U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 04:24 PM

10,922 posts, read 41,501,036 times

Advertisements

I see a conflict in your goals of hiking trails/ATV area for the summer in a smaller town ...

A place that would have a real potential for a winter season lease would have to be in a ski resort area, since that's what is the draw in the mountains during that season ... or very accessible to one. But your price point is approaching the market of 25-30 years ago .... unless you can find a distressed property in foreclosure and somebody is able to absorb the loss, even in the currently depressed marketplace in some areas (Bachelor Gulch? Cordillera?).

I've seen some smaller condo's in ski areas that would fit your rental potential requirement at your price point, but I wouldn't want to live in them for 3 weeks in the summer, let alone 3 months. Living space would be minimal, and storage for your ATV might be problematic, too. The big concern is that these aren't in or near small towns, they are in ski resort towns.

If you bought in your price range in Glenwood, your winter rental market would be seasonal ski area workers ... who would be bringing in roomates to afford to be able to live in your place. Do you want to have this type of tenant marketplace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 11:13 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,033,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Impossible to find a mountain vacation home/condo in Colorado with that budget, at least something that won't require a lot more cash to fix up and make presentable and livable.
Perhaps you haven't looked in the past couple years. I've got a short list of 40 townhomes and houses. Granted they're mostly 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 900-1100 sq ft... but that's all I'm looking for.

Check out realtor.com, you might be surprised.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:16 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,033,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
If you bought in your price range in Glenwood, your winter rental market would be seasonal ski area workers ... who would be bringing in roomates to afford to be able to live in your place. Do you want to have this type of tenant marketplace?
Hmm... that's a great point. Never thought of marketing toward seasonal workers versus vacationers. I think I'd prefer that. Thanks for the idea.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:08 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,527,463 times
If you are considering Glenwood Springs and hoping to appeal to the seasonal worker bees, you might also take a look in Carbondale. Since it is a bit closer to Aspen, it is likley to be a bit more pricey than Glenwood, but might be worth checking out nonetheless.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:38 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,119,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KantLockeMeIn View Post
Hmm... that's a great point. Never thought of marketing toward seasonal workers versus vacationers. I think I'd prefer that. Thanks for the idea.
As someone who lived with seasonal workers for 7 years as well as next to similar situations as well, you better be prepared to find a good renter. I can tell some horror stories.

In the winter, if you are not near a ski town, finding vacation renters is near impossible to do, at least getting any regulars. Many of these Colorado mountain towns that don't have skiing nearby are dead in the winter time.

There are a number of great threads on this Colorado forum about this topic, with tons of great info, so I'd do a search for that.

Having seen all have I have seen, I would merely rent what you need when you need it and save yourself the hassles and nightmares. I would never suggest buying anything unless you were either wealthy with money to throw around or you planned on living there half the year.

$100K to $170K is probably going to buy you a ghetto apartment/condo that is 30 years old and has had a bunch of rhinos run through it or has some other negative. Or is far away from anywhere. Or has no storage and needs renovation.

A lot of Colorado's economy runs off of dreamers with these visions, which is why you can go to any realtor in the rockies and find books of real estate listings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or