U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2006, 10:33 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,306,817 times

Advertisements

Hi I am a young adult gay hispanic guy (but I look and act like your normal average white guy). I am moderate. I believe conservatives and liberals both have good ideas to offer our society. Although I do not believe in hardcore conservatism at all.

I like the night life ( rock concerts, and dance clubs) and safety is a big issue. Staying away from racism and homophobia is a big part of my life (So I am not sure if there are gay parts of the city where I could live that are nice and respectable). I do not like crazy out of control traffic. Traffic drives me nuts. But I can deal with the average traffic that any city has most of the time.

I like clean air, friendly , easy going, and open minded people. The chuches I prefer of course are non-conservative. I am more into Unitarian Christianity which is a progressive form of Christianity. I would like to stay clear of all conservative bible belt or fundamentalist christian areas. I like community activities and doing volunteer work. Outdoors activities are fun - like lakes and water parks.

The environment I prefer is pretty and clean. I don't mind cold weather as long as it doesn't last too long. I am just worried about blizzards, snow and ice. As I am not used to driving in that type of weather. My big allergy is mold and fungus (as I start to sneeze a lot and feel light headed and hot). I am mildly allergic to cut grass but it is no big deal at all.

Also I'd like to know what sort of jobs are popular in the Colorado area. As I might get a masters degree before I move up there. So there is still time for me to plan my relocation.

I hope you can help me out.
Thank you

Old 09-04-2006, 11:05 PM

827 posts, read 4,541,267 times
Durango is a good choice. It has gays and they are accepted there. They also have a good amount of Hispanics being near the border of New Mexico. Jobs - there are computer jobs, medical jobs, landscaping, home building, retail businesses, trucking, light industrial jobs, schools, a large college and a lot of others. The city is a lot like Boulder, being on the liberal side. There are a lot of condos and apartments too. I know quite a few gays who live there and they live in those but some I know have homes too. Homes in the city are on the costly side but the suburbs are less expensive.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:07 PM

61 posts, read 347,363 times
Hispanics are approx 30% of the population here, so is good for you. Gay areas in Denver I would consider are intown - 1st ave north to about 18th and LODO (lower downtown). These areas are not predominately Gay, but higher than average. Also consider Boulder, and even though Colorado Springs is ultra conservative, there is an active Gay community there.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:16 AM

I will have to pass on COlorado springs. It has 2 huge evangelical churches there. haha

Is there a big gay community in Boulder?

I looked up Durango. It is in south colorado? And it is a small tourist attraction city? How far away is Denver from there? I didn't see anything about gay dance clubs or bars. So I am confused but the city looks lovely.

How much do average one bedroom apartments cost in those cities mentioned? And how bad is crime and discrimination?

Also can you tell me more about weather there and the shopping. I am used to large and new shopping centers and malls etc.

Last edited by artsyguy; 09-05-2006 at 09:43 AM..

Old 09-05-2006, 01:35 PM

45 posts, read 317,505 times
I think Durango would be a good idea. It does have a college; therefore, a bit more openess and education. Boulder is very accepting of the gay lifestyle; however, I do think you might run into more problems being hispanic (I'm just being honest). My husband, while not hispanic, is Assyrian (he looks hispanic) and he gets pulled-over quite a bit. But, you would be much closer to Denver for the night life. Which I don't know about Gay Bars, etc in Denver...(Being a straight, white girl) Ft. Collins is also very tolerant and may be able to find a more fitting church. In the Boulder, Longmont area, those who go to chruch are usually very, ah...conventional...there is a ballot this election for gay rights - my husband and I hope it passes, I guess I'm saying there is a very good community in the Front Range that I'm sure you can find.

And: Denver/Front Range is nearly exploding with new mega-malls & it really is true - if you don't like the weather wait a 1/2 hour and it will change. Colorado has more sunny days then California.

Keep looking!

Old 09-05-2006, 04:55 PM

That sounds great. I look more white than hispanic so I think I would not have a problem in Boulder. Is the Winters very harsh in Boulder?

Old 09-05-2006, 04:57 PM

571 posts, read 2,251,002 times
Durango is a smaller (but rapidly growing) town in the SW part of the state. The nearest "big" cities are Grand Junction, CO and Farmington, NM. It's a long drive to Denver, on the other side of the rockies!

It is kind of a "tourist" town but a lot of people are "discovering" it and settling down permanently. Very lively downtown scene with lots of trendy restaurants, bars, shops etc., though I'm not sure about the gay scene spefically.

Espeically for a smaller city, Durango is quite tolerant and definitely more on the liberal side. In additon to the hispanic influence around there, the 4-corners region (where CO, NM, AZ and UT meet) is also home to several Native American reservations.

If you're looking for a more "urban" experience, you might want to stick to the front range (Denver area). But yes, Durango is lovely!

Old 09-05-2006, 06:40 PM

61 posts, read 347,363 times
Boulder is tucked up into the foothills and 25 miles NW from Downtown Denver. Maybe a skosh cooler and a bit more snow. If I were gay, I would probably live in the areas I outlined in Denver above.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:07 PM

827 posts, read 4,541,267 times
Artsyguy, in Durango, one bedroom apt will run around 650 a month or so. There are a lot of gays in Durango I know because I have many gay friends in Durango. The gays are accepted there but as far as a gay bar, they don't have one but you will see gays together, walking down the streets, or living together, or getting together for picnics and parties and such. For more of the gay bar type of lifestyle, Denver is the best area for that. They have some gay bars in Denver. I know some gay friends who live near the city park and zoo and some others who live in Arvada. There used to be a gay bar in Denver called Charlies, I think. I don't know if it is still there but it used to be.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:23 AM

45 posts, read 317,505 times
BOulder is fine for the winter. You will get an occassional snowstorm - but it knocks everyone out, so being late to work (ie sleeping-in) is understood. I get around just fine in my Volvo (front wheel drive, good tires) - but I don't have to deal with rush hour. If it snows the night before, it's usually melted off the streets & sidewalks by afternoon. From what I gather, you'd probably like downtown BOulder/Pearl STreet area...nice shops: Lush, Banana Rep, Peppercorn (gourmet kitchen) etc. Really nice "trendy" resaurants, bars...but mostly college - I wouldn't be surprised if there is a gay bar, however, BOulder is accepting regardless. Louisville also has a big mall - the Rack, Nordstroms and others (only 15mins towards Denver) Our apartments, near Pearl: studios rent for $450, 1bd $600+, 2 bd $800+, 3 bd is $950. The best time to rent in Boulder is September, and Janauary (college students have moved by then and landlords are desperate)

I don't know much about Englewood, suburb of Denver, I think a little more hispanic pop.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or