U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:36 PM

106 posts, read 391,249 times

Advertisements

Yes, Charter schools generally have a waiting list, and a lottery system. I believe though that depending on the school they may give preference to special need kids if they have a program in place, and not enough kids.

We were lucky enough that our daughter was already in the school, and that sibling's are given preferential placement. It was also nice that the newly hired Special Ed teacher took time to go to our childs school (last year) and observe him in the class, and talk with the other teachers.

Like I said, the charter schools seem to attract the best of the best in our area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 05:11 AM

3 posts, read 13,996 times
Default District 20 and Autism

I originally moved to Springs in 2000 with an HF-PDD son and selected the D20 area because it had the "best" schools. It has the best schools if you have a typical child, not a special needs. The district is very focused on high standards and getting the best CSAP scores, and believe me if they think your child will drag down their scores they will try like hell to keep them from taking the tests.

District 11 has the reputation for being the 'big city' school district with the bulk of the city's students and having a much more diverse population. However from everyone I'd spoken to after I moved there, D11 was much better equipped to handle atypical children.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:11 PM

84,959 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogidu View Post
I originally moved to Springs in 2000 with an HF-PDD son and selected the D20 area because it had the "best" schools. It has the best schools if you have a typical child, not a special needs. The district is very focused on high standards and getting the best CSAP scores, and believe me if they think your child will drag down their scores they will try like hell to keep them from taking the tests.

District 11 has the reputation for being the 'big city' school district with the bulk of the city's students and having a much more diverse population. However from everyone I'd spoken to after I moved there, D11 was much better equipped to handle atypical children.
Your experience shows why the "best" schools on paper are not always the best schools for your particular child. Many of these "best" schools cater to the over-achievers. These are the kinds of kids many (not all, mind you) teachers like to teach.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:56 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,167,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaworley View Post
If you are considering coming to Colorado springs with your autistic child plese think twice. Colorado is rated 48 out of 50 states for help for autistic children the services are very behind. I was extremely disappointed in the services out here coming from california. IT should of been a clue to me when you'd email school districts and get little to no info on the help for autistic children. WE had a big fight with district 11 with our (Iep). It can with a lot of fighting and tears on my side. Now I'm a little happier but not completely. THe teacher told us she didn't understand autism and to me that was a big red flag so I have settle with the only reason why my son is in the preschool system in district 11 is for social skills and to be around other kids. And don't believe what you here parents (DISTRICT 20) IS NOT THE BEST WHEN IT COMES TO HELPING AUTISTIC KIDS . THEY ONLY HAVE 2 SCHOOLS WITH PROGRAMS FOR AUTISTIC KIDS AND IF YOUR CHILD CAN'T GET IN THEY CAN'T GET IN. (NICE) IF you don't have a choice and have to move here district 11 is a little bit better but not up to the standards of other states. AS far as therapies for autistic children if you come to colorado springs not much is out here 2 places for help. And if you go to the RESOURCE EXXCHANGE be prepared to get little to no help for them they have been horrible. They never return phone calls until you get angry and force them too. So PARENTS beware STAY OUT OF COLORADO IF YOU HAVE AN AUTISTIC CHILD from what I here New york is the best oklahoma and california. BUt you may want to research that a little more just to be on the safe side. All I can say is that the School district and the state of Colroado should be ashamed of them selves for the LIttle help they give Autistic children out here it's JUST NOT RIGHT
I have heard this. Although I hate texas with a passion (due to five horrible months in Austin), I know that they have some of the best programs in the USA. Good luck....your life is hard enough, I think I agree that you should stay out of Colorado. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:22 PM

23 posts, read 112,541 times
[mod cut] I moved to Trinidad Colorado october 2000. I have a severe autistic son. He is nonverbal. The local school district here was stripping my son naked looking for child abuse. They even would loose him throughout the year. In 2006, I moved to pueblo west school district 70. They put him in [mod cut] autism pilot program. Soon after october 1st funding, I was falsely accused of child sexual abuse. Child protective services cleared me but [mod cut] refused. I called [mod cut] trying to get my son out of the autism pilot program and he refused. I ended up just pulling him out of school indefinately.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-12-2009 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: Shouldn't be naming names.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:05 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,212,562 times
I don't know Asburger's specifically but Denver Academy and one other private psychiatric school off wadsworth blvd and route 285 in Lakewood are the only decent facilities I know of for any type of special education in the Denver area. I agree with the poster that says: think twice, especially if your child can be expected to be an adult that is seriously disabled enough to be on SSI or not work a regular job, it will be a lifetime of frustration.

Mother of a multiply handicapped adult, who has lived in Colorado most of her life.

Last edited by esya; 03-02-2008 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-04-2008, 11:57 AM

24 posts, read 86,406 times
I moved from New Jersey to Colorado. NJ offers one of the best education programs for kids with special needs. But you do pay 4X property tax there. Traditionally, Coloradoans have not been enthusiatic in paying for education. But they were happy to pay for new stadiums for the professional sports.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:55 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,167,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhorse View Post
I moved from New Jersey to Colorado. NJ offers one of the best education programs for kids with special needs. But you do pay 4X property tax there. Traditionally, Coloradoans have not been enthusiatic in paying for education. But they were happy to pay for new stadiums for the professional sports.
and the jokes on Colorado, the team sucks. LOL. We just left colorado because the schools were so bad that I felt I was dumbing my kid down by sending him there.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,377 times
Default Autism School Program

District 11 Charter School is not trained in autism. My son going to this school was always sent home because of them not being able to control him and assistants showed a lot of frustration, which did not help my son. Moving out to district 49 just in the last two weeks of school was a blessing. He has showed improvement. Remington Elementary has had their program for two years and all the assistants in the special education department are trained and are a joy to work with! They stated they never send a child home and they keep the child in the regular classroom 90% of the time. I am looking forward to the new school year!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,222 times
Default want to help

Try looking at alpine austism center it is a private school in colorado springs #719-955-3767 I have been trained as a shadow out of NO CAL.I also have a grandaughter who has special needs and I have to say CO is a bit behind in understanding special needs children. I started a day care that provided transportation to and from the therapy appts she would have. I've even gone back to school to provide a day care and respite for children needing extra help I hope to get hired at alpine after I graduate in May you can contact me at [EMAIL="Gagee58@yahoo.com"]Gagee58@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or