U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 06:48 AM

319 posts, read 620,483 times

Advertisements

The Boulder Dushanbe Teahouse - a cross-cultural, sister-city gift from the people of Dushanbe, Tajikistan - is bedecked with traditional Persian art, artistry, and architecture of Central Asia, and is often cited as the only structure of its kind in the Western Hemisphere. Much more than a spot to savor teas and food from around the globe, the structure has become a bona fide tourist destination and, alas, is often crowded because of it. Whether or not you stay to partake, anyone is welcome to peruse and/or photograph the ornate woodcarving and sculptures. (And, of course, there is an interesting political backstory -- but that is hardly unique to Colorado.)

Boulder Dushanbe Teahouse - Inside the Teahouse (http://www.boulderteahouse.com/inside.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 06:13 PM

16 posts, read 35,078 times
People with "native" bumperstickers

Old 08-25-2011, 10:30 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,441,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here's what the mall itself says:

Denver.org | 16th Street Mall - Pedestrian Mall

Built in 1982, the Mall is a tree-lined, pedestrian promenade of red-and-gray granite that runs through the center of Downtown and is lined with outdoor cafes, renovated historic office buildings, sparkling glass-walled skyscrapers, shops, restaurants and retail stores. Numerous fountains and plazas offer a variety of daily special events and entertainers. Free shuttle buses cruise the mile-long Mall seven days a week.

The "transit" is the free shuttle bus. It's not a major transit center.
Sorry but you are wrong. The Mall was built by RTD as a transit mall. RTD at least at that time, wasn't into building shopping malls. The primary purpose of building it was to reduce bus congestion in Downtown. The free shuttle busses were not an after thought. They were the reason The Mall was built. It's unfortunate that some people like you, are confused by what type of mall its is. It just wasn't built to be what you think it is.

16th Street Mall History

Denver's 16th Street Mall was designed in the late 1970's by Henry Cobb, who worked at the time for I.M. Pei and Partners, along with Laurie Olin, then with Hanna Olin. The Transitway/Mall was prepared for the Regional Transporation District (RTD) in November 1977. This document laid the groundwork for the Mall's design concept and elements, its functional requirements and its transfer facilities

Downtown Denver Partnership: 16th Street Mall History

16th Street Transitway Mall

Denver, Colorado
Completed 1982

Denver's development in the 1970s led to the dense congestion of 16th Street, a narrow but lively spine of commerce, transport and retail. This project was undertaken to facilitate public transportation for both downtown and outlying areas, while consolidating and revitalizing the diverse city core. The challenge was to create a cohesive identity for 16th Street without sacrificing its distinctive personality. The solution, emphasizing people and specialized transit, involves a nearly one-mile-long integrated mall with a suburban bus node at each end. From the nodes commuters transfer to the mall's shuttle buses for passage through downtown, reducing center city bus traffic by 50%.

Pei Cobb Freed & Partners

The 16thStreet Transitway/Mall
1977 Plan: Primary Goals

–To lessen congestion in the downtown;

–To provide more efficient bus service to city and suburban neighborhoods; and,

–To create a new pedestrian environment in the downtown –a place for people.

http://ddp.303software.net/LinkClick...E%3D&tabid=357

Last edited by KaaBoom; 08-25-2011 at 10:59 PM..

Old 08-26-2011, 12:40 PM

531 posts, read 868,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The "transit" is the free shuttle bus. It's not a major transit center.
That thought is laughable.

Three of the largest, if not the three largest transit hubs in the Denver area are along the 16th St corridor. Civic Center, Market St Station and Union Station.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:58 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,441,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMike View Post
That thought is laughable.

Three of the largest, if not the three largest transit hubs in the Denver area are along the 16th St corridor. Civic Center, Market St Station and Union Station.
Add two more hubs. You forgot the light rail stations at 16th - California and 16th - Stout. Which busiest stations on the entire system.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:03 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,997,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Casa Bonita
I lived in Oklahoma City for one year in 1969. I visited the Casa Bonita there as often as I could. I haven't found any Mexican style food place I like better. I am tempted to hop on Amtrak and head for Denver just to go thru the line. Do they still have the Cliff divers?

GL2

Old 08-29-2011, 09:12 AM

531 posts, read 868,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Add two more hubs. You forgot the light rail stations at 16th - California and 16th - Stout. Which busiest stations on the entire system.
Good call. It shows how the entire corridor is transit filled. And one could argue, that the retail does so well because of the transit.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:22 AM

91 posts, read 145,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
Unless things have changed, Niwot (Unincorporated Boulder County) boasts a feed store next door to a Porsche/Mercedes/Jaguar dealer. Always seemed unquestionably unique to me...
This is too cool.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:42 AM

6,161 posts, read 9,454,792 times
Nobody's mentioned the Wonder Tower in Genoa yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I lived in Oklahoma City for one year in 1969. I visited the Casa Bonita there as often as I could. I haven't found any Mexican style food place I like better. I am tempted to hop on Amtrak and head for Denver just to go thru the line. Do they still have the Cliff divers?

GL2
Yup, but I wouldn't go out of your way to partake in it. The food quality is no better than Pancho's and it's twice as expensive. We went there for lunch Saturday and 2 all-you-can-eats, 3 kids meals, and 5 drinks set us back $60.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:23 PM

29 posts, read 42,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
That wasn't always the case. Casa Bonita originated in Oklahoma.
Actually, I'm surprised that it originated that close to CO (or anywhere in the Southwest)...Casa Bonita always seemed like kind of Mexican food you'd expect to find in Canada or Europe! As a native Coloradan, I'm ashamed to have CB associated with CO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or