U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 07:22 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,169,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini614 View Post
All comments appreciated.
To livecontent: I am very aware that the pay is not the same nor close to it. Actually, I am looking at the Broadmoor for the sheer fact that of its Mobil and AAA ratings. I come from that level of service. My daughter graduated from the CIA 2002. Pastry Arts. Still even in NYC the pay is attrocious at some of the top restaurants for the hours put in.
Not sure if the Vail-Eagle location will work out until I come out for a visit soon. Need to be near everyday amenities without having to drive 20 or 30 mins for a decent grocery store, and want to buy a house at some point. What's the consensus between CS, Boulder or Denver area? Broad question I realize, but for a "young" 40 something married couple, all kids out of the house and gainfully employed and who enjoy the outdoors and very active lifestyle (minus skiing) AND getting their feet grounded in a new locale and adjusting to a "lower gear" lifestyle wise what could you advise?
Denver is in a big transition in the hotel and restaurant industry. It is definitely moving to another level with the opening of many new hotels and especially small boutique hotels. In addition with the movement of rich professional to downtown, there is a greater increase in the quality and variety of the restaurants. I believe Denver is the place for you. It has better housing values and you will be near the growth of these quality establishments and if you do it right, you will be the man in demand. Denver is really moving fast to an sophisticated urban metropolis and you can make it happen. With the Democratic Convention happening here, the exposure will set the sparks to make things really happen.

Colorado Springs, I do not see the increase in quality of lodging or restaurants.
It is a big military town and this does not necessarily lead to the customers that these better quality hotels and restaurants need. It does not have the phenomenal growth as Denver has today. Broadmoor may be an exception because at that time Colorado Springs was a semi-remote destination of the super rich which the hotel was built to satisfy. It is not that now. However I learned that it is best not to be a saddle maker in a one horse town. Housing can be reasonable.

Boulder has some small quality restaurants, some boutique hotels but I see it is limited by lack of spending power and sophistication of the student environment. In addition wages are extremely low, using student help. I was the Executive Chef of the Largest Hotel in Boulder many years ago and I just do not see a change in better salaries that can be paid by high priced quality establishments. Housing costs are atrocious for this area.

I am now retired and I was never satisfied with the compensation, considering the hours that was necessary. What your daughter is experiencing in NYC is disheartening to me---because as they say about "The City"--- "if it doesn't happen here, it doesn't happen anywhere".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,829 times
I'm from Queens NY and I seriously recommend moving to the Denver area. Be patient and give yourself time to adjust to the changes. The older you are the harder to adjust.NY was good as a kid, I wasen't paying the bills. Now the quality of life just stinks. I won't put up with that nonsense anymore. Everything you need is here in Denver, so don't worry about that. You'll have plenty of friends from NY coming to visit, so they can bring you a goodie bag if needed. Good to have you and best of luck!

Old 10-02-2009, 01:52 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,804,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfromnewyork View Post
I'm from Queens NY and I seriously recommend moving to the Denver area. Be patient and give yourself time to adjust to the changes. The older you are the harder to adjust.NY was good as a kid, I wasen't paying the bills. Now the quality of life just stinks. I won't put up with that nonsense anymore. Everything you need is here in Denver, so don't worry about that. You'll have plenty of friends from NY coming to visit, so they can bring you a goodie bag if needed. Good to have you and best of luck!
Billy, thanks for finding an old thread to re-cycle, that's makes my day a mod on this site.

We've been to Manhattan as visitors and loved it, a deli on every corner, walk to most everything, good shows all over the place, the food in the Oyster Bar at Grand Central Station, transit, the list goes on and on....

A goody bag from NYC would be a real treat.....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:02 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,905,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini614 View Post
Like many others I've read about, my husband and I (both still feel like kids in our mid-40's) are ready to make a change for a less stressful and more healthful life.
You could move anywhere away from NYC and be less stressful! Anyway, yeah colorado is laid back compared to most of the U.S.

Quote:
1. Is moving to Colorado in the fall a smart choice and how late in the season but before the snow, could we wait to make the move?
Why not? Shouldn't be a problem unless you hit a blizzard.

Quote:
I guess, I'm still tied to the fact that we both make great money here and our high season will be upon us starting in October. While the $$$$ is good, the stress
That's why people move to and stay in NYC, and then becomes the reason they want to leave, isn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or