U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 3,412 times

Advertisements

My situation sucks right now. I recently was honorable discharged from the army. I moved to Dallas to live with my aunt and go to school. It is not working for me. I have always wanted to live in Colorado, but I never had the chance. Right now I have nothing tying me down.
I figured if I am starting over I might as well be in a state I like.

the problem is money. I have none. LOL
I have tried to find jobs in CO, but living in TX kinda limits that search.
I was thinking of selling my truck ($500 truck payment including insurance) so that I could just move up to Denver, or Boulder (preferably) and get a cheap apartment and hopefully find a restaurant that will hire. My question to everyone is there opinion on this. Is it a good idea to sell my truck to move to another state? Would it be wise to take a trip to CO or just buy a one-way ticket. I really do not like TX at all.
Thanks

Also any suggestions for jobs or apartments in Denver or Boulder area would be most helpful.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 11:51 AM

2,866 posts, read 7,102,116 times
Don't you dare move here without any sort of money saved up, or you will regret it. Trust me

Old 08-22-2011, 12:42 PM

570 posts, read 1,106,619 times
If you're able to sell your truck and make do in TX without it for a while, perhaps you could save up money to fund a job search or to move? It isn't a great idea to move anywhere with no savings, especially in today's job market. Maybe sticking it out in TX just to get through school would be the best option? Good luck to you!

Old 08-22-2011, 02:15 PM

399 posts, read 667,735 times
It's not a wise decision at all. It's a gamble. With the school semester already underway, you might have a better chance compared to if you were moving during the summer. Personally, your own reliable transportation is more important. The buses around here don't run 24/7, they are not always on time, and they can't really be considered a reliable source or transportation. Finish school and try to get a technical degree if you're in a rush. Then try to find an employer that is willing to hire you even though you live in Texas.

It would be unfortunate if you sold your vehicle and came to Colorado only to have to go back to Texas because you couldn't find a job.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,412 times
thank you all. I am most likely stay in dallas... My issue is that I live with my aunt and I need to be on my own. that is the only reason i am rushing. I am trying to figure what I want to do before I use my GI bill, and I dont have money saved up to just pay for school. So i am left with finding a decent job, but they all take experience, and degrees. im in a spiral. but i looked and denver has a higher cost of living then dallas... so i will prob sell my truck and stay here which sucks... thanks again.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:23 PM

319 posts, read 620,691 times
chilbob, I want to take a moment and thank you for your service to our country. In return, you deserve to find a good job, a home of your own, and a shot at something a whole lot better than suckiness. Stay strong and keep your head up; better times and open doors may be right round the corner. When you're ready, Colorado will still be here.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:10 PM

169 posts, read 318,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
chilbob, I want to take a moment and thank you for your service to our country. In return, you deserve to find a good job, a home of your own, and a shot at something a whole lot better than suckiness. Stay strong and keep your head up; better times and open doors may be right round the corner. When you're ready, Colorado will still be here.
Well said.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:13 PM

12,848 posts, read 24,501,273 times
Like s/he said.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:44 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,463,186 times
chilbob wrote:
Advice on moving
Stay where you are for now and save some $$$$. Having a reserve fund at your disposal will make a future move FAR LESS stressful, and greatly raise your probability of carrying out a successful move.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:14 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,911,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilbob View Post
My situation sucks right now. I recently was honorable discharged from the army. I moved to Dallas to live with my aunt and go to school. It is not working for me. I have always wanted to live in Colorado, but I never had the chance. Right now I have nothing tying me down.
I figured if I am starting over I might as well be in a state I like.
you're absolutely right. I totally support you on that statement.

Quote:
I have tried to find jobs in CO, but living in TX kinda limits that search.
I was thinking of selling my truck ($500 truck payment including insurance) so that I could just move
THis sounds like a good idea. It's best not to have a monthly payment on something when you don't have a job.

Quote:
up to Denver, or Boulder (preferably) and get a cheap apartment and hopefully find a restaurant that will hire. My question to everyone is there opinion on this. Is it a good idea to sell my truck to move to another state?
Definitely. It will lessen your burden, reduce your obligations, maybe put a little cash in your pocket to help with the move and help you get on your feet.

Quote:
Would it be wise to take a trip to CO or just buy a one-way ticket.
in my opinion, Colorado is a desirable enough place to live that a one-way ticket is not out of the question. I've lived in different places throughout the US, and my own personal opinion is Colorado ranks in the top 5, especially the Denver area.

(where I currently live ranks in the top 2, but that's another story )

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or