic.

If memory serves, this transformation of US 285 occurred just before Bailey, with indications they intended to continue that expansion farther up the pass. I'm not exactly sure where this all changed, but it was apparent that a lot of people live in the region, and in a sense it could be considered mountainous greater Denver.

If contemplating a regular commute into Denver you may wish to take a close look at the map. In order Evergreen will be closest, with Conifer and Bailey just that much more removed. Although Evergreen will not share US 285 to the same extent. It could be at certain times that traveling between these mountain communities and Denver will not prove much fun. There are few options in or out other than US 285.

Something else I noticed, which may be a consideration, was the unfortunate unnatural plague of the mountain pine beetle in the area. If with other issues, southern Colorado seems remarkably free of this infestation. But from possibly Shawnee on I began to see the signs in dead and dying trees. Thus far this does not appear as severe as that experienced in Summit and Grand counties, and elsewhere. But one should understand that these beetles are rapidly spreading to the east side of the divide, and already as far as the edge of the plains. Something to consider if intending to make a home in such a place.

Overall it is easy to see why so many people have favored this area as home. Although it appears somewhat drier, with possibly less precipitation than other regions of Colorado. It is also one, in one way or another, which may experience a fair degree of change in the not too distant future.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:24 PM

Thank you for the input Idunn. Yeah, those dang beetles were not an issue when I last lived there .. it is another consideration to keep in mind. I plan on practicing permaculture and maybe by planting the correct trees and plants I can create a healthy native eco-system per se on my land that will avoid the beetle's wrath .. but I dunno for sure .. something to look into more for certain!

I was originally looking at Pueblo due to the fabulous cost of living but at the same time I wasn't really feeling it so much .. and then the kiddos took a drive to Pueblo with Grandma this summer (my mom lives in Arvada and the ex lives in Littleton) and they were not feeling it at all, so .. ok, scratch Pueblo .. too hot anyway Then I looked at CO Springs area but its foothill communities (i.e. Mannitou Springs) are more $$$ than the ones west of Denver.

Morrison looks nice .. but the homes don't come with much land .. More north is Lyons but once again the homes come with no land (at least not ones in my price range, which is not much ..)

I guess I want all worlds. I want to be able to commute, but live in the hills. Keep in mind with commuting .. I (and my partner) have been living in Houston - the land of the 18 lane highways (that are still jammed to a crawl with traffic hours each day) .. I had an outside sales job in Houston and would easily put 100 miles on my car per day and not even go all the way across Houston. Yet another reason I wanna get outta here! LOL

So neither of us is afraid of a commute as ANY commute will be better than what we experience here, but I'm also not about to trade one bad commute for another if it can be avoided through a little smart planning and foresight! At least the scenery is MUCH prettier in a CO mountain traffic jam than one in Houston! LOL

Old 08-03-2011, 01:26 PM

I guess at least in Evergreen you have 2 ways out and into Denver ..

Old 08-03-2011, 01:55 PM

168 posts, read 323,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisziggy View Post
no homes with a steep north facing driveway on top of Oh My God Road for us LOL
LOL, spoken like a true local, LOL.....

I was going to suggest picking the location with more than one way out, which you have figured out I see .....that way your partner may not get stranded out of the job of the day....

My only other suggestion would be to pick the "town in the middle" of your choices, rent the first year and check out the other towns in the meantime.....real estate may be even cheaper next year, too.....

Old 08-03-2011, 03:18 PM

2,533 posts, read 5,816,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegirll View Post
. . . pick the "town in the middle" of your choices, rent the first year . . .
Best advice you'll ever get.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:27 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisziggy View Post
Hi folks,

Thanks for having me here in the forum

I lived in CO some time ago (Denver, Arvada and Englewood). I had to leave in 2003 (boo) but am moving back to CO as soon as I can sell my house in horribly hot and humid Houston (YAY)!!!
I've been recommending the mountain areas directly west of Littleton (these areas are actually considered part of Littleton), simply because it's really beautiful up there. You get mountain living while 10-20 minutes from Littleton.

Last year, acreage prices up there were $200k/acre. Don't know what current prices are, wouldn't be surprised if it is the same.

Of course Evergreen is beautiful too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or