Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 12:20 PM

46 posts, read 118,314 times

Advertisements

Congrats! We made the move from the southeast to Colorado this last spring and love it! I think I have spent more time outside this summer than I did in the south for the last 12+ years! I feel so fortunate to be living in such a beautiful state. Wishing you much happiness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 11:52 AM

541 posts, read 1,224,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagant1932 View Post
This was probably the best move you could have made.
I live in Tenn., don't like it, I've lived in Ky., don't like it, I've lived in Oh., don't like it, I've been to 21 states and halfway down into Mexico (boy talking about going back in the past to the 60's or 70's) don't like it but I keep dreaming of Colorado. I hate this hot weather and the people here are go to church on Sunday curse you out on Monday type people, but my family is here and my wife just got promoted to a pretty good job and I have a house that I've been trying to sell for 2 years so I guess I'll never make it their except to visit.
Take Care and Good Luck!
Sorry to hear that. I think Tennesseeans have been the nicest of the people I've met anywhere I've lived. Very courteous people. Seems like Knoxville always finished along with Charleston, SC, as the city where people were most likely to help you out in certain situations.

You should move and be happy. The market will pick-up eventually. Sounds like you've been too transient to set any kind of roots. Maybe consider staying?

Old 08-23-2011, 04:00 PM

6 posts, read 7,019 times
Default Considering a Move to Durango ..........

What do you think it is like for a couple who are retired to move to Durango by choice? Without children to help the social network building, how easy is it to build a new community of friends? While we are older, we are both in terrific shape and enjoy a lot of outdoor sports. We've been Colorado residents in the Denver area in the early years of our marriage, but that was a long time ago. We love CO, but I'm concerned about meeting new friends in such a small town. Also, I'm master level swimmer. Do you know if there are any indoor 25 meter pools? Thanks for help.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:15 PM

118 posts, read 310,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolan View Post
What do you think it is like for a couple who are retired to move to Durango by choice? Without children to help the social network building, how easy is it to build a new community of friends? While we are older, we are both in terrific shape and enjoy a lot of outdoor sports. We've been Colorado residents in the Denver area in the early years of our marriage, but that was a long time ago. We love CO, but I'm concerned about meeting new friends in such a small town. Also, I'm master level swimmer. Do you know if there are any indoor 25 meter pools? Thanks for help.
We made friends astonishingly quickly. We moved here in October (2009), and we had a dozen locals at our house for dinner on Christmas eve. (we knew no one here when we moved) Our neighbors brought us cookies when be moved into our house!

The Rec Center is probably your best bet regarding the pool. The athletic population here is unlike anything i've seen anywhere, including the masters scene. There's a pretty active masters triathlete population, and the rec center has dedicated masters swimming hours in the evenings daily, Monday - Friday. Their website says this about the pool size: "35 laps (70 lengths) = 1 mile"

Old 08-23-2011, 05:27 PM

297 posts, read 896,374 times
Quote:
Ah ha! One of those swimmers that keeps "running over" me in the pool But then, I may define slow ...

I really like Durango when I visited a couple years ago. Seemed like a great place to live.

Last edited by Aggie; 08-23-2011 at 05:52 PM..

Old 08-23-2011, 05:50 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,117 times
Good luck to you both, although coming from Australia i visited Durango with my daughter a couple of years ago we were on holiday, we really loved the place and wished we could have stayed longer the climate was beautiful and everyone was so friendly.Well done you.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:05 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
how easy is it to build a new community of friends?
If you'd be at all interested in the local history of the place or fashions from that era, these folks might be kind of fun to hang out with:

Durango Victorian Aid Society

Old 08-24-2011, 08:46 AM

169 posts, read 373,191 times
Quote:
JChasse is spot on about the rec center so check out their website. I'm not much of a swimmer but the pools looked impressive to me and a membership works out to $20 pp monthly for a family of two: a great value. Nothing like this is available where we came from, which is exactly why we moved in the first place but we've decided not to join until the cold sets in because we are too busy enjoying the many outdoors activities Durango provides. An incredible dilemma to be be faced with, don't you think?

Old 08-25-2011, 04:35 PM

Thanks for the helpful insights. I remind myself & husband that all we really have is a 'high'class'dilemma.I'm grateful for decades of work that gave us the ability to have choices. Quality of lifestyle doesn't mean a lot
of 'stuff.' I'm checking out the rec center.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
Ah ha! One of those swimmers that keeps "running over" me in the pool But then, I may define slow ...

I really like Durango when I visited a couple years ago. Seemed like a great place to live.
I promise, I'm not one of 'those' swimmers . I get upset by folks who really have a lack of swimming etiquette. Hopefully, I'm posting this correctly, I'm new to this kind of communicating. Thanks for the insights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado