U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick
Aspen 13 35.14%
Vail 11 29.73%
Telluride 13 35.14%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 01:09 AM

636 posts, read 1,298,995 times

Advertisements

I view these as the "big three" in Colorado. Which one of these towns has the best ski resort? Personally I think the runs at Telluride can be a but narrow but they have very diverse terrain. Plus they have been opening new bowls. Aspen is neat because it has four mountains and the runs are also wider. I've never boarded Vail though, so I can't speak from experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 01:20 AM

292 posts, read 572,150 times
Aspen is my favorite because of all the rich and famous people there which gives it a very unique vibe and mystique. Aspen is also the most expensive and prestigious. Not to say that all that stuff makes a place better but it just makes Aspen seem more different to me. It makes Aspen standout more. Regardless, Aspen is a beautiful place. I have been to Aspen but have never been to Vail. I have heard good things about Vail and I know a wealthy Denver family who owns a home in Vail and loves it there very much. Aspen and Whistler would be a fun comparison.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
Aspen is my favorite because of all the rich and famous people there which gives it a very unique vibe and mystique. Aspen is also the most expensive and prestigious. Not to say that all that stuff makes a place better but it just makes Aspen seem more different to me. It makes Aspen standout more. Regardless, Aspen is a beautiful place. I have been to Aspen but have never been to Vail. I have heard good things about Vail and I know a wealthy Denver family who owns a home in Vail and loves it there very much. Aspen and Whistler would be a fun comparison.
I also love Aspen. It has a big city feel, if you know what I mean. Telluride and Vail are like Aspen, just on a smaller scale. The nice thing about Aspen is that the resort is open much longer than Telluride.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:32 AM

224 posts, read 254,445 times
aspen. it's the most refined of the three.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:11 AM

20,211 posts, read 28,238,032 times
I think Aspen of the three. It has more to do outside of skiing and has a more established feel. Vail seems manufactured and lacks a soul in my opinion. Telluride is more rustic and less about prestige which appeals to many.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I think Aspen of the three. It has more to do outside of skiing and has a more established feel. Vail seems manufactured and lacks a soul in my opinion. Telluride is more rustic and less about prestige which appeals to many.
I would agree with this assessment. Part of it has to do with Aspen being the oldest.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:48 PM

5,371 posts, read 7,657,321 times
Telluride is the best skiing...Aspen has the best "city feel".

Old 08-20-2011, 11:12 PM

343 posts, read 660,253 times
Having been to all 3, Telluride is definitely my favorite. It has this really strong sense of character, combined with great skiing and unparalleled beauty in my opinion. Aspen's wealth makes for a very unique, elite vibe but it does not have the charm of Telluride to me. Vail is my least favorite just because it doesn't feel quite as established and certainly feels manufactured in a way.

Also Telluride's lift lines are generally shorter, although more people are discovering it every year. Needless to say I LOVE Telluride, it is my home away from home

Great thread!

Old 08-20-2011, 11:54 PM

9,972 posts, read 14,014,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
Having been to all 3, Telluride is definitely my favorite. It has this really strong sense of character, combined with great skiing and unparalleled beauty in my opinion. Aspen's wealth makes for a very unique, elite vibe but it does not have the charm of Telluride to me. Vail is my least favorite just because it doesn't feel quite as established and certainly feels manufactured in a way.

Also Telluride's lift lines are generally shorter, although more people are discovering it every year. Needless to say I LOVE Telluride, it is my home away from home

Great thread!
Telluride is my favorite also. The location is among the spectacular of anywhere in North America with the 14,000 foot peaks surrounding a Victorian mining town situated in a narrow box canyon. And though it's become much more discovered and high end, it's still got a cool, off-the-beaten path, laid-back feel to the area, and the surrounding towns in the San Juans are nice as well(Silverton, Ouray, and Durango). As far as skiing, it's got one of my favorite mixes of terrain in Colorado as far as the steep runs going into town and the high alpine bowls on the other side are concerned.

Aspen has probably the best mix of different ski areas in Colorado close by as well as the most to do right in town, although it sort of feels a little too rich for my blood. It does has the most going on of any Colorado ski town and the surrounding areas like Aspen Highlands and Snowmass are a great combination. Plus the drive over to Crested Butte in the summer or fall or the hikes up to the Marroon Bells are some of the most scenic spots in the Rockies.

Vail to me feels like Whistler Village with milder terrain, but it still is a good spot to check out. My biggest pet-peeve with Vail(and Beaver Creek) is that it just feels a little too manicured. The back bowls are cool and there is a ton of terrain, but I'm just not as impressed with the ski area as other spots in the Rockies(or Sierra or Cascades). Just my opinion...

Old 08-21-2011, 06:46 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,039,982 times
The Big Three would be Aspen, Breckenridge and Crested Butte. The rest are all great ski towns but Im shocked not to see crested butte! It typically hosts the x-games etc., has a much greater history and has superior incredible back country skiing...Its also IMO prettier...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or