Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 09:24 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times

Advertisements

For those of you familiar with persons in Colorado and other states, how would you compare Coloradoans/Coloradans when it comes to getting offended? Especially where people jump to the wrong conclusion and react in an offended manner. Maybe being a bit "thin-skinned" and not able to handle a difference in opinions without reacting in an emotional way.

Along the same lines, do you consider those from Colorado to be more or less into political correctness than compared to people in other areas of the country?

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 08-29-2011 at 09:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 09:52 AM

166 posts, read 432,644 times
I'm a transplant (Michigan).... and I can speak for myself only. I'm offended by racists, bigots and homophobes, generally all forms of ignorant intolerance. If that's 'political correctness'.....ok. But it's the way I was brought up, not a position i've adopted to be cool or 'correct'. I'm in my 50's.. so not raised by hippies, just decent midwestern folks. I am pretty thin-skinnned when it comes to this. I tend to call people out when I hear it. I dont think its a regional phenomenon, I really hope it isn't.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:12 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Nope, I don't think we're particularly thin-skinned; however, I also think Coloradoans, both long-timers and recent transplants, are generally kind and civil people, at least in the south metro neighborhood where I live.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-29-2011 at 10:39 AM..

Old 08-29-2011, 12:51 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,232 times
I travel a lot and know folks from all over the country. As a rule, Coloradoans are not thin skinned, not near as much as some. but keep in mind a lot of people have moved here from elsewhere.

We are pretty laid back and not so much worried about PC issues. Have a sense of humor, is a better goal that being PC.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:58 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
Especially where people jump to the wrong conclusion and react in an offended manner. Maybe being a bit "thin-skinned" and not able to handle a difference in opinions without reacting in an emotional way.
^ Yes. I've had several occasions where I've made non-critical comments that were taken as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
Along the same lines, do you consider those from Colorado to be more or less into political correctness than compared to people in other areas of the country?
Absolutely not, but in my experience CO'ans typically don't steer conversations towards politically incorrect topics anyway.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:06 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
Sunderpig wrote:
Do you think Colorado residents are sometimes easily offended?
Like EVERYWHERE else, there are some overly sensitive people in Colorado who have cultivated the habit of allowing themselves to be offended by just about anything or anyone they dis-agree with. But this human foible is no more prevalent in Colorado than it is anywhere else. I find that people in Colorado ( transplants and oldtimers alike ) are pretty much the same as the people in ANY other place I've ever lived.

David Aguilar wrote:
CO'ans typically don't steer conversations towards politically incorrect topics anyway.
Shame on any of us who allow political correctness to dictate the topic of our discussions. I've fallen into that pigeon hole on ocassion and I think lowly of myself whenever I've censored myself in that manner. IMO, political correctness is mind control of the worst kind.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 08-29-2011 at 02:20 PM..

Old 08-29-2011, 02:56 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
David Aguilar wrote:
CO'ans typically don't steer conversations towards politically incorrect topics anyway.
Shame on any of us who allow political correctness to dictate the topic of our discussions. I've fallen into that pigeon hole on ocassion and I think lowly of myself whenever I've censored myself in that manner. IMO, political correctness is mind control of the worst kind.
Agreed -- I was just implying that discussions on race, sexual orientation, politics, religion, etc, aren't as common as discussions on sports, travel, hobbies, current events, history (local or otherwise), weed, etc.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:36 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
I'm referring to a recent case where I happened to discuss differences in areas/regions with regard to the gay-lesbian issue. I was adding to the conversation; not initiating the topic. I said nothing against that lifestyle, or against anyone. And yet folks jumped to the assumption that I was doing that (first mistake), and then bashed me - based on the incorrect assumption (second mistake).

I've lived in others states, and the people in the other locations did not do this. They listened to what I said, and took it at face value. They didn't read something else into it, modify the intent of what I was saying, and then use it against me.

By the way, I'm from the Midwest (parents are from Nebraska), and am in my late 40's. And concerning above, was not raised by hippies (or any other potentially derogative label) either.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 08-29-2011 at 04:21 PM..

Old 08-29-2011, 03:52 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I think in regular face to face conversation there isn't a problem. However in forum posts I have noticed that some responders don't really read the thread and can sometime jump to conclusions. I also feel that sitting behind a computer gives some people the impression that they can be jerks and take their bad attitude out on someone without facing any repercussions in real life It's not just Colorado, you should hang out on the pet forum, oh my!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:28 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Everywhere you go, there are people who are easily offended and others who are not.

IMO the state of COLO is no different from anywhere else.

Judging any state based on a few internet postings would almost certainly provide an unreliable indication.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: