U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2007, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 17,169 times

Advertisements

This is my first time posting on City-Data. I've been reading the postings for about a month and have read some really good, and very detailed replies, so here goes...

Like many others I've read about, my husband and I (both still feel like kids in our mid-40's) are ready to make a change for a less stressful and more healthful life. Our plan is to move to Colorado in the next couple of months, while still not set on a particular area; interested in Boulder, Colorado Springs or Denver (area). We're both in the hospitality (hotels and restaurants).
I am really stuck on timing of the move and location to move to. We plan to rent a house first then buy later when we feel we've settled in.

1. Is moving to Colorado in the fall a smart choice and how late in the season but before the snow, could we wait to make the move?

I guess, I'm still tied to the fact that we both make great money here and our high season will be upon us starting in October. While the $$$$ is good, the stress that comes from earning it has finally pushed us to make a decision to move, still I need some honest opinions from you all as support.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 01:09 PM

84,957 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini614 View Post
This is my first time posting on City-Data. I've been reading the postings for about a month and have read some really good, and very detailed replies, so here goes...

Like many others I've read about, my husband and I (both still feel like kids in our mid-40's) are ready to make a change for a less stressful and more healthful life. Our plan is to move to Colorado in the next couple of months, while still not set on a particular area; interested in Boulder, Colorado Springs or Denver (area). We're both in the hospitality (hotels and restaurants).
I am really stuck on timing of the move and location to move to. We plan to rent a house first then buy later when we feel we've settled in.

1. Is moving to Colorado in the fall a smart choice and how late in the season but before the snow, could we wait to make the move?

I guess, I'm still tied to the fact that we both make great money here and our high season will be upon us starting in October. While the $$$$ is good, the stress that comes from earning it has finally pushed us to make a decision to move, still I need some honest opinions from you all as support.

The first snow in metro Denver (includes Boulder, COS is a little different) can come anytime from early Sept to early Nov. The fall snows are usually not a big deal, generally gone in a day, two at the most. You could probably wait till December to move if fall is your busy season. There is plenty of warm, sunny weather all fall and winter as well. It's sort of a "luck of the draw" thing if it's going to snow on the day you decide to move.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:07 PM

10,676 posts, read 28,486,584 times
The Broadmoor is considered the crown jewel of Colorado hotels.

Then again ski season brings many to the high country.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:14 PM

226 posts, read 1,111,159 times
i would move before november.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:25 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,511,378 times
I think Fall (late Aug to mid October) is the nicest time of year in Colorado. Crisp, cool, refreshing weather with lots of sun. It is true that theoretically we could get snowfall in September (and have had), the "first major snowstorm" usually occurs around Halloween or shortly before. The Halloween storm is usually a doozy, but it will melt very quickly, and usually first half of November is still nice as fall makes a brief return. I'd be out here by Thanksgiving at the latest if you're trying to avoid snow, though, as that time frame usually brings another bout of unsettled weather with heavy snow possible.

That being said, I wouldn't be too concerned about snow. It's true that you could be unlucky enough to arrive in the midst of a record blizzard like last year's Holiday Blizzard. But those events are relatively infrequent. I wouldn't mind taking my chances, and in my view mid-winter might even be safer than the February/March timeframe, where we are famous for stormy weather.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:11 PM

Thanks all for the thoughts. Actually, I just got a great call today for a job offer in the Eagle-Vail area with the hotel company I currently work for. A bit nervous about finding a home to rent until we get settled and see where we really want to plant our feet. Been checking Craiglist till there's nothing else to see for now. Going out there in September to look around and make my final decision about the job. Any thoughts on housing that is NOT a condo or apartment. Need some space and a yard for sure!

Old 08-13-2007, 08:31 PM

84,957 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Good luck. I was going to say I agree with tfox, just wanted to add that caveat about Sept. In the mtns, it can snow any month of the yr. Have seen snow in all the summer months (not much). Even in the mts, it doesn't snow a lot before December.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:45 AM

5,091 posts, read 13,163,320 times
Default Salary and Wages are Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini614 View Post

I would say to you, do not expect the pay to be near or anyway comparable as the pay in NYC. This, by far, is a non-union state, in the hospitality industry and is known to hire cheaper labor. If you are management then the salaries are definitely not anywhere near NYC.

The level and the quality of hotels and restaurants are not on par to those in New York (but what is?), maybe because of the lower wages and/or maybe because there is not the demand for the grand level of cuisine and accommodations. However, the condition is changing in Denver as it becomes more of a major city but I believe that the pay in Boulder and Colorado Springs is less than Denver. As far as the Broadmoor, I was never impressed by their compensation, considering the reputation.

Some of the restaurants and hotels in the areas of Vail and Aspen are of a high quality because of a rich clientele but the expense of living there is not compensated by what I believe to be still bad wages.

I am speaking as a former New Yorker and a CIA, Hyde Park grad with almost 30 years in Colorado.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:04 AM

139 posts, read 559,092 times
I have friends that moved from NYC and San Francisco to Colorado. They all love it. They live just a few minutes outside of Denver. Of course they say it does not compare to NY or San Fran, they like being in the burbs but close to Denver (they are also in their 40's...one couple has no children, one couple has one child). They say the fall is beautiful there and winters are cold but worth it. Have fun and good luck with everything.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:26 PM

All comments appreciated.
To livecontent: I am very aware that the pay is not the same nor close to it. Actually, I am looking at the Broadmoor for the sheer fact that of its Mobil and AAA ratings. I come from that level of service. My daughter graduated from the CIA 2002. Pastry Arts. Still even in NYC the pay is attrocious at some of the top restaurants for the hours put in.
Not sure if the Vail-Eagle location will work out until I come out for a visit soon. Need to be near everyday amenities without having to drive 20 or 30 mins for a decent grocery store, and want to buy a house at some point. What's the consensus between CS, Boulder or Denver area? Broad question I realize, but for a "young" 40 something married couple, all kids out of the house and gainfully employed and who enjoy the outdoors and very active lifestyle (minus skiing) AND getting their feet grounded in a new locale and adjusting to a "lower gear" lifestyle wise what could you advise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or