U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2006, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
210 posts, read 1,242,624 times
Reputation: 62

Advertisements

They're mostly turboprops or smaller planes like that. I don't know that any jets fly in/out of Farmington or Durango. But both airports do have rental car companies, according to their websites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2006, 03:36 PM
 
157 posts, read 577,909 times
Reputation: 79
I_LUVNM

Thank you, thank you! On a day when I was actually kinda feeling sorry for myself, you post incredible pictures of SW Colorado! Thanks for remindng me just how lucky I am to have been raised here and to be here today. I am grateful for my location on earth and for your pictures to remind me. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2006, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Where I live.
9,191 posts, read 18,516,359 times
Reputation: 4766
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinajaCo View Post
Farmington has flights to Denver, Albuquerque, Phoenix, and Moab on Great Lakes, Mesa, and US Airways, respectively. That is the drawback of the area, that the nearest major airports (Albuquerque and Colorado Springs) are 4.5 and 5.5 hours away, respectively, so fares will likely be higher and you will have fewer flights and limited air service.
Thanks so much for the info.....but at least with flights to ABQ, I'd have an easy connection via SW from that point, even if it does cost more.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2006, 04:53 PM
 
Location: IE CA.
643 posts, read 2,165,211 times
Reputation: 240
Depending on where your coming from Make sure to check Alaska. From PDX to DEN it was very reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2006, 12:04 AM
 
476 posts, read 2,088,116 times
Reputation: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoboy204 View Post
I_LUVNM

Thank you, thank you! On a day when I was actually kinda feeling sorry for myself, you post incredible pictures of SW Colorado! Thanks for remindng me just how lucky I am to have been raised here and to be here today. I am grateful for my location on earth and for your pictures to remind me. Thanks again!
Sure, no problem. You are lucky to be in Durango. I thought I would show the contrasts with Farmington since so many people ask about the area, only 50 miles away from Durango but you can see how different it looks. Also pic of airport and an MD going down the runway. They do have jet planes but mostly the ones coming and going are the smaller jets and props.

http://www.flightcareers.com/images/airport.jpg (broken link)

http://www.farmington.nm.us/depts/comdev/airport/photos/P1000039.jpg (broken link)

For more Farmington pictures, you can see how different yet close to Durango, here are some links for pictures on the city-data website:

www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv5818.php

www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc81.php

www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc87.php

www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc88.php

Below is a picture where you can see Shiprock in the distance:
www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc16410.php

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 12-15-2006 at 12:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2006, 01:17 AM
 
476 posts, read 2,088,116 times
Reputation: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I was looking at flights to and from Farmington, and it looks like you have to make connections to other airlines to come back east (Midland, Austin, etc.)....any airlines besides Mesa/Frontier that fly out of Farmington?

Thanks for the beautiful photos....but I am shocked. That is not the Durango I knew 20 years ago. I love the country/mountains, but from what I have been reading on this thread, it has changed ENORMOUSLY. I will probably schedule a few days of skiing at DMR if I have time on my trip to Farmington after the first of the year.
Cathy4017, Durango has grown considerably. Farmington more so. It sounds like you are relocating to Farmington? If so, welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2006, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Where I live.
9,191 posts, read 18,516,359 times
Reputation: 4766
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
Cathy4017, Durango has grown considerably. Farmington more so. It sounds like you are relocating to Farmington? If so, welcome!
Thank you, I_LUVNM.....I have been all around Farmington....in all directions, but have never been to the city itself. But it sounds more like my kind of place than Durango does as it is now. Durango is still beautiful as ever from the recent photos, but it might be a tad TOO liberal and too new-agey for me!

I love desert surrounded by mountains--and a place that is a little more conservative--so Farmington sounds like it might suit me better. Close to DMR, but with more affordable housing, et al. I hope to come out sometime in January for my initial trip!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2006, 12:37 AM
 
Location: IE CA.
643 posts, read 2,165,211 times
Reputation: 240
Im sorry ILUVNM I just have a few more questions for you if you dont mind. How far is Farmington from Mancos .. is the drive a straight through? How many people live there now as opposed to the Manco and Pagosa ... it seems like Farmington would be quite a bit bigger then both. Is there a big differene in the feel of the cities and the people? Lastly Is this airplne in Farmington or Durango? Mesa airlines isnt that the one that goes to both?
Thank you again for your patience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2006, 03:59 AM
 
476 posts, read 2,088,116 times
Reputation: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
Im sorry ILUVNM I just have a few more questions for you if you dont mind. How far is Farmington from Mancos .. is the drive a straight through? How many people live there now as opposed to the Manco and Pagosa ... it seems like Farmington would be quite a bit bigger then both. Is there a big differene in the feel of the cities and the people? Lastly Is this airplne in Farmington or Durango? Mesa airlines isnt that the one that goes to both?
Thank you again for your patience.
Mancos is about 50 miles from Farmington. You would probably go down Highway 140 to Farmington and it is a straight shot to Farmington once you turn on Highway 140 from Highway 160. Farmington is a big city for New Mexico. It ranks I think 3rd largest city next to Albuquerque and Las Cruces. The metro area of Farmington has about 130,000 or more which includes Aztec, Bloomfield, Kirtland and other towns around Farmington.
Much difference between the cities. Farmington is a desert city, has lots of shopping, is more conservative then Colorado, is spread out and sprawls out. Mancos is a small town but growing, is a mountain ranch cowboy type of town. The area is pretty and it becomes desert as you go toward Mesa Verde and Cortez. Farmington has all the amenities. Farmington is faster paced, Mancos slow and easy. Durango is its own city. I would consider it closest to its sister Boulder than any city I can think of. It has all sorts of theater, music, arts, dance, museums, sculpture, all kinds of that kind of thing. Liberal and free spirited. Lot of stuff to do there. Durango has the added plus of a nearby ski resort. Durango has lots of area lakes, some very pristine. Farmingtons lakes are not so great. Navajo is the best and is huge. I would look at the area as a triangle. Cortez - Durango - Farmington. Cortez and Mancos = cowboys and ranches, Durango = arts, educated people, computers, artists, liberals and lots of natural beauty, Farmington = lots of stores, conservative, desert, faster paced. Oh, the airplane is in Farmington. Durango does have jets coming in there too I think from DFW and some places esp. during the ski season. Frontier I heard wants to go into Durango too soon. United seems to be a main staple in Durango. Mesa is the big one in Farmington. HTH.

To Cathy4017, you are welcome. Yes if you are conservative, you would be best in Farmington. I like Farmington for all the amenities and shopping. I like Durango too, it is a beautiful place. Mancos is a nice place too. Cathy4017, if you ever get to Durango, go down Florida Road to North College Drive and drive up at night to the college. Take a right up there and go to Rim Drive and follow Rim Drive. It is breathtaking at night! All the city lights flooding the valley below is quite a sight! Anyhoo, take care!!

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 12-17-2006 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: added memo to Cathy4017
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2006, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Where I live.
9,191 posts, read 18,516,359 times
Reputation: 4766
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
Mancos is about 50 miles from Farmington. You would probably go down Highway 140 to Farmington and it is a straight shot to Farmington once you turn on Highway 140 from Highway 160. Farmington is a big city for New Mexico. It ranks I think 3rd largest city next to Albuquerque and Las Cruces. The metro area of Farmington has about 130,000 or more which includes Aztec, Bloomfield, Kirtland and other towns around Farmington.
Much difference between the cities. Farmington is a desert city, has lots of shopping, is more conservative then Colorado, is spread out and sprawls out. Mancos is a small town but growing, is a mountain ranch cowboy type of town. The area is pretty and it becomes desert as you go toward Mesa Verde and Cortez. Farmington has all the amenities. Farmington is faster paced, Mancos slow and easy. Durango is its own city. I would consider it closest to its sister Boulder than any city I can think of. It has all sorts of theater, music, arts, dance, museums, sculpture, all kinds of that kind of thing. Liberal and free spirited. Lot of stuff to do there. Durango has the added plus of a nearby ski resort. Durango has lots of area lakes, some very pristine. Farmingtons lakes are not so great. Navajo is the best and is huge. I would look at the area as a triangle. Cortez - Durango - Farmington. Cortez and Mancos = cowboys and ranches, Durango = arts, educated people, computers, artists, liberals and lots of natural beauty, Farmington = lots of stores, conservative, desert, faster paced. Oh, the airplane is in Farmington. Durango does have jets coming in there too I think from DFW and some places esp. during the ski season. Frontier I heard wants to go into Durango too soon. United seems to be a main staple in Durango. Mesa is the big one in Farmington. HTH.

To Cathy4017, you are welcome. Yes if you are conservative, you would be best in Farmington. I like Farmington for all the amenities and shopping. I like Durango too, it is a beautiful place. Mancos is a nice place too. Cathy4017, if you ever get to Durango, go down Florida Road to North College Drive and drive up at night to the college. Take a right up there and go to Rim Drive and follow Rim Drive. It is breathtaking at night! All the city lights flooding the valley below is quite a sight! Anyhoo, take care!!
Very much appreciate the info, I_LUVNM......we used to go to both Durango and Pagosa Springs skiing at least twice a year. It shook me up to see the photos of Pagosa--the little motel where we always stayed is now a resort, what with the springs, etc. Seems like I have held the old pictures in my mind/heart all of these years (first trip out in 1980 or so)--and it's just not that way any longer. Durango Mountain Resort used to be called Purgatory...and Wolf Creek has probably grown as well...and is not the same...anyway, I will find out when I get there.

I take the Farmington paper....and you can really get a feel for the place when you read them, especially the editorials!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top