U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better to you?
Pueblo 11 42.31%
Grand Junction 15 57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 08:48 PM

5,441 posts, read 8,151,472 times

Advertisements

Which one do you think wins out as far as....

Criteria:
Public Transit:
Downtown Area:
Nightlife:
Suburbs:
Education:
Scenery:
Cost of Living:
Climate:
Is there Traffic:
Econemy:
Nightlife:
Which seems more like a CO city:
Overall pick:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 09:17 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,421,861 times
I think they're pretty much a dead heat on many things... except for "nicer people"?

I live in the Pueblo area and I can vouch for me as far as being nice. So Pueblo gets my vote.

Can we close the poll now?

Old 08-05-2011, 11:59 PM

12,180 posts, read 21,022,448 times
Grand Junction is still a town while Pueblo is a city with city amentias. Maybe that will change as Grand Junction grows but so far it has not. I will go down the list with my thoughts.

Public Transit:

I do not know enough about Grand Junction's mass transit to compare the two.

Downtown Area:

This was goes to Pueblo as it has a large city feel and has a lot planned with the Riverwalk/ convention center and performing arts centers that are all being upgraded/ expanded.

Nightlife:

I don't know enough about Grand Junction's night life to comment.

Suburbs:

Grand Junction has more people living in its suburbs then Pueblo does. Personally I don't think that is a good thing.

Education:

Both cities have universities. Grand Junction has Colorado Mesa University and Pueblo has Colorado State University - Pueblo. In time I think the advantage will go to CSU P as it has the power and money of the Colorado State system behind it.

Scenery:

Both have their own beauty.

Grand Junction is isolated while Pueblo is part of the Front Range Urban Corridor.

Nicer People:

I hear both cities have nice people.

Cost of Living:

Pueblo is more affordable.

Climate:

About the same.

Is there Traffic:

No traffic.

Economy:

Due to the recession I think both cities are struggling now.

Which seems more like a CO city:

Both.

Pueblo, also, has better restaurants, festivals and fairs.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:31 AM

10,678 posts, read 11,087,576 times
I am much more familiar with Pueblo than Grand Junction. What I can say about Grand Junction is that it is growing at a faster rate than is Pueblo and is the largest city in Colorado NOT on the Front Range. I think it has as much potential as Pueblo. It is in a fantastic location with Colorado National Monument overlooking the town.

Pueblo is more "on the beaten path" than is Grand Junction. Depending on who you are, that can be a good thing or a bad thing. Being closer to Denver and Colorado Springs means that Pueblo has better access to big city amenities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Grand Junction is still a town while Pueblo is a city with city amentias. Maybe that will change as Grand Junction grows but so far it has not. I will go down the list with my thoughts.
This is a matter of perspective. I consider Pueblo a town as well. I think Grand Junction is the closest comparable city in the state. Both are roughly the same size MSA with Pueblo being slightly larger, but Grand Junction on pace to pass it if the past decade's trends continue. When it comes to MSAs of 200,000 or fewer residents, I think the definitions can be subjective. Right now I live in Monterey, CA which has about 30,000 and it is more of a "city" than either of these two. It's not just size, it's layout, amenities, reputation, identity, etc...

Pueblo does have a more defined downtown, the benefit of becoming a larger town earlier than Grand Junction. The river walk is a commendable project that has really cleaned up what was once a really ugly area.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post

This is a matter of perspective. I consider Pueblo a town as well. I think Grand Junction is the closest comparable city in the state. Both are roughly the same size MSA with Pueblo being slightly larger, but Grand Junction on pace to pass it if the past decade's trends continue. When it comes to MSAs of 200,000 or fewer residents, I think the definitions can be subjective. Right now I live in Monterey, CA which has about 30,000 and it is more of a "city" than either of these two. It's not just size, it's layout, amenities, reputation, identity, etc...

Pueblo does have a more defined downtown, the benefit of becoming a larger town earlier than Grand Junction. The river walk is a commendable project that has really cleaned up what was once a really ugly area.
My point was Pueblo has more "large" city amentias then Grand Junction does. We have more and larger festivals, restaurants and are known to have better food (at least from what I hear), better performing art centers, larger event centers, more and larger convention space and our university has larger facilities and I think will be more known as time goes on. As far as population. Pueblo stagnated for the past 20 years so most cities that grew at all caught up but now regional planners say Pueblo is going to grow again so that will change.

Last edited by Josseppie; 08-06-2011 at 08:55 AM..

Old 08-06-2011, 08:47 AM

10,678 posts, read 11,087,576 times
I never really answered the question.

Right now I would vote for Pueblo. It will probably always have a slight advantage over Grand Junction but only because of its proximity to Denver and Colorado Springs. Unless Grand Junction eventually grows to be so much larger that it graduates to a higher tier than Pueblo and cannot be ignored. I think this will happen.

I am going to hazard a guess that Grand Junction will either (A) surpass Pueblo in MSA population this decade, or (B) will reach 200,000 before Pueblo does, or (C) both. Right now the count is Pueblo: 159,000 (up from 141,000) and Grand Junction: 146,000 (up from 116,000). Grand Junction would have to offset Pueblo's advantages by simply outgrowing Pueblo, then being smart about how that growth is handled. It is already a fairly nice town with a lot going for it. If they grow smartly, it has the potential to really stand out more so than Pueblo due to its isolated location.

But despite all the speculation, if all I had to go off of was a current snap shot, I'd be inclined to give Pueblo the edge.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:04 PM

5,441 posts, read 8,151,472 times
Which is more family oriented.?

Old 08-06-2011, 03:14 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,421,861 times
CoSprings.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Which is more family oriented.?
I don't know enough about GJ to comment but I can say Pueblo is very family friendly.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:54 AM

840 posts, read 2,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I don't know enough about GJ to comment but I can say Pueblo is very family friendly.
Yeah, Pueblo is a great place to raise a family. Rural Pueblo county is even better....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado