U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 09:33 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,213,046 times

Advertisements

Colorado voted down ALL taxes bills on the ballot statewide, including one to fund services for the disabled. I had a child with multiple handicaps in both Denver schools and in District 20 in Colo springs. District 20 had great pre-school, fairly good first grade. Denver programs for special needs were poor all round from 5th grade to graduation in quality but they are cooperative and will place kids where the parents want however useless. However, there is a private school in Denver, Denver Academy, that I would recommend calling. There is also a private school over near Federal and route 285 that is for kids with mental disabilities that I would call. Jefferson county public schools used to have a special needs elementary that serviced a large number of kids and I might check with them as well. Good luck. The newer suburban schools with the good reps are all about white flight and very little substance. In my opinion what's wrong with the schools is the state board of education and the funding mechanisms, not fixable.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,168 times
This school is designed for kids with special needs...
The Joshua School
2303 E. Dartmouth Ave.
Englewood, CO 80113
Phone: 303.758.7171
Fax: 303.758.9044

E-mail: [EMAIL="thejoshuaschool@yahoo.com"]thejoshuaschool@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]

Old 06-12-2009, 07:52 AM

23 posts, read 112,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagee View Post
Try looking at alpine austism center it is a private school in colorado springs #719-955-3767 I have been trained as a shadow out of NO CAL.I also have a grandaughter who has special needs and I have to say CO is a bit behind in understanding special needs children. I started a day care that provided transportation to and from the therapy appts she would have. I've even gone back to school to provide a day care and respite for children needing extra help I hope to get hired at alpine after I graduate in May you can contact me at Gagee58@yahoo.com
Thank you so much for telling us about the alpine autism center Services Offered (http://alpineautismcenter.org/servicesoffered.html - broken link) I had no idea this existed. I knew about soaring eagles center for autism but the alpine center full day is 7 hours which is very very good! Soaring Eagles Center for autism costs $1200 a month for 4 hours a day 3 weeks a month service. Joshua school in Denver is The Joshua School | About TJS | Greeting $65,000 a year. I cant see how anyone could afford this without suing there school district. I was arrested april 28, 2009 for fighting with my own school district and now have the office of civil rights on them because my son was on ly receiving 12 hours a month and 6 of those 12 hours were after school was out. Things have got pretty ugly here. Would it be nice if I was able to force them to pay for the alpine autism center or the Joshua school in Denver!

Old 06-12-2009, 03:05 PM

Ok alpine autism center in Colorado springs goes 7 hours a day 5 days a week. They charge $4600 a month.
Soaring Eagles Center for autism goes 4 hour days 3 weeks a month and they charge $1200.
Colorado is different then most states. One could try to sue the school district for tuition however, I have discovered most parents give there children over to social services foster care and in return DHS ends up paying for such tuition at good private schools. DHS will not pay for such tuition for children NOT in there custody. So there you have it Colorado style.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsmom25 View Post
This school is designed for kids with special needs...
The Joshua School
2303 E. Dartmouth Ave.
Englewood, CO 80113
Phone: 303.758.7171
Fax: 303.758.9044

E-mail: thejoshuaschool@yahoo.com
Please tell me how parents pay for this school. Do they sue the school district due process or does DHS end up paying for the tuition. I have talked with many parents who say they had to give up custody to DHS so DHS will pay for such tuition. I am in the middle of a office of civil rights case with my current school district. I finally got a lawyer through the legal center in denver. If you wish to read more about my case here is the web site Rip-off Report: Trinidad Public Schools Fishers Peak Elementary IDEA LAW Violations/Stripping my son Naked/False Child Abuse Allegations Trinidad Colorado Anyway please tell me how most parents end up affording tuition at the Joshua school. Thank you so much.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,026 times
Default anyone who can help with homeschooling???

Okay. Like I have never homeschooled my autistic child. But the schools here in CO are not good. I do a better job in the summer with her then they do all year round!! I just would like to homeschool her but don't know how to go about doing it. I do not know who to contact to get under an umbrella so to speak, and get a curriculum ( sorry misspelled).And I know there are tests that have to be done each year by a certified teacher or mabye not if the right homeschool was used. I dunno. Please, can anyone from colorado that is homeschooling an autistic child tell me where to begin? Time is running out and I need help. I am new to this form but u can e-mail me at jadenjewll@yahoo.com or talk over the phone. I appreciate all the help.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:05 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,190,952 times
I see no one has brought up District 8. District 8 has several happy parents who have students with special needs, to include autism. Students with autism aren't lumped into one room or just thrown into a general ed classroom. Each student's needs are looked at and then it is decided if a para is needed to support the child. One of the biggest concerns the district has with hiring a para to shadow a student is that student creates a "bubble". This bubble meaning that the student learns that all important information comes from within 4 feet, so the para will repeat directions and direct him/her and stop paying attention to the rest of the classroom. The district strives to make students independent, at all ages. Additionally, applied behavior analysis is paid for by the district. A certified behavior consultant (BACB) is hired to come into the district (so not a district employee but there for the kids) and to work with the student, para, teacher(s), and parents. Trust me, this isn't cheap!! but highly valuable. There are specific schools within the district that actually have severe needs rooms for extreme autism but the end goal is to get them out and back in general ed...again the independence factor. Otherwise, there are students in every building who are on the autism spectrum.
What we (yes, I am a sped teacher who just resigned from D8 due to move to VA), have discovered about individuals is how intelligent they are! We were fooled once upon a time about how much they understood and have discovered we have been played! More often than not, they get it, like really get it and once we find that communication key, holy tamale! Watch out, we are in for a show and more often than not, look like fools for thinking how uncapable he/she was. Every time, every time! a student blows us out of the water with abilities. We are the idiots for not learning their world, they already know and understand ours. For example, watch Amanda Baggs on youtube.
Anyhow, good luck with your search....

Old 02-24-2011, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,240 times
Default Ditto.. I too would like a listing of the schools for children with autism, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow42 View Post
We are considering a move from Socal to Colorado. My husband works for Boeing and we have been applying to various jobs in the state. My 4 yr old son has a mild form of asperger's syndrome and we have been advised to hire a "shadow" to help him through his difficulties in school with focussing and socialization. I am wondering if anyone can tell me how are the services in either the Denver area or Colorado Springs area for children with special needs. He also will need some occupational therapy, speech and social skills training. If anyone has any experience with this as related to the public school system, I would appreciate hearing from you. We will base our decision to move on the level of services available to us in the area. Thanks.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,121 times
Does anyone know anything about the Manitou School district in response to autism. Also, which district is most likely to refer to the Alpine Autism Center. We have been through the mill and I am moving from Pueblo to Colorado Springs. Looking for the right school district. Too many people have issues with Dist. 11 and I just don't have anymore energy to fight the fight. I need a dist. that will do things right.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:13 AM

20,306 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Check this thread in the COLO SPGS forum. One of our regulars (Froggin4Colorado) was a SPED teacher here and gives good advice in her postings.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or