U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 05:46 PM

8 posts, read 21,229 times

Advertisements

Can someone recommend a way to find private landlords in
Grand Junction area (including Redlands, Fruita)? I am beginning a marketing search for a rental with intent to move by Thanksgiving. I want to find a nice in-law or cottage. No intention of living in an apartment complex therefore looking for private landlords. Some of them have great properties and don't advertise.
Maybe private landlords are listed in Ref USA or some other database. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 06:34 PM

2,974 posts, read 6,635,604 times
Most private landlords use either craigslist or a local paper, no database that I have heard of. Since you're local to the area put out the word to friends and colleagues they may know of something. Vet any potential landlords very carefully, some people are very hard to do business with (especially if you are living in an in-law) or may be having financial troubles.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:49 PM

8 posts, read 21,229 times
Default read the landlord's beads as well

Can you offer a practical guide for vetting a landlord? Landlords can access our most private information easily but what is a good way for a prosective tenant to protect self? Landlord financial problems? There is probably a good way to get clued into this aspect as well.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:42 PM

2,974 posts, read 6,635,604 times
You just need to ask them direct questions and trust your gut if you feel they are lying. Why are they renting, have they rented in the past, why did the past tenant leave, how long did they stay, do they plan on selling the house.... If it's an in-law apartment and you will essentially be living with them, how do they keep up their place, are they nosey, will you have privacy...

Be sure you have a real lease with a private landlord that clearly spells out who is responsible for what. It's a business and many don't run it that way.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:27 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,187,215 times
I have always rented from private landlords in small complexes in GJ and it has always worked out fine. I just managed to find these situations.

The guy I rent from now has several units around town. He's an very nice guy. When I stop by his house to pay rent I am usually invited in to visit and have a cup of tea. He's an older single guy and if I don't see him around for a while I call him and make sure he's ok.

Drive around in the neighborhoods you'd like to live in and look for rental signs that don't look like property management type signs.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:12 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,927,610 times
Best way to find houses for rent in GJ is to drive around and look for "For Rent" signs. A lot of landlords will do this. That's how we found the one we rented when we lived there a couple years ago. We had a nice, clean house in a nice neighborhood. The guy we rented from has, like, 20 houses or something and he just puts "For Rent" signs in the yards whenever he needs to. He has a no-pet/no-smoking policy and so his houses are very clean. I felt VERY comfortable renting from him, he's a respectful, honest, well-to-do man with a family, etc.

I personally would not live right next-door to a landlord because that gives them too much opportunity to be nosy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or