U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:07 PM

778 posts, read 1,436,813 times

Advertisements

We're thinking about buying a 1 BR condo for personal use (not rental) within a reasonable drive (1-2 hours) of Denver. Been to Breck several times. Never been to Winter Park, though I've heard good things about it. Comments or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 09:55 PM

8,670 posts, read 19,322,178 times
Copper is our favorite.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:29 PM

23 posts, read 106,371 times
You should only buy a ski condo if you can go at a time that is not Friday evening - Sunday evening. We have one and driving from Denver via I-70 gets OLD after a season or two -- so scary driving along I-70 in road rage traffic. Move to where you want to play or find a new sport close to where you do live is my advice.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:22 AM

8,322 posts, read 22,498,133 times
a few considerations ...

is this going to be just a one-season (ski) use? or do you want year 'round local activities? what are those other activities and how accessible are they to your location?

will the frequency and duration of your stays justify the acquisition cost compared to using a hotel/motel or rental condo?

how much on-site management do you want? many condo's will be targeted to owner/rental use, and the management fees, maintenance, and services may be a lot more than commensurate with your personal use. also, you should be aware of the general nature of a condo buildings' use ... some are "party central" for frequent turn-over short term rental, some are more mellow with owners staying there, etc ... it may make a difference in your quiet enjoyment of the property.

how important is ready access to shopping, restaurants, and other amenities for your use?

will having close access to the ski facilities be important?

will having the ability to park your car and depend upon local bus service during your stay be important?

do you have a preference as to the ski facilities?

and, most important ... how much do you want to spend? there's huge differences in the available quality/locations in the marketplace.

my vote is for Vail ... but my weekend only use was years ago before the I-70traffic got as bad as it is now. These days, I am able to go up mid-week and come back down the hill either on Saturday or during the week, counter to the heavy traffic flow.

The weekend I-70 prevailing heavy traffic affects all of the ski resort areas to head up into the mountains, so factor that into any place you choose.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:34 AM

778 posts, read 1,436,813 times
Lots of good questions, sunspirit.

We currently live in the East, but plan to move to Denver in a couple of years. A ski condo is in the plans (thinking 200K, but flexible either way, depending on the market) and may even buy that before buying in Denver. Would definitely use the place in summer, especially when it's as hot as this summer has been. I would like a place that has shopping, restaurants, etc., but not necessarily on a grand scale like Vail, or on a no-scale, like Copper. Would need a place for a car, but wouldn't mind taking the local shuttles while there.

2bindenver - I like Copper, too. Went there a bunch of times when Club Med was there. However, there's really nothing at Copper.

Sally - this will primarily be a weekday thing. I will be (semi?) retired, so am flexible. What I envision is leaving Monday morning (from Denver area) staying overnight. Skiing Mon and Tues. Coming back to Denver Tuesday evening. Going back Thursday for a day or two, etc.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:41 AM

2,755 posts, read 8,688,003 times
How important is it to have ski-in/ski-out? If it's not essential, you might consider Frisco. It's at the center of Summit County, and actually has a fairly large community of permanent residents as well as second home buyers that actually use their places year round. It's fairly central -- 10-15 minute bus ride from Copper, a little more to Breckenridge. Keystone, A-Basin, Loveland, or Vail are all within about 30-40 minute car drive away.

Of course, Frisco wouldn't be as convenient as one right at the resort during the ski season, but I think you'd enjoy the town more outside of ski season (it doesn't have that "dead" look that the resort will). And, it gives you a lot of options of different resorts to choose from in season.

If you actually want to live near the slopes and don't mind committing to one resort, Breckenridge is probably a reasonable choice. Nice town, decent (but not spectacular) skiing, and maybe in your price range. Vail, of course, would be better, but you won't find a place anywhere near 200k in Vail. Prices are crazy over there.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:47 PM

51 posts, read 159,837 times
Winter Park/Fraser/Tabernash

Lots of winter and summer activities, near Grand Lake, and you can take the train up the mountain. Perfect.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:24 PM

169 posts, read 709,299 times
For ski season only - Breck

For all year use - Frisco

Old 08-14-2007, 09:44 PM

8,670 posts, read 19,322,178 times
Consider Keystone.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:26 AM

739 posts, read 2,094,322 times
I"d say winter park/fraser/granby... still more affordable than Vail- which is practically outrageous and getting more so by the day- and you still have plenty of all season activities. You could also consider Steamboat- but would be too far. Both of them get you out of some of the I-70 traffic. I think you'll see good appreciation in the future w/ both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado