Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 01:13 PM

7 posts, read 24,495 times

Advertisements

I am planning a very special picnic for two in Poudre River Canyon. I have never been in that area. I have read that there are many places to picnic in the area. Does anyone have a particular place that they thought was real nice, a little private tht is near the river? Any suggestions would help.
Also if you can give me an idea where I might find more information about the Canyon, the river, Poudre park or the area let me know...Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 01:35 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,467,952 times
This is probably the best overall guide on Poudre Canyon. Amazon.com: Cache LA Poudre: The Natural History of a Rocky Mountain River (9780870813016):… There are some nice spots throughout the canyon, but do not expect to have them by yourself, especially on a weekend. It's just too close to the Front Range metro "blob." I especially like the area around Rustic.

As to the canyon, it is gorgeous in early summer when the grass is still green. Unfortunately, quite often the grass "browns up" in the lower part of the canyon by mid-July or earlier and often will stay that way for the rest of the summer. The fire danger, of course, grows, too.

As a side note, I consider the Poudre one of Colorado's prettiest canyons, but it took years of dedicated efforts to keep the Front Range metro water buffaloes from building a dam that would have inundated much of the canyon. So, be thankful for what you see, and realize that there are numerous other canyons and wetlands in Colorado that those water-thieving thugs have their eyes on to dam up and divert. All so those metro residents can keep watering those non-natural bluegrass lawns.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:26 PM
qsr

47 posts, read 104,518 times
I love my community, but looking around at all of the green grass makes me want to throw up. We're damming up our canyons and stealing water from the West so we can have lush grass. I don't mind a small amount here and there, but most of the yard should be Xeriscaped to keep water usage low.

As for Poudre Canyon--it's generally very busy. The further up you go the less crowded it is, and possibly more scenic. This is a very nice time of the year to visit. If you really want seclusion, try North Park.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsr View Post
I love my community, but looking around at all of the green grass makes me want to throw up. We're damming up our canyons and stealing water from the West so we can have lush grass. I don't mind a small amount here and there, but most of the yard should be Xeriscaped to keep water usage low.

As for Poudre Canyon--it's generally very busy. The further up you go the less crowded it is, and possibly more scenic. This is a very nice time of the year to visit. If you really want seclusion, try North Park.

Wha??? This year, the fields are green from rain. I love looking out over the Boulder Valley from the top of McCaslin Blvd when I go to work. Usually by late June, it's brown.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:26 AM

7 posts, read 24,495 times
Okay...I didn't mean start up another topic. I was trying to picture an actual water buffalo in Colorado and how did it get here? And how does this actual water buffalo build a damn? Do they do it like a beaver?? Sorry, I live south in Colorado and only have been here for 2 years so I don't know yet all the things that go on here..I will appriciate the canyon more now that I know what is going on.
Back to my Picnic question. We plan to go there in September during the week. I ws hoping by then it would be more quiet since the kids would be in school. Could you tell me if the leaves will be changing colors by then?

Old 06-29-2010, 11:57 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,687,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylac6500 View Post
Okay...I didn't mean start up another topic. I was trying to picture an actual water buffalo in Colorado and how did it get here? And how does this actual water buffalo build a damn? Do they do it like a beaver?? Sorry, I live south in Colorado and only have been here for 2 years so I don't know yet all the things that go on here..I will appriciate the canyon more now that I know what is going on.
Back to my Picnic question. We plan to go there in September during the week. I ws hoping by then it would be more quiet since the kids would be in school. Could you tell me if the leaves will be changing colors by then?
It depends on when in September you will be going, but you should start seeing some change in the leaves. There are several fall color reports on the internet so you might do a little search to see what you can come up with. You can also contact the Forest Service office in Fort Collins in September and ask them if the leaves are changing. It varies from year to year and if Colorado gets an early snow or hard frost, they may not change at all. It should be beautiful and much less crowded at that time though.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 7,160 times
So, those pesky blog trolls invaded your information request. Let's try to help you.
There are several beautiful places starting from the bottom (Seaman Reservoir and Gateway Park) to the top (Chambers Lake, Cameron Pass and Long Draw). Much moose activity at the top, especially at sunset. Personally we like Mountain Park campground/picnic area. The entire area is gorgeous and green due to excess water this summer. Long Draw is actually on the north side of Rocky Mountain National Park, spectacular- but a bit of a drive.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:17 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,257 times
Wink Cache la Poudre & elsewhere

In my limited experience with the Cache la Poudre River Canyon, it may not afford a tranquil picnic.

Beautiful enough, but so are other canyons, such as that of the Big Thompson River, between Loveland and Estes Park. If to a lesser extent come September, you may still find the more popular places in the lower canyon of the Cache la Poudre populated, especially on weekends. But the biggest drawback I can think of are the roads paralleling these rivers; unless you are deaf do not expect much peace and quiet.

Obviously from Fort Collins the Cache la Poudre River has the benefit of proximity. But it may still entail something of a drive, unless willing to settle for a spot in the lower reaches of the canyon. If willing to drive, your options open up. One possible place, if still along the road, would be the canyon of the St. Vrain River, between Lyons and near Allenspark. Especially in the lower reaches of this canyon it is quite scenic, with the added benefit of possibly less auto traffic then you'll see along the Poudre River. There are also a number of good places to pull off and picnic, even if not dedicated as such.

But the better bet, if this is really a special occasion, would be to head farther upriver, where the roads do not exist and you'll be guaranteed a beautiful picnic in all respects. Rocky Mountain National Park is the headwaters for any number of lovely rivers. It might be noted that if unfortunately now compromised and not wild, that the Cache la Poudre River still contains a lot of the water from this Park, which is diverted into it from the Colorado River watershed. Anyway, just head up into the Park and without much trouble one can find a lovely mountain river, no cars and, without too much trouble, no other people as well.

The St. Vrain River serves as a good case in point. Its upper reaches, and all within the Park, are entirely wild. It is also one of the most beautiful rivers one is likely to ever see. One of the best ways to visit it is to enter the southeast quadrant of the Park at the Wild Basin entrance station. That would be just off CO 7, a short distance north of Allenspark. Expect to pay the Park entrance fee, then a drive of roughly three miles on an okay dirt road to the trailhead. It is even possible in that distance to pull off at a number of places, as some do for picnics and what not, but if remaining close to the car then also a dusty road. This road more or less parallels the river, which is technically North St. Vrain Creek. Only a 'creek' with more clean water rushing down its course than many so-called rivers. At the trailhead there is a place to park, and then a foot trail leading on west along the river. Except on the busiest weekends in-season, it should be possible to find a parking spot. This also clue and suggestion that if at all possible such journeys should be mid-week, unless society is welcome. From the trailhead one could of course walk far into the Park, but even though the river is often visible from the trail, one would not have to travel that far to find some secluded place where the trail and its inhabitants are at a distance and out of sight, and you right next the lovely river.

If that sounds too ambitious, which it really is not, then as well possible to find oneself near a beautiful river, with dedicated picnic table, fire pit, and all. One such spot would be the picnic area at the far end of the Endo Valley in RMNP. It would be most directly reached via Estes Park and then the north entrance station of RMNP. Shortly after the entrance station one will climb up to enter the Endo Valley. At the junction with the Old Fall River Road, turn to continue west through the valley, past the parking areas and site of the alluvial flood, and on to the gate and fork in the road, with the original Fall River Road forking right to climb up the hill as a one-way dirt road. Just veer left, still on pavement, and just as soon one will be on the loop and dead end which a series of enchanting picnic spots. There are more than a few good choices to choose from. Possibly all full on the busiest weekends in-season, but probably much less of an issue in September. Those spots on the far side of the loop are but a short walk to the lovely Fall River.

Additionally, one could continue up the one-way course of the Old Fall River Road until its junction with US 34, nine miles distant at the Alpine Visitors Center. There would be no dedicated picnic spots, but certainly good opportunities along its length to be next the river, as it does not always parallel the road at a close distance. But, even if choosing some more domesticated picnic spot, but feet from one's own auto, at least the traffic halfway sedate, slow and quiet. Not some semblance of a racetrack that these other canyons can unfortunately be.

Something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado