U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:58 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,186,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaticEyes View Post
It would have to be a place that has a good school system, plenty of opportunities for decent paying jobs, low crime and teenage pregnancy rates, and not be too expensive to live.
There are almost no places in Colorado that will meet the last criteria without sacrificing one or all of the others. Hard reality. "Plenty of opportunities for decent-paying jobs" describes practically nowhere in Colorado (or most anywhere else) these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 01:01 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,592,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Hard reality. "Plenty of opportunities for decent-paying jobs" describes practically nowhere in Colorado (or most anywhere else) these days.
When you say "most" anywhere else, that suggests that there is an exception. Where might that be? North Dakota?

Old 09-08-2011, 10:13 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,186,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
When you say "most" anywhere else, that suggests that there is an exception. Where might that be? North Dakota?
Here and there are little pockets that have a relatively healthy economy. Nebraska is one example--currently doing much better than most of the nation. Contrary to the population-growth loving fools' mantra on the Colorado forum, Nebraska is achieving a healthy economy with a relatively stable population and relatively little in-migration from elsewhere. It's done that by protecting agriculture and attracting and holding basic manufacturing industry. Also, unlike Colorado, Nebraska does not starve its public sector of revenue, but expects it to operate efficiently and provide and maintain services and infrastructure (like quality education) that make the place a good place to live. Fancy that. Of course, Nebraska is not most peoples' "dream place" like Colorado obviously is to many, but not is it likely to be overrnun by foolish masses who haven't figured out that one still has to have an income or a job to be able to live someplace like Colorado. Oh, and I find Nebraska's small to medium-sized communities to be generally far more socially balanced and healthy than most Colorado communities--especially compared to Colorado's largely socially dysfunctional resort towns.

You mention North Dakota. North Dakota, until recently, was losing population, but the remaining population--most in agriculture--was becoming more wealthy--mostly due to typical farm sizes increasing substantially. The oil boom in western North Dakota has sent that area into a growth tizzy. There are jobs there, but with severe housing shortages (with attendant price-gouging) and with a severely deteriorating social situation in the boom towns. A lot of the native North Dakotans (and I have first-hand knowledge of this as I have relatives in North Dakota) wish the oil boom had never happened.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:17 PM

2,798 posts, read 3,505,152 times
Other places doing relative well in overall recent job growth include TX, VA, TN, SD, KS, AR, FL and OK (at least in certain cities within the state). Good paying new jobs would take better data than I see immediately and the standard could vary from person to person. I was surprised to see a report of strong recent job growth in Flagstaff but I haven't confirmed this elsewhere and don't have any other details at the moment. It appears Billings has done relatively ok, growing a few jobs. Gillette has lost jobs but still has a pretty low unemployment rate.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-08-2011 at 08:29 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 11:33 PM

2,798 posts, read 3,505,152 times
It looks like the information I saw on Flagstaff was a bit dated and that the job situation there has slipped back some. Still better than US average on unemployment but not as strong as it appeared at the first source. That matches up better with what I expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or