U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 03:25 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,116,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Come from Nebraska, the best option for you would be to go to either the Snowy Range in WY, or up the Poudre river (via Fort Collins). Outside of the 4th of July (which is busy everywhere) you will find a lot less people in these areas. Get a good atlas from DeLorme that will have all the backroads on it and and start exploring.

I really disagree that you have have to go to Gunnison. There is a ton of not very popular areas up the Poudre and up near Cameron pass (and on the other side).
This year, a truly better option for the OP would be northern Wyoming or Montana. Those areas have not been so severely affected by the extremely dry and warm winter that the southern and central Rockies have had to endure this winter. Having lived in Wyoming, I can also say that the drive would, overall, be much less stressful from Nebraska, even if the distances are somewhat longer. In Wyoming, I'm especially partial to the Big Horn range--pretty mountains and seldom crowded at all. The Beartooths in Wyoming and southern Montana are spectacular--one of the few mountain ranges that I put on a par scenically with the San Juans in southwestern Colorado.

My comparison of Wyoming and Colorado's mountains is basically this: with a few exceptions, the Wyoming mountains are less extensive and less spectacular than Colorado's are and don't have the extensive aspen forests that Colorado's mountains do (especially from central Colorado southward), but the positive tradeoff is that the Wyoming mountains are much less despoiled by development, are much less crowded (excluding the Grand Tetons and the main roads in Yellowstone), and are much richer with wildlife viewing and uncrowded fishing opportunities than what is generally available in Colorado.

If you want the bull**** glitzy yuppie resort experience, then Colorado offers that in spades, but if you want a more authentic experience (and not the "resort cartoon" experience), then Wyoming and Montana offer more of that than does Colorado. My old admonitions holds for all of the Rockies, though: If you've read about the place in some national magazine, it's probably already been wrecked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 04:57 PM

9,175 posts, read 16,540,278 times
It's hard to beat the Wind River Range near Lander, WY. And the Snowy Range is probably closer than RMNP. Both have great hiking trails.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:52 AM

601 posts, read 839,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallastoCO View Post
Remember also that RMNP is free on national holidays, making the crowds in Estes over July 4 weekend that much worse.
Nope - not free on July 4. Maybe it was at one time, but not in recent memory. I checked their website, I see that someone already posted the fee free dates for this year.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:43 AM

49 posts, read 155,527 times
We just bought a place in Winter Park that I rent out a lot. When going over the summer rental prices with the property management guy, I asked him if we charge higher rates for holidays such as July 4th. He said town is only half full and people don't pay a premium. So there is another option for you.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:30 AM

431 posts, read 926,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Well the biggest problem for me is the distance getting to most of these places from Central Nebraska. The mountains being within weekend driving distance are a real perk but I can't get very far within them. The Front Range is 6-7 hours away which is doable for a weekend trip but going further inland is not an option. I might try Snowy Range in Wyoming but it doesn't look as impressive as the CO Mtns. I like the "I-70 Sacrifice Zone" thing - highway 34? from Longmont to Estes Park I felt like was the Thompson Creek Sacrifice Zone - traffic was bumper to bumper and the road winded and turned and you had a real good chance of getting rear ended - probably some real big pileups there.
You should try living in California...fml. Overcrowding? I'd take 5million in Colorado over the 40 million here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado